Hot Flash No-No

Options
cabbott
cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
As I was reading tonight, I came across an article of interest to those of us on aromatase inhibitors. One of the problems of lowering your estrogen even lower than menapause does are the hot flashes. The article described research that showed that taking soy supplements negates the positive effects of the aromatase inhibitors. Here's the link: http://www.news.uiuc.edu/news/08/0923genistein.html . Soy supplements, not an occassional soy food, were what was researched. Apparently what knocked out the hot flashes also knocked out the drug. Just thought you might want to know.

C. Abbott

Comments

• survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Soy
    My doctor stated that I could not have soy with the hormone blocker. She said it would not allow the drug to work as it should.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Soy
    Hi Cabbott: My doctor told me to avoid soy all together while on the tamoxifen. So I've avoided any kind of supplements that contain soy as well as foods. Hugs, Lili
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I have been trying to come
    I have been trying to come to peace with the soy thing. My BC is 45% Estrogen pos. So, what is good for 45% is bad for 55%. I guess I will avoid soy, though as a mostly vegan, it is hard. Many sites say some soy is okay, just don't overdo. Thanks for the article information. love, Joyce
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I just wanted to add that it
    I just wanted to add that it seems to me that soy would increase the growth of tumors also in those women who do not know about them yet. Since BC is so prevalent, and estrogen+ likely, it seems that all women might want to think twice before upping their soy. Joyce
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

I just wanted to add that it
    I just wanted to add that it seems to me that soy would increase the growth of tumors also in those women who do not know about them yet. Since BC is so prevalent, and estrogen+ likely, it seems that all women might want to think twice before upping their soy. Joyce

I agree Joyce. Though soy
    I agree Joyce. Though soy may be good it can be harmful for us with estrogen + tumors. I know that for vegetarians, it is a good source of protein, but there are other dried legumes, such as lentils and beans that pack high amounts of protein without giving us the risk of added soy. Hugs, Lili