Pink Ribbon yuk

Options
2»

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    in the pink
    Well, today is my birthday and my husband brought home a cake with my name and a happy face on top in pink icing. I choose to think the pink stands for famininity. I don't have any females, just guys in this family (I'm just counting my kids and husband in the count) unless you want to count my dog so pink has a different meaning for me. I don't know what promted the pink icing but I'm sure it's not related to being a survivor. At one point I started dressing in pink in my thirties just because I decided just because I didn't have girls didn't meant I had to buy all blue stuff. I was a female and could wear pink! So if you ever see me in pink, just remember it's not because I'm a breast cancer survivor but because I survived living with three guys!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

in the pink
    Well, today is my birthday and my husband brought home a cake with my name and a happy face on top in pink icing. I choose to think the pink stands for famininity. I don't have any females, just guys in this family (I'm just counting my kids and husband in the count) unless you want to count my dog so pink has a different meaning for me. I don't know what promted the pink icing but I'm sure it's not related to being a survivor. At one point I started dressing in pink in my thirties just because I decided just because I didn't have girls didn't meant I had to buy all blue stuff. I was a female and could wear pink! So if you ever see me in pink, just remember it's not because I'm a breast cancer survivor but because I survived living with three guys!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Doesn't feeling "in the pink" mean we are well and healthy???!!! You have survived indeed, and you have made us all smile as we share your pink-icing cyber cake!!!!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

in the pink

Sorry Marcia, I'm a day late
    Sorry Marcia, I'm a day late in wishing you the happiest of birthdays. Didn't get on the computer last nite. Hope you had a great day and I also like pink. Hugs, Lili
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    Marcia527 said:

in the pink

Happy Celebration
    Happy Birthday Marcia! I also like pink,the bolder,the better...just like us!! Have a wonderful, healthy year.
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options

Pink Ribbon yuk
    If you ladies hate "Pink" so much,think about us MEN! Real men don't wear pink!LOL!!!
    I have a friend who gave me a "Pink Ribbon Coffe Mug" and a "Pink Ribbon Car Air Freshner".
    I just smile and say "Thanks". I hope she is just doing it as joke because I am a guy. With
    all this "PINK" I feel I am being forgotten or discriminated against.I just want to be counted and remembered, too! I had no "life changing" moment when I was diagnosed with my
    cancer or ever thought that it could "KILL" me. I guess that's because I lived with "IT"
    so long I just took it for granted. It does scare me to think that "IT" could come back,
    or that it could spread somewhere else. That's why I do my "Self Breast Exams" and have a yearly Mamogram.(Boy, I sure know WHAT you women go through with that now!!!lol). Yesterday,
    here in New Bern,NC we had our yearly Chrysanthemum Festeval or "Mum Fest" for short. Well,
    the local Diagnostic Center has a booth there for Breast Cancer and my wife called to ask
    if I could sit and talk to people about Male Breast Cancer, and they said YES! I enjoyed
    myself so much that I'm thinking about going back again today. What surprised me most,I
    think, was the fact that so few women and even fewer men did not know that men could get Breast Cancer. Live and learn.

Mission man
    Wow, what a different journey this must be for you and I appreciate how you share your experience here. One of my favorite breast cancer support shirts that I saw before I was diagnosed was at a college campus. The lovely, perky girl had a shirt that said, "Save Second Base." I was with my son doing a college tour when this girl passed us by. Anything to put sports and sex into the category will get most guys' attention. My son and I both had a great laugh and discussion about how "IT" effects us all. Here's to learning and living more and more!
  • MsFit08
    MsFit08 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I LOVE PINK!
    OK...so I've been inundated with the PINK "stuff" (ribbons, clothing, utensils, roses, etc.) YOU NAME IT, I HAVE IT IN PINK...good thing, is...I LOVE PINK! It represents many things in life...not just BREAST CANCER!

I know it's hard sometimes to be positive when your skin is itching and burning from the chemo..(try taking an oatmeal bath...it REALLY HELPS!) I had to wear super-duper soft fleece material, because cotton felt like razor-blades on my skin...even lotions felt like they were burning my skin...sometimes the medication would make me feel like a caged lion, or I've just had a pot of coffee (good thing I love coffee..lol)! Drink tons of water to flush the toxins. Towards my last treatment, I would have to drink that 'numbing' medication to keep the blisters from burning so badly (so I could eat SOMETHING)...even water would burn, but I did everything by myself (doctor's appts, grocery shopping, making "meals", etc.), and looked at everything the way I did before I got sick...it's a challenge! Fine! Bring it on!

