oxaliplatin in arm - Yeouch!!

Options
taraHK
taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Started my new XELOX regime yesterday. My oncologist and I had discussed whether I needed a port installed again. He suggested that I give it a try without -- I'm only scheduled for 6 cycles, 2 hr drip each time. Big mistake!!! The oxaliplatin really hurt and my arm is still very tender/painful/uncomfortable. Yeouch! So, guess who is getting a port installed? Apparently it has to be done immediately -- before my blood counts begin to crash. So, that's today! (Glad they were able to fit me in). So much for my guiding motto of staying away from hospitals as much as I can!!

Typing with one hand,
Tara

Comments

• crazylady
    crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Ouch! sounds painful
    Hi Tara,
    I'm so sorry that your arm is in pain. I understand about trying to stay out of hospitals. I have the same motto, but somehow I always eventually end up back there. ugh!!!
    I hope the port insertion went well and your arm feels better soon!

Sending hugs your way,
    Jamie
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    YIKES!!!!
    Hi Tara,

I am so sorry your doctor wanted you to try the oxaliplatin without a port. One of my friends, who has a recurrence of colon cancer, had oxaliplatin administered without a port once, and she really had a bad reaction from it. Her chemo nurse couldn't access her port, so he just infused it in her arm. YIKES! She had the same reaction as you! Thankfully, all of the pain went away after a few days so I know yours will as well. Good luck on the port implantation today. I am thinking of you!

Healing hugs,

Kay
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    your port
    Good luck with that, it is minor compared to what you have already been through! Just know that it will be sore the first time you have it accessed, since it will be healing, but after that it's no problem! I can't imagine what they were thinking having oxi administered directly to a vein! Perhaps they need to endure that just once... perhaps they would think twice before recommending it in the future. Anyhow, prayers for quick healing and minimal side effects on your chemo. Mary
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Yeow!
    On what planet do they directly infuse oxaliplatin directly into the vein? I'm so sorry. That's a wicked drug; yes, it helps us, but it's still wicked. I'm so glad you got slotted for the port insertion. Keep up updated and drink lots of water!

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • taraHK
    Options
    kmygil said:

Yeow!
    On what planet do they directly infuse oxaliplatin directly into the vein? I'm so sorry. That's a wicked drug; yes, it helps us, but it's still wicked. I'm so glad you got slotted for the port insertion. Keep up updated and drink lots of water!

Hugs,
    Kirsten

thanks - port in now
    Thanks all for these comments. The oxi-arm is getting better, but slowly. Yeouch. The port was installed yesterday -- no problems. I'm developing quite an interesting little scar pattern up around my neckline (this is my 3rd port). As I said to my sister on the phone -- I'm still planning on wearing strapless dresses, etc. -- Anyone who gets close enough to see those scars is probably TOO CLOSE - and should be looking a my beautiful eyes instead....

Tara
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Oxaliplatin in Arm
    Hi Tara -

I know what you mean about oxaliplatin in the arm - but, don't mean to sound wierd, but I have a different perspective. I had 6 cycles of oxy in the arm. Cycle 1 had no arm side effects. After cycle 1, my arm was stiff, tingly, numb etc. after each round. It gradually improved - much better after 4-5 days, completely better after 2+ weeks (just in time for the next one - I was on Xelox every 3 weeks). But, I never had any persistent peripheral neuropathy. Tingling fingers for about 2 days, toes for less. When I completed my 6th (last) round of Xelox + Avastin, my onc told me that we'd do a port if I had to go back on it - but so far that hasn't been necessary. The nurses felt bad for me with my stiff arm, but I mostly found it annoying and it rapidly went from painful to just something to be careful about.

I have often wondered if the short term acute neuropathy in the arm from oxaliplatin arm infusions was a good tradeoff compared to longer term neuropathy. I'll never know, but I haven't experienced any long term neuropathy and that's good.

Meanwhile, Tara, good luck with your treatments and hopefully the port will make it easier.

Betsy
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    no port for intravenous chemo - oxaliplatin or not
    Having the port put in was wierd - didn't hurt, was just wierd. Having oxaiplatin and/or 5 fu without it. I don't think so, what was your oncologist thinking. Mine was put in and is now removed - not a big deal either way. But without it - I don't think so!! They can use it for blood etc.

Pam
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    hugs!!
    Tara,

I am sure by now that you have recovered from your port insertion. I am sending hugs your way that you tolerate the chemo and soon dance with NED.

Maureen
  • impactzone
    impactzone Member Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Moesimo said:

hugs!!
    Tara,

I am sure by now that you have recovered from your port insertion. I am sending hugs your way that you tolerate the chemo and soon dance with NED.

Maureen

Hey good luck. I had the oxy
    Hey good luck. I had the oxy and it hurt my arm too. I couldn't bend it and kept it covered in a sleave and had a sling. That seemed to help but ove rtime the ache went away for me. Hope you are doing OK. I am still at Stanford and get a scan soon.
    Chip
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    port
    Hi Tara,

I'm glad your arm is starting to feel better. My onc wanted me to keep mine in for two years after chemo. Hope the rest of the chemo goes well with no further problems.

• taraHK
    Options
    vinny3 said:

port
    Hi Tara,

I'm glad your arm is starting to feel better. My onc wanted me to keep mine in for two years after chemo. Hope the rest of the chemo goes well with no further problems.

port in fine - tough choice
    Thanks, Vinny. Yes, my arm is recovering -- and the port installation went fine -- thanks. I can certainly understand your onc's recommendation to keep the port in for 2 yrs. I remember seeing a debate on this board about that issue a little while ago. I was one of those who wanted my port OUT as soon as possible after the chemo ended. I guess I didn't want the reminder. And, it was nice to have that time period with no reminder (other than the scars!). But obviously now I am kinda wishing I'd left it in. It's "just" a local procedure -- but it is surgery -- and another 'intervention'.....Best wishes to you and thanks for the warm words.
    Tara