Male Breast Cancer - Put some BLUE in the Pink!

Options
ManWithaMission
ManWithaMission Member Posts: 497
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
October is Breast Cancwer Awearness Month! Than why don't more people know that MEN can get
Breast Cancer too? I am a white male,55,overweight and I have/had Breast Cancer last year.
I had this lump since I was a teenager. About 4 years ago I noticed it was about the size
of a "Golf ball". I went for a biopcsy and it was cancerous. After the Mascetomy,the Chemo
therapy and the Radiation I am now cancer free. Why didn't someone tell me about this years
ago? Why don't Doctors examine men for lumps in their chest? Let's make people(men) awear
of this! Lets put a little BLUE in the Pink!

Comments

• Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    I agree
    You have a good point. If men knew they had a risk, then they might be more likely to get examined during doctor visits/physicals.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    hear, hear
    I agree. seof
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    That should be your mission
    That should be your mission Robert to educate men to the risks of breast cancer. Albeit there are few of you, it still is important that you are examined during your physical exams, just like women are. Hugs to you, Lili
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    ribbons
    Perhaps they could create a purple ribbon (pink plus blue) to really raise the awareness! haha
    Serously, no more ribbons, but just people talking about breat cancer without making it gender specific would do wonders. While I know my son is at low risk, I mad sure he knows the facts!
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Write an article!
    October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Maybe you could write an article for the local newspaper or a magazine or something. A lot of men don't know they are at risk. I've been told that the rate of breast cancer in men is actually rising even faster than the rate for women is, though it is still fairly rare for men and way too common a disease for women. Good luck in your fight! I hope they find a non-pink room for you to wait in when you go for your yearly exams!

C. Abbott