colonoscopy afraid

ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Now that I've had bc, I'm afraid of all types of cancer. I'm 53 and overdue to have a colonoscopy. Today I have an appt. to discuss this with a doctor and then will schedule the colonoscopy. I am BRCA 1, but this is only supposed to affect breast and ovarian cancer and I already have had chemo and a double mastectomy and a hysterectomy. I don't know why I am so afraid they will find colon cancer since it doesn't even run in my family.

Has anyone else experienced being terrified of getting other cancers after bc?

Ohilly

Comments

• kew
    kew Member Posts: 24
    We're all afraid.
    Ohilly, we're probably all concerned about getting another cancer, whether it be breast cancer or another kind. It sort of feels like since we've had breast cancer we should be immune to all other health problems, doesn't it?

Force yourself to get the colonoscopy (I've heard that the worst part is not the actual colonoscopy but the prep to it!) Think how great you'll feel when you get that 100% clean bill of health!! And if it should turn out to be something serious (are you having any symptoms?) you can deal with that later.

Best wishes!!

kew
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Booty Cam
    Are you kidding???? Of course we are afraid that our bodies are now cancer harboring timebombs! I am convinced that hangnails, dry feet, or craving coffee at 5AM is a sure sign that I have some as yet undiagnosed cancer.

I had the "Booty Cam"~ and yeah...the prep is the worst part. Enemas and Go-lightly HA!

I found solace in knowing what the DOCTOR chose as his specialty and what he has to look at everyday! I just started laughing thinking about him deciding to put probes up peoples behinds and looking at the plumbing! At least I was in the twilight zone, and as NO evidence of cancer was found, I was told to go home and not come back for 5 years! And that worked for me!

Keep that appointment~ and you will be fine!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I got the 2-fer...
    I don't worry about whether cancer can happen twice....I had 2 different ones...lol!

My point is not to worry you, it is to say that it is very MUCH survivable, even if you hear those 3 words more than once....

If you saw my recent post, you will know that my 'other' cancer is colorectal cancer. I just had a scope. My view is that I would rather know about stuff as early as possible, because my survival chances go way up!!! And, with colorectal cancer, it is the ONLY cancer that is preventable...just by snipping off those nastly little polyps.

The colonoscopy, itself, is no big deal. Make sure they give you Versed (sp?) and Fentinol...you won't remember a thing (my last one was my 3rd in 4 years...)

The prep is a bit cumbersome. I don't do well on preps 'noncompliant' is the word for me with the GI guys. The latest worked the best...it was all pills, taken with my liquid of choice. Now, the pills are multivitamin size..so not for you, if you have trouble swallowing pills...over 2 hours you swallow 32 of them...

Don't plan any activities the day before your scope...you will be in the bathroom alot. The prep is supposed to clean you out...I actually eat a soft diet for 2 days before, low residue and spice, so that the prep will be easier. I also apply A&D ointment to the opening to protect the area, alot of fluid will be coming thru in a small amount of time.

Keep the appointment, do the scope...it's all in your best interest. And just think how good you will feel afterwards....when you get the 'all clear'!!!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Just one more thing.....
    Ohilly, I know what you mean. Since my BC I have harbored the worry that having had one cancer somehow makes me more vulnerable to another. I actually asked my oncologist and he said absolutely not. Phew! Ofcourse with that being said some people do get diagnosed with more than one cancer unfortunately. But, we must remember that as others have said, we are fortunate to have these screening tests and they can catch cancer at the very earliest stage which in turn makes it beatable. I know having the test is scary because you worry about the results until you get the "all clear" word from the doctor. But, it is worth it so don't put it off any longer, ok? Good luck, Eil
  • PattyB5533
    PattyB5533 Member Posts: 24
    Eil4186 said:

Just one more thing.....
    Ohilly, I know what you mean. Since my BC I have harbored the worry that having had one cancer somehow makes me more vulnerable to another. I actually asked my oncologist and he said absolutely not. Phew! Ofcourse with that being said some people do get diagnosed with more than one cancer unfortunately. But, we must remember that as others have said, we are fortunate to have these screening tests and they can catch cancer at the very earliest stage which in turn makes it beatable. I know having the test is scary because you worry about the results until you get the "all clear" word from the doctor. But, it is worth it so don't put it off any longer, ok? Good luck, Eil

colonoscopy
    I,v had colonoscpies every 2 years since I was 18yo. I'm 42 now. I have a disease called crohns. Also hx of colon ca in fm. ( And I get breast Ca, no fm hx, go figure) there are 3 main types of prep, Golytely, Fleets Phospha-soda, and the pills which you follow with water. Discuss with the doctor what is best for you. I prefer the fleets phopha-soda plus it is an over the counter drug costing about 3 bucks. Make sure to have procedure under IV sedation. Versed and Fentanyl are the 2 drugs of choice. Best because of their amnesia effect, you won't remember a thing. Get the colonoscopy truly the prep is the worst part. Patty B