Postmenopausal and taking Arimidex.

Options
dorothyt
dorothyt Member Posts: 103
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm 53 years old, and I'm postmenopausal. I had a mastectomy in June for stage| cancer. I'm taking Arimidex, what kind of side affects should I expect? Is there someone that has been taking them for a long time.

Comments

• Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Arimidex
    Hi Dorothy

I am 54 and have been on Aromasin (a first cousin of Arimidex) for almost 2 yrs. I have had virtually no side effects from it. Not even hot flashes which a lot of women are bothered with. I stay tired a lot but I have from the beginning of treatment so I don't know what to blame that on. Every medicine treats everyone different. I hope you get along as well as I have with it.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Aromatase inhibitors
    Everybody reacts differently to medicines, so don't get too worked up about how someone else reacted to a medicine. Aromatase inhibitors work even better than tamoxifen, the gold standard for hormone-controlled cancer for years. They tend to cause hot flashes, sweating, and possibly joint inflamation. They also tend to reduce bone density. Over the last three years that I've been on this kind of drug, I've noticed all those symptoms, though how many were caused by surgical menapause (brief ovarian cancer scare that turned out to be false, thank goodness)and how many were caused by the aromatase inhibitor is not clear. I cope by staying positive. Hot flashes keep my feet warm in the winter and make running to the bathroom in the winter more comfortable. A glass of ice water and a wet washcloth makes the summer bearable. I just started the Fosamax for my bones after three years on exemestane (cousin of arimidex). For your information, some folks avoid the bone problems altogether by starting on Fosamax when they go on these drugs. My doctor waited. I exercise daily and try not to overdo stuff, especially carrying heavy shoulder bags or yoga toe stretches on my out-of-shape toe joints. I'm sure the exercise helps me weather a lot (as long as I don't overdo stuff and cause an injury!). Getting my vitamin D level tested and straightened out seemed to help a lot too. You may not have any of these problems at all. But if you do, write here for possible fixes. The folks here have lots of expertise that they will be glad to share.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Arimidex
    I am 59 and will be finishing my 5 years of Arimidex in January. I have had NO adverse side effects~ I take it in the morning, it is a 1mg pill and that's it for the day! It can cause weight gain, a spike in cholesterol levels, and even heart problems, but I did not exprience any of that. Any weight gain I had was from overeating and drinking wine! I cut back on both and upped my exercise regimin, and I am back to "normal".
    Some ppl cannot tolerate Arimidex; your Dr will have you come in for lab work every so often, and khe/she will let you know how well your system is tolerating the drug. Of course, if YOU feel or react badly, you will be the first to know!

Congrats on finishing treatment!! YAY!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Arimidex
    I've only been on Arimidex for 4 months - so far, so good. No weight gain, no joint pain or stiffness, no hot flashes, no nothing. I just had a bone density test and I'm fine - not even osteopenic (pre-osteo). I take calcium and vitamin D. Oh - I'm 66 years old. I asked my oncologist about the onset of side effects. She told me that everyone is different and that she has some patients who had menopausal side effects within the first few weeks of taking the drug. So, go figure. I'm feeling fortunate. Just one 1mg pill each morning and that's it. I walk approximately 2 miles a day weather permitting and try to stay active. Hang in there. Don't be fearful. In the event that you did develop any side effects, your doctor should guide you as to what to do. Good luck. Marilynn
  • hello kitty
    hello kitty Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Arimidex
    Hi Dorothy I'm 43 and I've been taking this medicine for the last 9 months and I experienced joint pain for about 2 months and now my cholesterol is up but other than that all is well, so I really think that it's different for every person but don't worry because we are survivors!
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Arimidex
    Hi Dorothy I'm 43 and I've been taking this medicine for the last 9 months and I experienced joint pain for about 2 months and now my cholesterol is up but other than that all is well, so I really think that it's different for every person but don't worry because we are survivors!

Vit D
    I had joint pain in my toe joints. The podiatrist said I had an over-use injury (those nasty toe stretches in yoga on Friday's!) and gave me orthodics and toe splints that I had to wear for a year and a half. He said that was normal for that particular problem, but my feet still hurt from time to time. I know I mentioned it in the earlier post, but don't forget to get your vitamin D level checked if you have joint pain. Even folks with regular arthritis are now doing this. My sugical oncological nurse practioner recommended that I get tested. Cancer patients tend to be low though it is not clear if it is a cause of cancer or an effect of it. Low levels are associated with joint inflamation and pain. I was taking Calcium with vit. D, a multi with D, and three or four glasses of milk daily with D added, but I still turned up low when tested. When they added prescription vitamin D to the mix it was like extra strength Ibruprofen without the nose bleeds! It helped a lot. Once levels were "normal" again, I went on the over-the-counter stuff. Be careful and see your doctor for testing. There are side effects to over-dosing, so see your doctor before you go to supplements.
  • dorothyt
    Options
    Jadie said:

Arimidex
    Hi Dorothy

I am 54 and have been on Aromasin (a first cousin of Arimidex) for almost 2 yrs. I have had virtually no side effects from it. Not even hot flashes which a lot of women are bothered with. I stay tired a lot but I have from the beginning of treatment so I don't know what to blame that on. Every medicine treats everyone different. I hope you get along as well as I have with it.

