Hair or rather lack of, need some advice

Options
crazylady
crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
I hope that you are all doing well!

I posted somewhere earlier about my hair rapidly falling out. Next week I have an interview for a fieldwork placement for school. The placement would be at a school, grades Kindergarten-12. I would be doing group counseling with the children.

My question is: Do I wear a wig to the interview and assuming I get the placement whenever I am at the school or do I go the natural route?

My dilema is that I really hate wearing wigs. I find them very hot and uncomfortable, not to mention that they don't ever seem to stay on my head correctly so I find myself continuously pushing and pulling. I probably look very silly. I have concerns that I would be really busy focusing on the wig and not present in the session. The other side is that I don't want to end up explaining why I am bald to my clients, especially since they would be children.

I need all the advice I can get on this so please feel free to respond.

Thank You,
Jamie

Comments

• claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm
    Hi Jamie,

I wouldn't worry about the kids. They can adapt and understand sometimes better than adults. It's the adults to worry about. I am all for natural...but...maybe not in your case trying to get a job. I hate that and always will but sometimes you gotta do that to get what you want. No one is suppose to discriminate, yeah..right.

I'd wear the wig, for the interview and if you get the job, then gradually let it be known that you don't have hair and wear scarves or hats.

Very hard decision, I know.

Those are my feelings and I'm sure there will be others just the opposite. Just go with your gut and learn from that.

Let us know how it turns out.

Claudia
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    To wig or not to wig
    Jamie, I have to agree with Claudia. I would wear the wig to the interview, just because you don't want them to make the assumption you are a goner and not even offer the job to you. They can't discriminate on your medical condition, so don't give them the opportunity without having to ask a single illegal question! Then, once you get the job, it's up to you as to wear or not to wear. And Claudia is also right about the kids accepting you either way, they'll be direct with the questions and just move on; adults tend to act like they don't notice but it freaks them out! Good luck and ace that interview!
    Mary
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    hair/interview
    How about a fall with a hat? It's fall, so you could get away with that, look like you have hair and not be distracted by a wig. Once you have the job, kids seem to love hats. What's up with that?

Kimby
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Kids won't care
    One of my grandsons is a toddler and in a toddler Montessori class. One of his teachers is in treatment for breast cancer and has lost her hair. The kids don't seem to notice at all. And they did a home visit just before school started, and even my older grandson (almost 6) never said a word about why didn't she have hair, and he usually comments on all kinds of things. So once you get the job, I wouldn't worry about the reaction of the chidren at all.

Gail
  • mk1117
    mk1117 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    I agree with everyone
    Jamie -

I agree on the other comments here. I think you should wear a wig to the interview. There's no need to cause speculation about your health. And, as we all know, employers are not supposed to discriminate, but we know what actually goes on.

As for thinking you look silly with the wig on - I bet you don't look silly at all. It probably just seems like it's more noticeable to you, but others may not even notice.

Then - if you're offered the job, you can opt to go without the wigs. I agree, kids are so unassuming, they'll handle it way better than most adults.

Good luck!

Kathy