Recurring breast infections after lumpectomy, chemo & radiation

Options
Fran1947
Fran1947 Member Posts: 72
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just had my third breast infection in 6 months - and this is 6 years after treatment! Has anyone else had this issue?

Fran

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Fran: Can't say I have
    Hi Fran: Can't say I have because I had a mastectomy, but do the doctor's know why you keep getting infections? Have they sent you for an mri? What kind of infection are you getting? Keep us posted. Hugs, Lili
  • Fran1947
    Options
    I had an MRI in June - which
    I had an MRI in June - which showed nothing. I also had a skin biopsy in June which also showed nothing. I just had 2 more skin biopsies and another MRI this week. This time the MRI showed a microscopic "something" at the site of my previous cancer. I am currently in the process of scheduling a biopsy of that something, as soon as they decide if they can do it with ultrasound guidance or if I will have to do it with MRI guidance. All three times the breast got infected it did respond to antibiotics - although this time I had to go into the hospital for IV antibiotics. Never-the-less, it did end up responding.

I am very concerned that it might be Inflammatory Breast Cancer, which they are actively checking for. I think I am looking for reassurance that it also could just be an infection, maybe because of radiation/surgical damage to the lymph system in the breast.

I suppose I will find out next week!

Thanks & Hugs!

Fran
  • mmontero38
    Options
    Fran: You'll be in my
    Fran: You'll be in my prayers. Hoping it's nothing serious. Please keep us posted. Hugs, Lili
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I dunno, hon
    I wish I knew, but I just don't, hon! But I add my healing thoughts and a quick diagnosis of nothing important! Did that make any sense? LOL I only want all of us to be well and healthy and I hope you find out soon what is causing the infections.

Keep us posted!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Fran1947
    Options
    chenheart said:

I dunno, hon
    I wish I knew, but I just don't, hon! But I add my healing thoughts and a quick diagnosis of nothing important! Did that make any sense? LOL I only want all of us to be well and healthy and I hope you find out soon what is causing the infections.

Keep us posted!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Oh well.....
    Well I had a core needle biopsy last Monday & the results came back as a new primary breast cancer in the same breast from 7 years ago. I will be having a mastectomy the end of this month. So far it looks tiny, but I will know more after the surgery.

They still don't know why I got the infection - but it did cause me to find this new cancer very early, so I guess it was worth it!
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Fran1947 said:

Oh well.....
    Well I had a core needle biopsy last Monday & the results came back as a new primary breast cancer in the same breast from 7 years ago. I will be having a mastectomy the end of this month. So far it looks tiny, but I will know more after the surgery.

They still don't know why I got the infection - but it did cause me to find this new cancer very early, so I guess it was worth it!

A thousand and one....
    HUGGGGS! How strong you are to look on the bright side.
    All good hopes and prayers that it is tinier than tiny.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Fran1947 said:

Oh well.....

I am glad that you found it
    I am glad that you found it early under these circumstances. It is nice to think our body lets us know when something is wrong. Here's to quick and complete recovery!
    love and hugs, Joyce
  • Fran1947
    Options
    zahalene said:

A thousand and one....
    HUGGGGS! How strong you are to look on the bright side.
    All good hopes and prayers that it is tinier than tiny.

Thanks!
    Thanks! The hugs, hopes & especially the prayers are what keep me going!
  • mmontero38
    Options
    Fran1947 said:

Oh well.....

So sorry you're battling the
    So sorry you're battling the beast again, but glad it was caught early. Please keep us posted with your progress. Hugs to you, Lili
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Fran1947 said:

Oh well.....

That's how they found my breast cancer...
    After battling rectal cancer, a PET scan to find the possible metastisis lit up a lump in my breast...funny, it had been itching for a few months before that...

Our bodies can tell us many things, if we know how to listen...

I am sending my biggest hugs to you, and please keep us posted.

Hugs, Kathi
  • Fran1947
    Options
    New Breast Cancer
    Just an update. I had a mastectomy 10/30 and am still waiting to find out if I will need chemo again. The tumor was .5 cc, so that is tiny, but the Oncotype DX showed it as carrying an intermediate risk of recurrence - only they don't have much data on small tumors, so we don't know how accurate the prediction is....I have an appointment at City of Hope tomorrow for a second opinion, and another appointment next Monday with an oncologist at UCLA. Then I go back to my own oncologist next Wednesday & we will make the decision.

I appreciate all your support!
  • mmontero38
    Options
    Fran1947 said:

New Breast Cancer
    Just an update. I had a mastectomy 10/30 and am still waiting to find out if I will need chemo again. The tumor was .5 cc, so that is tiny, but the Oncotype DX showed it as carrying an intermediate risk of recurrence - only they don't have much data on small tumors, so we don't know how accurate the prediction is....I have an appointment at City of Hope tomorrow for a second opinion, and another appointment next Monday with an oncologist at UCLA. Then I go back to my own oncologist next Wednesday & we will make the decision.

I appreciate all your support!

Thanks Fran for updating us.
    Thanks Fran for updating us. I was wondering what had happened. I do hope that you don't have to go through chemo again, but if you do, you know you have out support here on the board. Please let us know what the oncologists say. Hugs, Lili