new at this ! ! !

Options
joelee
joelee Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,

I was diagnosed in March of this year with stage 3 rectal cancer.I had 7 weeks of Chemo & Rad together.My body healed LOL and I went for surgery on July 14....and now I am on my second treatment of Chemo I take the infusion pump home for 46 hrs. After a three hour infusion session at the office.This happens everyother week for 12 weeks. Any budy got some good helpful tips? Thanks,

Comments

• Denise1966
    Denise1966 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi
    Hi Joelee,

I was diagnosed in March stage 3 rectal just like you. I had 5 wks of rad & chemo, then surgery in June. I just finished my first week of folfox and I have 11 more to go. If you read the thread "starting chemo" you'll find alot of good advise that everyone gave me. How do you feel after your treatments? I hope they all go well for you.

Denise
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Infusion sessions - are you on folfox
    Folfox is now the standard treatment for colon/rectal cancer - it is 46 hours of 5FU via a pump and oxaliplatin delivered intravenously once every two weeks IV (or through a port) followed by a bolus of 5FU, the pump is then attached and removed 46 hours later.

Generally radiation with 5 days of 5FU for 28 days and surgery are included. The order of treatment varies case by case. You have obviously completed these

There are side effects - they vary from person to person. Let us know what you are experiencing. In general, take your meds - the anti nausea meds that are given to you, eat what you can, be active when you can, and rest when you need to.

What are you experiencing?

Pam
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    chemo
    Hi, I had the same treatments except separated more due to the attempt to avoid a colostomy (unsuccessfully). I found taking little naps helped but also getting a little exercise (walks) helped as well. The main bothersome side effects were from the oxiplatin. Avoiding cold liquids/food close to the infusions helped and biting down before eating helped to lessen the "first bite syndrome". I found wearing golf gloves worked well for taking things out of the refrigerator. Living in Minnesota there were times I had to wear a scarf over my face when going outside. I took Vit B6 to try to help the neuropathy but did stop the treatment after 9 cycles due to the neuropathy- however, everyone is different. My last chemo was two years ago and the neuropathy is very slightly there but barely noticeable.

I hope you continue to do well and continue to ask questions. ****
  • Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I didn't have radiation but
    I didn't have radiation but I had surgery and FOLFOX chemo routine, 12 rounds everyother week with the 46 hour pump. I have 3 more rounds to do till chemo is over. It seems like an eternity at the beginning and everything is so new that it's hard to figure out what is "normal" but talk about what you are feeling and experiencing and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and this board is great with suggestions and experience. Rest, hydrate listen to your body. Good luck to you.
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    new at this ! ! !
    Hi Joelee,

Glad you found us. Like the others said, all people are different with reactions. Oxiplatin causes some fun ones though. You will have trouble drinking cold things. I had to drink warm teas all the time and did herbal teas. Lemon is my favorite. Even when drinking water which you should try to do a lot, I added crystal light because nothing tasted good after a while and I always had dry mouth. Eat whatever sounds good. I know I had an adversion to smells with chemo, even of food smells at times. Touching cold things can hurt like in the freezer. I could even feel counters as cold. Crying hurt because of the Oxiplatin (and I did that quite a bit at times) Your emotions are a mess too from dx and the chemo so take it easy and don't beat yourself up about it. Fatigue is a biggie with chemo. It is not just 'being tired'. It is like a truck hit you and then backed over you again. That is normal and when your body says sleep, you should. I worked during chemo and had a family to take care of also. In a way it helped because it was something to take my mind off everything else. Nausea and of course diareha. Take the meds that they give you and tuck away immodium every where. I had it at work, in my pocketbook and in my car. LOL. If you go out, know where your bathrooms are. HUGS and you can get through this. Tell us how you do and any symptoms you might have. We are all here to help!

Lisa F