family member of someone just diagnosed today - what can we do long distance for her?

Options
2»

Comments

• kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    lisa42 said:

pajama gram
    When I was diagnosed a year ago (doing well, though!), the outpouring of care from my friends was so important to me! Cards and emails were definitely important. If you're wanting to send a "care" package, though, some advice from my perspective... I got many, many lotions and shower gel type baskets- way more than I could use & some of which bothered my allergies. I was grateful, of course, anyhow because it was the thought behind it that counted. One gift, however, that I thought was a lot of fun was a "pajama gram". It was an actual pajama gram (you could probably find it online if you googled pajama gram). The pj's were cute & comfortable & came in a cute container. Just a thought-
    Best wishes to your cousin- I know firsthand how devastating it can be. I remember being devastated at hearing my daughter's friend's mom had breast cancer & then I ended up getting my own rectal cancer diagnosis shortly thereafter. Take it from me- most people appreciate hearing from their loved ones & are a little sad about the relatives and/or friends that just never call or send that card because they probably "don't know what to say". I still feel a little sad, over a year later, about the couple of friends whom I never heard from. I now feel too weird to let them know how well I'm doing, since they didn't seem to show they cared when I was so ill.
    Take care & God bless (God CAN and DOEs do amazing things!!!)
    Lisa

luv it
    I LOVE this idea and I'm soooo stealing it! ;)

Kimby
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    another idea
    I started thinking about when I was first diagnosed. I had emergency surgery and they found the cancer so I told everyone from a hospital bed. A dear friend of mine (a cancer survivor herself) didn't send flowers. She sent a humidifier for my hospital stay, chap stick, a small fan and foofoo smelling lotion (the girly stuff). It was quite thoughtful and made my stay more comfortable. Hospitals are very drying places!

I have since discovered a book that is FUN and helpful. I wish I had it at diagnosis and keep them on hand for the newly diagnosed.

Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips by Kris Carr
    She is a stage IV survivor dx at 31 with a very rare untreatable cancer. She is a HOOT!

Kimby