Thanks, I needed to know
    Thanks, to everyone for your support. I needed to know because right now I am lost. I am gaining weight but this started before my mastectomy. I have hot flashes but not as bad as I did going though menopause. I am tired a lot. Sometimes I get dizzy when I bend down. I take 1mg of the Arimidex anastrozole at night I also take my bloodpressure medicine at night. I know that I have to take it day by day.

Thanks agian.
  • jasperjoan
    jasperjoan Member Posts: 4
    Options
    arimidex
    I am taking Arimidex, but have only been on it for about 7 months. I sometimes have hot flashes, but not as severe as menopause ones. I had osteopenia before breast cancer, so we are watching my bone density levels. I am tired though. My best time is in the a.m., after noon, I don't seem to have much energy. Sometimes I don't seem to concentrate very well. I have had trouble sleeping, but that was true before cancer. Radiation was very emotionally difficult for me, and I have had a lot of stress reliving those traumatic treatments. I turned 60 the month I finished my radiation treatments.

I am trying to walk regularly with Walk Away The Pounds DVDs. I was doing 5 miles before cancer, but am starting with 1 mile a day...and I can do the fast 1 mile.

I am glad to see others comments about the Arimidex. I am new to this site, so thank each of you for your info.
  • ninjamom
    ninjamom Member Posts: 142
    Options
    I started herceptin on the
    I started herceptin on the 10th and Arimidex on the 13th of this month. So far so good, I do feel tired in the afternoon (usually after 1:00 p.m. but I think its from work), I had more hot flashes during chemo than now (thank you God!!)they use to drive me crazy. I'm still having trouble sleeping, nights are not good for me because I think too much. Oh yeah! I'm 53.

Patty
  • dorothyt
    Options
    ninjamom said:

I started herceptin on the
    I started herceptin on the 10th and Arimidex on the 13th of this month. So far so good, I do feel tired in the afternoon (usually after 1:00 p.m. but I think its from work), I had more hot flashes during chemo than now (thank you God!!)they use to drive me crazy. I'm still having trouble sleeping, nights are not good for me because I think too much. Oh yeah! I'm 53.

Patty

Since my mastectomy I've
    Since my mastectomy I've been having touble sleeping. I hate having to go to bed. Sometimes I stay up real late. When I do lie down I toss and turn. At 6:30AM I'm up. Maybe if I walk alonger distance, than I do , it would help. I get dizzy so I don't go far from my home. Also I had the bone density test and the CT scans and everything was OK. Patty I think we all think to much. I live in a rural area, I haven't been to any support groups, I'm glad I found this web site it has help me alot to be able to talk to other people with Breast Cancer.
  • deemarie100
    deemarie100 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    greeting
    I had breast cancer about 3 years ago and it metastiss to my lung,I am on docetaxel,herceptinand carboplatin.I am in good health over all.what is the survival rate for mettastasis. I want to see my daughter graduate from Law school. I just had a treatment wednesday and belive it or not I am feeling pretty good,my Doc does not give me any solid answer . I will take a third treatmen and then they will scan me to see what is going on. with me.Oh I dont have it in my breast.Will arimmidex help me so that this cancer wont come back? I am 60 yuears young.please keep me up in prayer.
  • dorothyt
    Options

greeting
    I had breast cancer about 3 years ago and it metastiss to my lung,I am on docetaxel,herceptinand carboplatin.I am in good health over all.what is the survival rate for mettastasis. I want to see my daughter graduate from Law school. I just had a treatment wednesday and belive it or not I am feeling pretty good,my Doc does not give me any solid answer . I will take a third treatmen and then they will scan me to see what is going on. with me.Oh I dont have it in my breast.Will arimmidex help me so that this cancer wont come back? I am 60 yuears young.please keep me up in prayer.

deemarie, I will keep you in
    deemarie, I will keep you in my prayers. I have only been taking Arimidex for three months and I can't say if the cancer will come back but I pray to God it do not. There's someone on CSN that can tell you more.
  • kevindee
    kevindee Member Posts: 72
    Options
    arimidex
    hi dorothy. im 54 stage 3. i start the pill today, im nervous to i have some heart problems already also sugar. im waiting for someone to be here in the house before i take it. did you have any side effects right away. hope youre doing well and thanks for any input
  • dorothyt
    Options
    kevindee said:

arimidex
    hi dorothy. im 54 stage 3. i start the pill today, im nervous to i have some heart problems already also sugar. im waiting for someone to be here in the house before i take it. did you have any side effects right away. hope youre doing well and thanks for any input

Hi, Kevindee I'm doing find.
    Hi, Kevindee I'm doing find. I take my pill at night before I go to bed. Read the posts . from the others they help me. I'm 53 with stage 1. Everyone may not have the same side affects. Some may not have any at all. You know the saying"We are all the same, but we're different" that what I think of. We all had or have cancer but the side affects from the treatments differ in every one of us.