Options
2»

Comments

• sandra3356
    sandra3356 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2021 #22
    Options
    teeth after radiation

I had 6 weeks of daily radiation on the left side of my mouth ( I had tongue cancer) - first I experienced darkening on the tops - which the dentist filed and added a little white bonding - to hide and discoloration from the radiation. 

it is 6 years later and now the left side teeth are loose and soon I will need a bridge. I count myself so lucky to be alive and have kept my teeth for 6+ years post cancer - 

• tmglen123
    tmglen123 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2021 #23
    Options

teeth after radiation

I had 6 weeks of daily radiation on the left side of my mouth ( I had tongue cancer) - first I experienced darkening on the tops - which the dentist filed and added a little white bonding - to hide and discoloration from the radiation. 

it is 6 years later and now the left side teeth are loose and soon I will need a bridge. I count myself so lucky to be alive and have kept my teeth for 6+ years post cancer - 

Hi Sandra - I am 14 years

Hi Sandra - I am 14 years cancer-free, and still have all my teeth.  Not to say they are perfect, but I work very hard to maintain my dental health.  I see the dentist and hygenist every three months, even if I have to pay out of pocket.  I wear my mouth guard every night with flouride.  I floss multiple times per day, and use dental pics (with the nubby tips), and alcohol-free mouthwash.  I also don't eat much sugar, and don't drink any more.  Nice side effect - I lost 30 pounds :):)

Anyway, my gums are still no good, and I am not a candidate for implants if I lose any of my teeth, so I am REALLY motivated to keep them all.

Best of luck to you!

Tracy

• graywolf
    graywolf Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2021 #24
    Options
    teeths

they remove all my teeth before treatment and im on my fourth week of six of radiation and  was told it be six months to a year before i can get dentures need time for the jaw to heal which im not to happy about.I beleave the VA remove them for not running into any problems down the road.i have a feeding tube which i use often still eating solid food that i can handle to get down.But all is well just take one day at a time.

• wallen4857
    wallen4857 Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I am a 33 years 3X Cancer Survivor, who had 1800 rads of radiation for ten days to my head due to CNSL. I have suffered from teeth breakage and tooth loss. I have had several root canals done and crowns to keep my teeth. I was 25 when I was treated and I am now 58. Also, in 2010 I was diagnosed with Meningioma on my left frontal lobe and in 2012 I had it removed. This tumor was related to my radiation therapy to my head. I also have suffered with skin issues (sluffing) inside my cheeks after my radiation. Another side effect I have found in my 33 years is nerve damage, I suffer from a form of myalgia I have burning, stabbing, numbing that migrates throughout my body on a random basis. Besides all that those issues I am loving life.

God is Great!

Wynn Allen

• abradley
    abradley Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

I have the fluoride trays. Just a little over a month post-radiation. My dental oncologist suggested traditional dental work (cavities / root canals / cleaning) would be OK, but oral surgery would be higher risk. That’s why he’s adamant about being faithful to the trays.

• Monkm
    Monkm Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Hello

I am new here ..

My husband is 2.5 years out

HPV 16 cancer to tonsil and lymph node- right n=side.

They pulled two teeth prior and told us to go back after treatment.. Then the pandamic hit and my husband was afraid to go.. He finally went and we are now seeing decay- teeth crumbling and some pain.

We went to an oral surgeon and they want the clinicals of radiation

This surgeon is not covered by our insurance nor we do not have dental.

Anyone on here from NJ ?

I have a call into our oncologist radiologist- hoping she may have a referral.

So they just cant pull a tooth?

i am confused why- because of infection?

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Maybe dry socket?

I know I was in the chair about to get a tooth pulled about 8 months out when the Dentist called my Rad Dr. and cancelled it. Had a root canal and crown to fix. No problems since, but Google should have the reasons.