Question for Stage III Survivors

Options
lizbiz
lizbiz Member Posts: 120
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello,

I posted a few weeks back regarding venous invasion. I didn't get too many replies, so I thought I'd try again.

I was just wondering if there are any of you out there who were diagnosed as stage III with venous invasion and are currently NED.

This issue has become a prickly pear for me as I'm trying to stay positive regarding my prognosis, but the fact that I've been staged as a V2 is vexing me. It doesn't bode well as far as recurrence is concerned.

I'd really appreciate any input anyone could give me on this!

Keep fighting, everyone, and never ever ever give up!!

Liz

Comments

• pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    What exactly is venous invasion
    I tried looking it up on the internet and it wasn't clear to me what it is. One study seemed to infer that most people Stage III and above had some degree of venous invasion. I couldn't find information on stage V2. From what I read, venous invasion was not nearly as important as colon vs. rectal - rectal having a higher recurrance rate. What has his your oncologist told you. I am currently, Stage IIIA, 15 mos. ned after surgery, chemo and radiation.,

Pam
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    stage 3 survivor
    I'm also not too clear about what venous invasion is -- can you tell us a little more?

I was diagnosed Stage III rectal. I have had a couple of recurrences but I do want to let you know that I am NED, Alive and Well almost 6 years after diagnosis -- feeling great, very healthy, enjoying my kids, family, work, etc -- Keep The Faith!
    Tara
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    What is v2?
    I also don't know what v2 is, but I am a stage 3 rectal cancer survivor. I had 2 pos. nodes. My diagnosis was 3/17/03. Life will never be the same. I initially had 2 rough years but am doing well now and remain NED since my initial surgery.

Maureen
  • lizbiz
    Options
    Moesimo said:

What is v2?
    I also don't know what v2 is, but I am a stage 3 rectal cancer survivor. I had 2 pos. nodes. My diagnosis was 3/17/03. Life will never be the same. I initially had 2 rough years but am doing well now and remain NED since my initial surgery.

Maureen

From what I've been able to
    From what I've been able to gather, venous invasion means that cancer has entered your blood via the vein system. My oncologist says that, with regard to staging, it's lumped together with lymphatic invasion: cancer is able to travel via the lymphatic system, but it's also able to travel via the venous system. V1 means that microscopic cells are detected, V2 means that cancerous emboli are seen grossly (i.e. with the naked eye). According to my oncologist, having a V assigned to your staging indicates a worse prognosis.

My worry is that even though I only had one of 9 lymph nodes affected (and the cancer hadn't actually penetrated the lymph capsule yet), I did have a few malignant emboli that the pathologist was able to see just by looking at the messentary.

It's probably the histologist in me that is pursuing this like I am. Sometimes I feel like I'm too close to this as I work directly with the pathologist that received my colon and staged my tumor.

Anyway, it's really good to hear from those of you who are NED. Thanks for responding!

Fight like hell and never ever ever give up!

Liz
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Question for Stage III Survivors
    Hi Liz,

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. I guess most of us didn't have that tacked onto our dx. I know that I was told that the chemo would get rid of any cancer cells that might be in my blood so maybe that is what you would like to hear? I'm also stage 3 with one node involved. My tumor was into the wall of the colon but not through. On my birthday Dec. 20th I will be 3 yrs out from dx. I'm two years out from chemo and NED. I'm doing good except for a little neuropathy in my feet and legs but my view is I could be worse and not around. I'm enjoying life again and planning for the future which is hard when first dx. The only future is trying to get through chemo and I remember those days well. I did tell my kids though when dx that I plan to be around to see their kids kids and I will try to be around as long as possible. HUGS and there are a lot of us NED stage 3 out there!!!

Lisa F.
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    lizbiz said:

From what I've been able to
    From what I've been able to gather, venous invasion means that cancer has entered your blood via the vein system. My oncologist says that, with regard to staging, it's lumped together with lymphatic invasion: cancer is able to travel via the lymphatic system, but it's also able to travel via the venous system. V1 means that microscopic cells are detected, V2 means that cancerous emboli are seen grossly (i.e. with the naked eye). According to my oncologist, having a V assigned to your staging indicates a worse prognosis.

My worry is that even though I only had one of 9 lymph nodes affected (and the cancer hadn't actually penetrated the lymph capsule yet), I did have a few malignant emboli that the pathologist was able to see just by looking at the messentary.

It's probably the histologist in me that is pursuing this like I am. Sometimes I feel like I'm too close to this as I work directly with the pathologist that received my colon and staged my tumor.

Anyway, it's really good to hear from those of you who are NED. Thanks for responding!

Fight like hell and never ever ever give up!

Liz

Thanks for the information
    I will ask my oncologist about the V - I don't think it was in my staging as my prognosis was pretty good. IIIA with 2 lymph nodes - it didn't go through the wall. Only one polyp. However, I understand the anxiety and am glad that histology is not my specialty. My understanding is that if it is in the lymphatic system, it can be in the blood - part of the reason for the radiation and all the chemo drugs.

I was told that only one lymph node was a good sign - 2 was not too bad. At Mass General, where I am being treated, they want to see at least 12 lymph nodes - I had 21 - removed and tested.

Where are you being treated and what is your treatment.

Pam
  • vinny3
    vinny3 Member Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    prognosis
    Hi Liz,

There are survivors here who were Stage 4 and have remained NED. Remember that the statistics one reads are always behind the current results and everyone is different. You are doing the chemo. Take care of yourself with diet,mild exercise, adequate sleep, and minimize stress (yes, easier said than done). You can and will beat the beast.

• polarprincess
    polarprincess Member Posts: 202
    Options
    venous invasion
    hi, when i was at mayo clinic i read several books there on colon cancer and one of them had a list of prognostic factors what matters most and least and i still have that list, it doesn't mention anywhere on there about venous invasion being a negative prognostic factor.
  • lizbiz
    Options

venous invasion
    hi, when i was at mayo clinic i read several books there on colon cancer and one of them had a list of prognostic factors what matters most and least and i still have that list, it doesn't mention anywhere on there about venous invasion being a negative prognostic factor.

Thanks for your replies,
    Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Pam,

In answer to your question, I'm being treated at New Hampshire Oncology-Hematology. They are affiliated with Dana-Farber and I am currently undergoing genetic testing there.

I also read that 12 lymph nodes are the standard. However, according to my pathology report and my surgeon, there was a lot of necrosis and abscess present within my mesentery. So, I don't think there was much to work with. My surgeon said he just kept "scooping out" against my pelvic wall and got out as much as was there (nice picture, lol!).

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's all gone and the chemo will kill everything else.

Thanks again for the responses!

Elizabeth
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz, I am also stage 111,
    Hi Liz, I am also stage 111, one node. My oncs have never mentioned venous invasion or staging, but I guess the explanation you had makes sense, and I am also glad I am not a histologist! Being a nurse with a dad who had colon cancer was bad enough! I almost didn't want to know the answers to some of the questions I came up with; a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!
    I understand completely your anxiety; I will be 5 years post op this December. My surgeon says she will take credit for a "surgical cure", but my onc counts from the completion of chemo, so I don't want to jinx it, and use my onc's count! Whatever the count, I remain NED.
    Stay positive; live each day; take good care of yourself and don't forget to breathe. Best to you and hubby. Judy