Any acai juice or other supplements during chemo?

Options
lisa42
lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,

I'm wondering what some of you do, or have been told by your oncologists, regarding taking supplements during chemotherapy. I've been given Mona Vie (acai berry juice) to take as a supplement. First time during chemotherapy a year ago, I heeded my onc's advice to avoid antioxidants during chemo. His idea was that some studies showed a possible negative link between taking antioxidants during chemotherapy. My onc said it was definitely good to load up on the antioxidants before and after chemo, but not during. This time around, I've been reading up on more studies myself. I've read some similar info, but even more recent studies seem to refute that there's any problem w/ taking antioxidants during chemo.
I've just started on acai berry juice and also on a whole food green powder, which contains wheat grass, kale, brocolli, among many other greens (mixed with liquid- usually a sweet juice to help the taste. My thought is they can't hurt & will likely help- any thoughts??
Lisa

Comments

• nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    Vitamins, Supplements ???
    My Oncology Team never provide advice or information on taking vitamins or supplements before, during or after chemo. I have always been one to take vitamins more than supplements. I took Vitamin E w/B6 & B12, One-A-Day Women's Multivitamin, & Vitamin C while going through my journey with chemo and had no ill effects. Today I still take the Vitamin E and Multivitamin along with the change I made in my diet. A lot more fruits, especially blueberries, and veggies.

Supplements I try not to take due to the fact of so many ingredients that aren't tested to determine harm or safeness, but on the other hand, there are supposely some good supplements out there.

I look at it this way, God created the earth, man and women and gave us everything "we" needed to survive and apparently the Human Race hasn't found it all yet :).
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Talk to YOUR Oncologist
    Hi Lisa,

I'm sure you will get lots of feedback on this one...

When I was in chemo my onc was fine with a multi-vitamin, calcium, and b-complex to help with neuropathy, but told me NO other supplements of any kind, especially herbal supplements. She said it was unclear if in combination with chemotherapy drugs that adverse side effects wouldn't occur with certain supplements, and further said that certain supplements can interfere with a chemo's efficacy. I don't know if that information is correct or not, but since I trusted my onc in treating ME and MY specific case, I went with her recommendation.

Why seek treatment from a doctor, have them well compensated for that treatment and then not follow their advice? If you are not happy, comfortable or unsure of the advice you receive from your current onc, you can and should get a second opinion.

The perfect situation if you would like to do an integrated therapy approach, which thankfully is gaining some steam, would be to find an oncologist who works WITH a ND for a fully planned out combined therapy protocol. I think if/when I have to do chemo again, I would go that route...use a good onc I trust and have him work with a ND for a combined approach (sort of a one-two punch).

At this point, what I think is...TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR...he/she knows you and your case, knows about all the assorted meds you're taking, and has a plan for you to reach better health. There is an old saying in my business (construction) - plan your work and work your plan.

Good luck!
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    nudgie said:

Vitamins, Supplements ???
    My Oncology Team never provide advice or information on taking vitamins or supplements before, during or after chemo. I have always been one to take vitamins more than supplements. I took Vitamin E w/B6 & B12, One-A-Day Women's Multivitamin, & Vitamin C while going through my journey with chemo and had no ill effects. Today I still take the Vitamin E and Multivitamin along with the change I made in my diet. A lot more fruits, especially blueberries, and veggies.

Supplements I try not to take due to the fact of so many ingredients that aren't tested to determine harm or safeness, but on the other hand, there are supposely some good supplements out there.

I look at it this way, God created the earth, man and women and gave us everything "we" needed to survive and apparently the Human Race hasn't found it all yet :).

Hi Nudgie
    I like your last line :) good stuff...
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Supplements during chemo
    Hi Lisa,

I would also talk to your onc. I actually didn't do many supplements during chemo. I juiced (2bhealed- Emily is good to talk to about that) and I ate foods that had the good vitamins in them. I found that eating fruit and the V8fusion made me 'feel' better during chemo. I also stayed away from 'white' foods. A good book to read is 'Beating Cancer with Nutrition' by Patrick Quinlan. When I told my onc what I was doing with eating more antioxidents he didn't really say anything. The thing is that most are not nutritionists and therefore don't have a lot of knowledge about this. I also did some alternative therapy during treatment to get me through. I went to Reiki treatments and accupuncture for the chemo nausea and neuropathy. Both were great and the Reiki was very cleansing both emotionally and I thought physically. Good luck and tell us how it goes!

Lisa F

PS. Sunshine is a GREAT pickme up also during chemo. Vitamin D!!!