Bruising...

CR1954
CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Good morning!

Woke up with a huge bruise on my wrist/arm. No idea where it came from. Bruising is pretty common during chemo???

Thanks,
CR

Comments

• NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    CR,
    Bruising can be

CR,

Bruising can be possible. Do you have a port or did they give you the chemo thru your arm? If it was in your arm, it would explain it more, but if you have a port, did you bump your arm on something (even if it didn't hurt)? Also, sometimes it depends on what else you're taking. Aspirin, ibuprophen (Advil, Motrin), some steroids like prednisone, vitE,garlic, ginger, are a few of things that can cause some blood thinning and a tendancy to bleed more easily.

When in doubt, call the chemo nurses. It's always a good idea to let them know when something out of the ordinary happens. And if you take any of the above, and haven't let them know, tell them now.

Let us know what happens.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    I have a port..
    I have a port, so that isn't what caused the bruising. I just woke this morning and it was there, the whole underside of my wrist and extending up my arm. No clue as to what I did.

I looked on my chemo "fact sheet" that the onc gave me & it said that it happens when platelet count is low. Simply suggests to try & not do anything that will bruise....

I am not taking any blood thinners or aspirin (I stopped that before chemo started), so not sure. It just really startled me when I saw it.

Thanks for the advice. If I continue to have bruising to this extent, I will certainly let the doctor know

Thanks!
    CR
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Bruise
    I'll bet you're right about the platelet count. You might just keep your eye on it, or even draw a line with a pen around the edge to see if it gets bigger. If it doesn't start turning red, green or yellow (resolving), or if it does get bigger, I'd definitely call the Dr. Sometimes they have you put some warmth or cold compresses on it depending how long it's been there, good question to ask. Maybe you just rolled over it during the night???

Good luck!