Quick tips for Erbitux/Avastin?

Options
KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Ok, guys, I KNOW you have done this MILLIONS of times before...but I would appreciate some tips for my friend who will be starting Erbitux/Avastin treatments in a week...Dealing with side effects...(MaryKay's pink stuff, right?), etc. I figure I will send her a microfiber throw to keep something soft and warm against her, but any other tips from the greatest tumor board in the world?

Thanks, in advance!

Hugs, Kathi

Comments

• Hanac
    Hanac Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Hi Kathi M,

Decadron got me through...and chocolate.

Love to All,

Hana
  • Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    Options
    skin rash was the worse
    I had erbitux but not evastin. The skin rash was horrible. They gave me antibiotics to stop new pimples from forming and I used cream vasaline to keep my skin moisturized and it helped to exfoliate the old skin. My face was really red but my friends said it wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be. Get treatment as soon as the rash startes (if it starts) to get it under control. Lots of fluids. Good luck. :)
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Madre said:

skin rash was the worse
    I had erbitux but not evastin. The skin rash was horrible. They gave me antibiotics to stop new pimples from forming and I used cream vasaline to keep my skin moisturized and it helped to exfoliate the old skin. My face was really red but my friends said it wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be. Get treatment as soon as the rash startes (if it starts) to get it under control. Lots of fluids. Good luck. :)

Rash, etc.
    The antibiotics are the key and she needs to get them started ASAP. There is also an antibiotic cream for the face that works well. I don't know if you can do both, but I would try to get both. The pills upset my stomach. After not having Erbitux for four weeks, I am still having a couple of the pimples forming every day. I also used Mineral Powder make-up to cover and it was wonderful. They tell you not to, but it was fine and made me feel much better about going out. At first, the rash is very itchy and burns as badly as if one had been burned. I used a small ice pack on my face for that.
    I must give my warning,also, about paronychial inflammation. I have posted this before and feel more people need to know about it. Only 14% of patients get it. It starts with redness around a finger or toe almost like a hangnail. It then progresses to a festering wound which causes layers of skin to fall off. It also travels around the nail to the tip of the finger...it also oozes blood. It is extremely painful. I think that being on the oral antibiotic might prevent it as when I found out that this was a staph infection, I said the heck with my stomach and took it. This infection lasts a long time. My right thumb is still wrapped up after a month. You can catch it early and use Neosporin and a band-aid and that usually helps. It does appear quickly, though. Obviously, my experience was not great, but everyone is different and she might do just fine. I will be thinking of her.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    nail problem
    I've had a problem with the Erbitux rash also. I went off it for 2 weeks & the pimples cleared all up, but I still have the red splotchy rash. I took Erbitux again today at 50% strength & my onc is hopeful my reaction won't be so bad this time. I'm on the oral antibiotic. Even after being off the Erbtiux for 2 weeks, though, I've noticed two toenails & 2 fingernails that appear red on the sides, like an ingrown toenail might appear. I'm assuming this must be from the Erbitux. I've just been using neosporin cream on it. Any other suggestions for the nails- do's or don'ts?
    Lisa
  • apache4
    Options
    lisa42 said:

nail problem
    I've had a problem with the Erbitux rash also. I went off it for 2 weeks & the pimples cleared all up, but I still have the red splotchy rash. I took Erbitux again today at 50% strength & my onc is hopeful my reaction won't be so bad this time. I'm on the oral antibiotic. Even after being off the Erbtiux for 2 weeks, though, I've noticed two toenails & 2 fingernails that appear red on the sides, like an ingrown toenail might appear. I'm assuming this must be from the Erbitux. I've just been using neosporin cream on it. Any other suggestions for the nails- do's or don'ts?
    Lisa

Nails
    Keep up the oral antibiotic as this helps to make it easier to control. I also covered the red part with a Band-Aid. This seemed to be important as I did try with and without. Watch for blood and oozy pus by the nail bed as this means it is getting worse. If it gets bad, wrap it with a non-stick gauze pad with Neosporin on it and self-sticking gauze tape. If it gets real bad, like mine did, you will find you need this for protection as it is extremely painful if bumped against something just a little. You should also soak it a couple times a day and then let dry before rebandaging. I surely hope your does not get worse. My right thumb is now a month and 1/2 and it is quite the handicap. Do not expect it to get better quickly. Also, look up the name of it on the web (see previous post) so that you know exactly what you are dealing with. Good luck. I hope this helps.
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    apache4 said:

Nails
    Keep up the oral antibiotic as this helps to make it easier to control. I also covered the red part with a Band-Aid. This seemed to be important as I did try with and without. Watch for blood and oozy pus by the nail bed as this means it is getting worse. If it gets bad, wrap it with a non-stick gauze pad with Neosporin on it and self-sticking gauze tape. If it gets real bad, like mine did, you will find you need this for protection as it is extremely painful if bumped against something just a little. You should also soak it a couple times a day and then let dry before rebandaging. I surely hope your does not get worse. My right thumb is now a month and 1/2 and it is quite the handicap. Do not expect it to get better quickly. Also, look up the name of it on the web (see previous post) so that you know exactly what you are dealing with. Good luck. I hope this helps.

