Options
2»

Comments

• mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    chenheart said:

Education???
    I must say that I get angry sometimes reading the posts....I know! I know! I am NOT always Stronger Than...sometimes I am Angry At!!!!

I am never angry at any of YOU...let me say that right up front. 5 1/2 years later, I am angry at my onco doc and what was NOT told or offered to me during treatment. When I read of "the educational meeting" you went to...I thought, what eductional meeting? I was never educated, nor did I know that education was available! I was never told about possible pain from Neulasta ( and I had the most severe reaction to it imaginable) nothing about neuropathy or what could be done about it ( I couldn't walk without pain for almost a year~ and yes, I menntioned it at EVERY Dr's visit!)..I was allergic to both the antibiotic and pain meds after surgery so I had to do it all cold turkey~ no options were given me. I never even heard about any of the ACS programs, including the wig program and what is it, Look Good Feel Good or something to that effect. And I was a member of CSN! Odd, indeed. The chatroom members, NewBoobs in particular told me to drink water! I never would have known to do that either...grrrrrr!! And what a necessary part of chemotherapy good hydration is!

In hindsight, I am damned lucky to be this far out! :-) I hope I never ever get cancer again, but IF I do, this time I will know what to expect, what to ask for and about, and be an advocate!

Whew...I haven't vented in a long time---thanks for the opportunity! I'm "over it" now! :-)

Hugs,
    Claudia

Welcome
    Welcome, Chen. Boy, glad you got that off your chest!!!!! I wasn't educated either and unfortunately didn't find this site until my chemo was over. Go figure. But I do want to say that you all taught me a lot and hope to never have to go through this again but do want to help others going through it. Love ya all, Hugs, Lili
  • kevindee
    kevindee Member Posts: 72
    Options

Supplements
    Hi Joyce,

At the beginning of all this while waiting for surgery, chemo etc. I was taking a few things.
    Indole 3 Carbinol, cat's claw, CoQ10 and flax seed were some of them. For a while I made sure I was getting a cup of broccoli a day. Broccoli is the only cruciferous veggie that isn't goitrogenic. I've heard cabbage leaves is an old cure for breast cancer.

Presently I'm down to Cal/Mag with 1000IU of Vitamin D. I stopped taking a multi-vite when I learned the A prevented the D from absorbing the Calcium and I wondered what else was cancelling itself out. When I'm ambitious I use www.nutritiondata.com and plug in my daily foods and see what I'm missing and then take that supplement. It's a fabulous site for tracking your foods and I was amazed to find out what I wasn't getting and what I was getting too much of.

I do keep the ground flax seed close at hand and try to get 2 tblsp/day. Even though it is a phytoestrogen (I don't think they are all created equal), I could not find any negative data searching PubMed that it stimulated tumours at all and actually everything I found indicated suppression. I also found data that stated it enhanced Tamoxifen. It is the lignans in it that are supposed to be beneficial for Breast Cancer. Of course I would never tell anyone to take it as some docs are opposed to any phytoestrogen.

Dietary flaxseed enhances the inhibitory effect of tamoxifen on the growth of estrogen-dependent human breast cancer (mcf-7) in nude mice.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15570004?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=2&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

There are many other articles saying basically the same thing. Although this one is about mice there was one small study concerning live women eating flaxseed muffins.

Some people think there is a link between lack of iodine and breast cancer so when I think about it I take iodine a couple of times a week as I've lost my taste for seaweed and kelp.

I also eat Pacific Sockeye Salmon about 3x week as it's an excellent protein with lots of anti-inflammatory properties.

Thanks for the post, it's interesting to see what others use as a weapon against this disease.

jan

interested
    where did you get all the info. i cant afford alot of this stuff. is there a site. i have stage3 her+and 6 or 8 pos nodes were found out of 15. i need alot of prayer thanks agin for the info. plz let me know
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    kevindee said:

interested
    where did you get all the info. i cant afford alot of this stuff. is there a site. i have stage3 her+and 6 or 8 pos nodes were found out of 15. i need alot of prayer thanks agin for the info. plz let me know

I get my information from
    I get my information from alot of places, a magazine article, a reference in a book that I look at but don't buy at the health food store, on line, talking to friends, etc. I first got interested trying to use food as medicine (in addition to traditional, not instead of) after reading the book Crazy, Sexy Cancer Tips. Thats a great book, and if you google crazysexycancer I think you will get the author's site. However, nothing I have found is a CURE...just possibily good for you, little boosts that make me feel more in control. Be careful - there is TOO MUCH information out there and not all right for you and not all even legitimate. Best wishes, love, Joyce