I did the Avon 3-Day walk, 5 months out of chemo...just to prove that I'm stronger than cancer...HA! I was exhausted, hot, tired, and wondering what the heck I got myself into...but I was the last pink shirt to walk in, and I was damn proud of myself!

Embrace your friends...some of my best friends, or so I thought they were, avoided me because I looked much different, but I understood...sometimes people cannot handle your disease, and you feel alone. Even felt like my family seemed to avoid me...I was no longer that toned, long blonde haired "beautiful" woman...I was bald, bloated, swollen...but, I still treated every day as another day ALIVE, and closer to my GOAL (surviving, getting through this, and hitting the gym again)!

There are never any guarantees in life...WITH OR WITHOUT CANCER...only GOD knows when we are going to leave this earth. Be grateful for everything around you...nature, people, the home you live in, the food you eat, and the clothes on your back...even PINK ones! :D

OH, and for those that are wondering (or not)...that's a picture of me NOW...8 years later!!

Hugs to all, and God Bless You!
    Beth
  • mmontero38
    Options
    MsFit08 said:

I LOVE PINK!
    OK...so I've been inundated with the PINK "stuff" (ribbons, clothing, utensils, roses, etc.) YOU NAME IT, I HAVE IT IN PINK...good thing, is...I LOVE PINK! It represents many things in life...not just BREAST CANCER!

I know it's hard sometimes to be positive when your skin is itching and burning from the chemo..(try taking an oatmeal bath...it REALLY HELPS!) I had to wear super-duper soft fleece material, because cotton felt like razor-blades on my skin...even lotions felt like they were burning my skin...sometimes the medication would make me feel like a caged lion, or I've just had a pot of coffee (good thing I love coffee..lol)! Drink tons of water to flush the toxins. Towards my last treatment, I would have to drink that 'numbing' medication to keep the blisters from burning so badly (so I could eat SOMETHING)...even water would burn, but I did everything by myself (doctor's appts, grocery shopping, making "meals", etc.), and looked at everything the way I did before I got sick...it's a challenge! Fine! Bring it on!

I did the Avon 3-Day walk, 5 months out of chemo...just to prove that I'm stronger than cancer...HA! I was exhausted, hot, tired, and wondering what the heck I got myself into...but I was the last pink shirt to walk in, and I was damn proud of myself!

Embrace your friends...some of my best friends, or so I thought they were, avoided me because I looked much different, but I understood...sometimes people cannot handle your disease, and you feel alone. Even felt like my family seemed to avoid me...I was no longer that toned, long blonde haired "beautiful" woman...I was bald, bloated, swollen...but, I still treated every day as another day ALIVE, and closer to my GOAL (surviving, getting through this, and hitting the gym again)!

There are never any guarantees in life...WITH OR WITHOUT CANCER...only GOD knows when we are going to leave this earth. Be grateful for everything around you...nature, people, the home you live in, the food you eat, and the clothes on your back...even PINK ones! :D

OH, and for those that are wondering (or not)...that's a picture of me NOW...8 years later!!

Beth

Thanks Beth for your
    Thanks Beth for your ispiring words. Hard to face but so true. We are survivors from the time we are diagnosed, because we have the fight of our lives ahead of us. Glad everything went well for you hoping that when all is over and done with I will look as great as you do. Hugs, Lili
  • MsFit08
    MsFit08 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thanks Beth for your
    Thanks Beth for your ispiring words. Hard to face but so true. We are survivors from the time we are diagnosed, because we have the fight of our lives ahead of us. Glad everything went well for you hoping that when all is over and done with I will look as great as you do. Hugs, Lili

We are survivors EVERY DAY!
    I think you look BEAUTIFUL, Lili...beauty comes from within, not just on the outside. You are so lucky...(I'm assuming that's your husband in the picture with you)...I wish I was married, had kids, etc. I've never been married, and don't have any children (and never will be able to now), but there's someone special out there for me! (where are you, mr. right???...lol)

Now for those that don't believe in the power of prayer, or God for that matter (which I don't understand why...but that's me)...it was told to me one day when I was going through chemo: "God helps those who help themselves". I thought, 'that's kind of mean'...lol...but, it's true! We are IN CHARGE of our treatments, our choices in doctor's, and taking care of our bodies (as hard as it is sometimes)...we take for granted so many things in life.

If we could all remember that, the struggles we face every day, every minute, are given to us because God knows we can handle it; then it makes every day much easier to handle. Problem is we are always looking towards the future, instead of living for the day/moment!

