Itching

Options
NorcalJ
NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm hoping one of you amazing survivors can help with my irritating itching.

I finished chemo last week (HOORAY), but the joy of Taxol keeps giving. I have intense itching to my extremities at sometimes really inconvenient times.

I can't use oral Benadryl because it turns me into a jumpy tap dancer (if I could tap dance), and sleepy at the same time. So I look like a drunk, uncoordinated dancer!

I've tried diphenhydramine (Benadryl) cream with only short term relief.

Does anyone know a good solution, old grandmas recipe, or what have you, before I become more hyperkinetic than I normally am?

HELP!

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    So sorry you are so itchy.
    So sorry you are so itchy. How about Aveeno? Oatmeal was always an itch relief. I remember when my kids had the chicken pox, dr said to bathe them with aveeno body wash. It might help. Hugs, Lili
  • suzanne56
    suzanne56 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Itching
    Aveeno is probably the best, but I didn't like the smell. So I use baby oil. When I take a shower, before I get out I take a wash cloth and rub down with baby oil then just rinse under the shower and get out and pat dry. Beware baby oil makes the shower floor slick. But it's helped me.
    Hope you find something that works for you.
    Suzanne
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Grandma Cure
    When I was pregnant, I had the rare side effect of an itchy red rash on my belly. The doctor prescribed spray starch, the kind you use when you iron shirts. He said it would help. Having the baby helped more, but maybe it would work for you.

I read last week that sometimes itching is a sign of thyroid problems. Yours may be a direct result of the chemo, but just in case you might mention it to the doctor and have them run a check. . .

C. Abbott
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Itchy
    I used Aveeno, and also made my own by "whirring" oatmeal in the blender, adding non-fat dry milk powder and made a soothing milkbath products. Cheaper too!

I can't vouch for it, but just now I saw a TV ad for Eucerin Calming Body Wash for dry, itchy skin!

Have you tried any of the Sunburn Sprays such as Solarcaine? The "caine" in that is Lidocaine, a known anti-itch ingredient. Calamine and Caladryl can also be used, but they cannot be used in conjuntion with the oral meds, and they are rather messy.

I did itch during rads, and I got a prescription for hydrocortisone cream from my DR....I am not sure if any of the OTC cortisone creams will work for you, but maybe.

Hope something works for you!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia I
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    chenheart said:

Itchy
    I used Aveeno, and also made my own by "whirring" oatmeal in the blender, adding non-fat dry milk powder and made a soothing milkbath products. Cheaper too!

I can't vouch for it, but just now I saw a TV ad for Eucerin Calming Body Wash for dry, itchy skin!

Have you tried any of the Sunburn Sprays such as Solarcaine? The "caine" in that is Lidocaine, a known anti-itch ingredient. Calamine and Caladryl can also be used, but they cannot be used in conjuntion with the oral meds, and they are rather messy.

I did itch during rads, and I got a prescription for hydrocortisone cream from my DR....I am not sure if any of the OTC cortisone creams will work for you, but maybe.

Hope something works for you!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia I

Itching cures
    Of course the ultimate itching cure would be to have the Taxol all washed out of my body. And yes Claudia, I'm well hydrated---constantly---because I followed your advice.

That aside, I'm on my way out to get some of those great suggestions---with water bottle in hand ;>)

Thanks to you all,
    Jan