is this possible?

Options
jannyfran
jannyfran Member Posts: 33
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I've only had two rounds of radiation so far, and oh my God, does my body hurt. I feel as though somebody beat me up and feel burning under my arm. Do you think this can be from the radiation already? If so, what's the next 6 weeks going to be like?

Thank You All For Always Being Here.................this site is the best!!!!!!!

Hugs, Blessings and Prayers

Janny

Comments

• live1
    live1 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Pain and Burning
    I do not remember much pain. I would ask my oncologist about that. However, for the burning I used Aquaphor healing ointment. It is an over the counter jell that greatly help with the burning and iching.

DreAnna
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    radiation
    I am about 1/2 way through my radiation. The first couple of weeks weren't too bad. I experienced fatigue but I had also returned to work full time that same week. By the beginning of the 3rd week the redness was clearly visible. Everyother day I have what is called a bollus treatment. Just a fancy way of saying there is a wet terrycloth towel placed on the breast during the treatment. The purpose is to pull the radiation closer to the surface. Rather than protect the skin, it actually does the opposite. I use the Aquaphor and have permission to use a hydrocortizone cream for the itching. I got a tip today from one of the radiation tecs to put the cream in the freezer to add to the soothing. I struggle with the mental daily task of the daily treatment. Not sure if fatigue brings on the blues or the blues brought on the fatigue. I look forward to being able to shave that pit in another 3 weeks!! Hang in there.
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Talk to your radiation
    Talk to your radiation oncologist. She/he can tell you if what you're experiencing is unique to you - it may be. Plus, they can give you things to help ease the pain and the burning and itching. They even gave me an ointment that had lidocaine in it. Great stuff! We are all different and our reaction to treatment is so different - each of us from the other. I had pains - pinging pains I called them. It was the nerves reacting to the radiation during and after treatment when the healing process began. Your doctor can be of great help. Hang in there. Marilynn
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    dbs1673 said:

radiation
    I am about 1/2 way through my radiation. The first couple of weeks weren't too bad. I experienced fatigue but I had also returned to work full time that same week. By the beginning of the 3rd week the redness was clearly visible. Everyother day I have what is called a bollus treatment. Just a fancy way of saying there is a wet terrycloth towel placed on the breast during the treatment. The purpose is to pull the radiation closer to the surface. Rather than protect the skin, it actually does the opposite. I use the Aquaphor and have permission to use a hydrocortizone cream for the itching. I got a tip today from one of the radiation tecs to put the cream in the freezer to add to the soothing. I struggle with the mental daily task of the daily treatment. Not sure if fatigue brings on the blues or the blues brought on the fatigue. I look forward to being able to shave that pit in another 3 weeks!! Hang in there.

Hydrocortisone
    For the record, the OTC hydrocortisone cream is generally NOT strong enough to really stop the radiation itch as effectively as one prescribed...that was my experience, at any rate. I asked the radiation oncologist for a prescription ( he had recommemded that) and it sooo helped! I also never had much hair regrowth under the affected arm...and still ( 5 yrs later) am numb. I have been too freaked out to shave! Now and again I lather up REALLY well, and look it the mirror and attempt to, but without feeling, it is so iffy! Again, thankfully there are but a few "stragglers"...

Ain't this just more fun than a barrel of monkeys??? Yippeeee!!! :-)

Hugs,
    Claudia