Medical bills

Options
Scared
Scared Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I am a 2 year survivor of colon cancer. I have many outstanding medical bills due to having cancer and I know I cannot be the only one. I worry about my bills all the time and I just wonder how other cancer survivors deal with this problem.

Comments

• Madre
    Madre Member Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm on a payment plan with
    I'm on a payment plan with the oncologist. They send me a bill everymonth and I just pay what I can. The amercican cancer society gave me a financial form to fill out because they sometimes have funds available to help with copays. I haven't followed through so I don't have any feedback but call them and see if they can help. They also gave me a list of other organizations that might be able to help. Good luck to you.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Scared
    Scared Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Medical bills
    Thanks for the input. I maxed out my insurance and I still have alot of medical debt. However I need to keep up with aftercare (colonoscopy etc) and I am looking into disease specific insurance. Anybody have experience with that?
  • jonsachtjen
    jonsachtjen Member Posts: 3
    Options
    medical bills
    Definitely set up a payment plan. The important thing is to contact the offices and make an effort to try and pay. The billing people generally aren't monsters and are happy to help you pay what you can. If you avoid them that's when you run into problems. Collections and such can make your life a lot more miserable when you should be focusing on your well-being.
    Good luck- it's not easy and requires a lot of attention, but it can be done, and after all, as long as you try what are they going to do? Put you in hospital jail?

:)