Find something you are passionate about, and channel it during your treatment (crafting, reading, sewing, etc.)...it helps you get through the day/moment. Reach for a goal (ok, that's the future) but, still live for TODAY!

I made a list of "things to do when I got better"...getting married, skydiving, balloon rides (those haven't happened yet, but they will), etc., helped me too...my list got long, and as I obtained them, I checked them off...one of my biggest dreams was to RIDE A PINK HARLEY (LOL...there I go again...PINK!)...

...I bought a Harley when I was done, and painted it PINK METALLIC FLAKE (yes, I did it)! YIPPEEEE!

Stay strong...give many hugs,
    Beth :D
  • mmontero38
    Options
    MsFit08 said:

We are survivors EVERY DAY!
    I think you look BEAUTIFUL, Lili...beauty comes from within, not just on the outside. You are so lucky...(I'm assuming that's your husband in the picture with you)...I wish I was married, had kids, etc. I've never been married, and don't have any children (and never will be able to now), but there's someone special out there for me! (where are you, mr. right???...lol)

Now for those that don't believe in the power of prayer, or God for that matter (which I don't understand why...but that's me)...it was told to me one day when I was going through chemo: "God helps those who help themselves". I thought, 'that's kind of mean'...lol...but, it's true! We are IN CHARGE of our treatments, our choices in doctor's, and taking care of our bodies (as hard as it is sometimes)...we take for granted so many things in life.

If we could all remember that, the struggles we face every day, every minute, are given to us because God knows we can handle it; then it makes every day much easier to handle. Problem is we are always looking towards the future, instead of living for the day/moment!

Find something you are passionate about, and channel it during your treatment (crafting, reading, sewing, etc.)...it helps you get through the day/moment. Reach for a goal (ok, that's the future) but, still live for TODAY!

I made a list of "things to do when I got better"...getting married, skydiving, balloon rides (those haven't happened yet, but they will), etc., helped me too...my list got long, and as I obtained them, I checked them off...one of my biggest dreams was to RIDE A PINK HARLEY (LOL...there I go again...PINK!)...

...I bought a Harley when I was done, and painted it PINK METALLIC FLAKE (yes, I did it)! YIPPEEEE!

Stay strong...give many hugs,
    Beth :D

Thanks Beth for the
    Thanks Beth for the encouraging words. Though I am also done with my treatments I am still on Tamoxifen for the next 4 years. Seems like a lifetime right now. I am lucky in that I have a wonderful and supportive husband. Unfortunately, other complications have arrived due to chemo and I don't in my eyes look as good as I did in that picture, but, I do thank God that I am alive and hope to be around for my kids for many more years. It's been a long fight and journey as many I'm sure will agree. But with the strength and love of God we will get through every challenge that is placed in our way. Hugs to you, Lili
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    dbs1673 said:

Mission man
    Wow, what a different journey this must be for you and I appreciate how you share your experience here. One of my favorite breast cancer support shirts that I saw before I was diagnosed was at a college campus. The lovely, perky girl had a shirt that said, "Save Second Base." I was with my son doing a college tour when this girl passed us by. Anything to put sports and sex into the category will get most guys' attention. My son and I both had a great laugh and discussion about how "IT" effects us all. Here's to learning and living more and more!

Sports Bra?????
    Good laugh!!! I have that T shirt too!!! Got one for a 3 time sutvivor friend as well! I also have a Ta-Tas are awesome shirt!

hugs,
    Claudia
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    MsFit08 said:

I LOVE PINK!

Beth

Loved your post, Beth. You
    Loved your post, Beth. You got it right. I looked at that beautiful woman in your picture and thought, boy, she had to give up a lot of youth/beauty when DX'ed. To find out that is your picture NOW is incredibly uplifting!!!! Yay!!!thanks for the happiness, love Joyce (pretty hot a year after DX myself!)
  • Stormy8281
    Stormy8281 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    chenheart said:

Tickled Pink????
    UH OH...I admit it~ my sister got me the KitchenAid stand mixer~ in PINK ~along with the matching PINK knife set! A neice got me the Joy Of Cooking, Pink BC Edition ( did you even know there was one??)...so far, no one has gotten me a pink apron! But then again, the holiday season is upon us,isn't it?? Thanks for the chuckle!

Hugs,
    Chenheart

Uh Oh!!!
    Chenheart,

I'm so sorry I can't cancel my gift to you. It's the pink apron! LOL

I wrote sometime ago about concerned friends giving me "pink/ribbon" gifts, and getting rid of them. I'm am so happy to see all of these comments....I feel so much better.

Lots of Hugs,
    Gale