NEED ADVICE
    MY HUSBAND IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HIS NAILS TOO ALONG WITH NEOSPORIN IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I SHOULD ASK FOR OR LOOK FOR IN THE PHARMACY? yOU REALLY NO ALOT I ALWAYS LOOK FOR YOUR POSTS THEY ARE VERY INFORMATIVE. WELL YSTERDAY MY HUSBAND WAS SUPPOSE TO GET CHEMO BUT HIS PORT WAS HURTING HIM IT FEELS LIKE THERE IS A NEEDLE IN IT SO THE CHEMO DEPT SENT HIM TO GET SOME XRAYS, THERE NOT SURE SO THEY WANT HIM TO GO BACK TO THE SURGEON WHO PUT THE PORT IN AND SEE WHAT THAT IS IT IS MOST LIKELY A STITCH BUT I WILL NO MORE IN ABOUT AN HOUR HE GOING THIS MORNING TO THE SURGEON.HE WAS PRETTY HAPPY NOT TO GET THE CHEMO BUT I WAS NOT, BECAUSE IT IS EVEYWHERE IN HIM I DON'T WANT THE CHEMO STOPPED BUT I GUESS THE CHEMO PEOPLE NO WHAT THEY ARE DOING. I FEEL SO BAD FOR HIM IT SEEMS EVEY WEEK THERE IS SOMETHING NEW THAT HURTS HIM. HE DOSEN;T ALWAYS TELL THE DOCTOR BECAUSE THEY SEEM TO JUST WANT TO GIVE YOU PRESCRIPTION AFTER PRESCRIPTION AND SOMETIMES HE SPENDS THE MONEY FOR THE MEDS AND THEY DON'T HELP HE THINKS IT A WASTE OF MONEY THAT WE HARDLY HAVE BUT I TOLD HIM WE WILL FIND A WAY TO PAY FOR THEM .BUT HE NO LONGER WORKS SO HE FEELS BAD ABOUT NOT HELPING WITH BILLS AND THINGS. PLEASE SEND PRAYERS FOR MY HUSBAND HIS NAME IS ANGEL THANKKS
  • apache4
    Options

NEED ADVICE
    MY HUSBAND IS HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HIS NAILS TOO ALONG WITH NEOSPORIN IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I SHOULD ASK FOR OR LOOK FOR IN THE PHARMACY? yOU REALLY NO ALOT I ALWAYS LOOK FOR YOUR POSTS THEY ARE VERY INFORMATIVE. WELL YSTERDAY MY HUSBAND WAS SUPPOSE TO GET CHEMO BUT HIS PORT WAS HURTING HIM IT FEELS LIKE THERE IS A NEEDLE IN IT SO THE CHEMO DEPT SENT HIM TO GET SOME XRAYS, THERE NOT SURE SO THEY WANT HIM TO GO BACK TO THE SURGEON WHO PUT THE PORT IN AND SEE WHAT THAT IS IT IS MOST LIKELY A STITCH BUT I WILL NO MORE IN ABOUT AN HOUR HE GOING THIS MORNING TO THE SURGEON.HE WAS PRETTY HAPPY NOT TO GET THE CHEMO BUT I WAS NOT, BECAUSE IT IS EVEYWHERE IN HIM I DON'T WANT THE CHEMO STOPPED BUT I GUESS THE CHEMO PEOPLE NO WHAT THEY ARE DOING. I FEEL SO BAD FOR HIM IT SEEMS EVEY WEEK THERE IS SOMETHING NEW THAT HURTS HIM. HE DOSEN;T ALWAYS TELL THE DOCTOR BECAUSE THEY SEEM TO JUST WANT TO GIVE YOU PRESCRIPTION AFTER PRESCRIPTION AND SOMETIMES HE SPENDS THE MONEY FOR THE MEDS AND THEY DON'T HELP HE THINKS IT A WASTE OF MONEY THAT WE HARDLY HAVE BUT I TOLD HIM WE WILL FIND A WAY TO PAY FOR THEM .BUT HE NO LONGER WORKS SO HE FEELS BAD ABOUT NOT HELPING WITH BILLS AND THINGS. PLEASE SEND PRAYERS FOR MY HUSBAND HIS NAME IS ANGEL THANKKS

Antibitic
    Just asking if he is on an antibiiotic? When I finally went on one, I noticed that the healing time was about a month shorter.
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    apache4 said:

Antibitic
    Just asking if he is on an antibiiotic? When I finally went on one, I noticed that the healing time was about a month shorter.

nails
    not yet he goes to the doc tuesday i will ask the doc then. what kind of antbiotic were you taking
  • apache4
    Options
    Not sure
    Hi!
    I am not sure now what the name of it was, threw away the bottle, but it was originally prescribed for the face rash. It helped the rash. I also got a lotion for the face rash which was an antibiotic which worked well. Is he suffering much from these side effects?