First chemo today...

Options
CR1954
CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello wonderful people!

I had my first chemo session this morning. Everyone was just so wonderful and did everything in their power to make things as comfortable as possible. I have been so happy with the doctors that I have chosen! And their staff!

Anyway, the actual infusion itself was not nearly as bad as I had imagined. So that was a needless worry..I have to stop doing that!

Then got Neulasta injection. One question I have is, does Neulasta cause joint pain/ache in everyone? Or is it an individual thing? I just want to be prepared..

My second question is, I had my port placed five days ago. It is healing nicely & I will see the surgeon for post-op check tomorrow. But since I have had it, my shoulder and arm ache, sometimes horribly. Sometimes, I don't ache at all. But other times, it aches so much that Lortab doesn't even seem to help. Did anyone else have this problem?? Or am I an anomoly...LOL!

Thanks in advance for any help!

CR

Comments

• zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Congrats CR
    You came through with flying colors!
    We all knew you would.
    And now you are one day nearer to being DONE!
    YAAAAAAAAY!!!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    NEULASTA
    Hello CR,

First off, great to hear you have finished your first chemo that is great news! You asked about the Nuelasta, well for me it ached. Doc said that is how you know it is doing its job. I did not have a port so i cant comment on that one.

I want to share a little tip with you, sometimes chemo leaves a metal taste in your mouth so your taste buds have to work harder. If you notice the metal taste switch to plastic utensils it really does help!

Congrats on getting one behind you!

RE
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    First chemo
    Hi CR: Glad you made it through your 1st session with flying colors. I didn't have neulasta shots, so I can't give you any advice on that but I have heard that it does cause joint pain in some people. So, if you happen to develop it. don't be alarmed.

About the port, I had terrible ache in my shoulder area and upper arm and I would say it lasted about 2 months. I think it's because they touch nerve endings in that area and it just takes time for the nerves to settle down. I was fine afterwards.

Wishing you luck, hugs, Lili
  • suzanne56
    suzanne56 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Neulasta and port
    I had the neulasta shots and they made my bones hurt the first two times and then it didn't bother me.
    As for the port, I still have mine and it did hurt for a couple months and sit still twinges and pulls every now and then.
    Congrats on your first chemo, and I hope it goes well.
    Suzanne
  • tan39
    tan39 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    neulasta aches
    Hi CR,

SO happy for you, first chemo is pretty scary as you really don't know what to expect. I had Neulasta twice and both times my bones ached for afew days,but it did ease my concerns about getting any infections etc.., didn't have a port so cannot help you there.
    stay positive, you sound like your keeping upbeat about it all, won't be long before you'll be looking back on all of this and feeling so proud that you did it , big hug, tan x
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!
    Thank you all for your support and for your great information!

You have once again, come through for me, as you do for anyone who is seeking comfort, info. and friendship!

You are all awesome-tastic and very much appreciated by this old gal!

CR
  • kew
    kew Member Posts: 24
    Options
    One Down!
    When the drs. first started using words like "cancer," "chemotherapy," "mastectomy" it was such a scary thing. I just finished my treatment plan last week (surgery, 8 chemo, 33 radiation) and have to admit that it was NOT as bad as I had thought it would be.

I was also very scared of the actual chemo session. The nurses must have to be nice to be in that profession. They were truly wonderful!!

I had a little aching after the first neulasta, but none noticeable after that. (I had 8 chemo sessions.) So I don't think it's a given that you feel achy. If you do, take tylenol (assuming your doc says it's OK for you).

I had a port in too and it was uncomfortable for 3 weeks or so. Then my body adjusted. No one had warned me that was uncomfortable, so it was sort of a shock to me. Then when they take it out it's sore again for awhile.

Take all the anti-nausea meds that they gave you. I never once threw up and never once felt like I wanted to. My stomach did feel a little strange, but not nearly what I had feared. Take a nap if you're tired. Force yourself to get out and walk, even if it's just a block. Keeping active works wonders.

Oh, and I found it very gross to think of my hair coming out in my hands (typically 2 weeks post first chemo). So I shaved it on day 10 after my chemo. It was so hard to do (I had my hairdresser come to my house.) but after it was over I was soooooo glad I did it. It was sort of like one thing I could take control of. Now, 2-1/2 months since my last chemo I am going scarf-less. It's still really, really short, but there is enough to mostly cover my scalp and I wanted to be free of the scarf.

Psalm 68:19b says: For each day He carries us in His arms. I clung to that imagery.

I wish you well. You can do this!!!
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    kew said:

One Down!
    When the drs. first started using words like "cancer," "chemotherapy," "mastectomy" it was such a scary thing. I just finished my treatment plan last week (surgery, 8 chemo, 33 radiation) and have to admit that it was NOT as bad as I had thought it would be.

I was also very scared of the actual chemo session. The nurses must have to be nice to be in that profession. They were truly wonderful!!

I had a little aching after the first neulasta, but none noticeable after that. (I had 8 chemo sessions.) So I don't think it's a given that you feel achy. If you do, take tylenol (assuming your doc says it's OK for you).

I had a port in too and it was uncomfortable for 3 weeks or so. Then my body adjusted. No one had warned me that was uncomfortable, so it was sort of a shock to me. Then when they take it out it's sore again for awhile.

Take all the anti-nausea meds that they gave you. I never once threw up and never once felt like I wanted to. My stomach did feel a little strange, but not nearly what I had feared. Take a nap if you're tired. Force yourself to get out and walk, even if it's just a block. Keeping active works wonders.

Oh, and I found it very gross to think of my hair coming out in my hands (typically 2 weeks post first chemo). So I shaved it on day 10 after my chemo. It was so hard to do (I had my hairdresser come to my house.) but after it was over I was soooooo glad I did it. It was sort of like one thing I could take control of. Now, 2-1/2 months since my last chemo I am going scarf-less. It's still really, really short, but there is enough to mostly cover my scalp and I wanted to be free of the scarf.

Psalm 68:19b says: For each day He carries us in His arms. I clung to that imagery.

I wish you well. You can do this!!!

I also started going
    I also started going scarfless as soon as I had "buzzcut" length hair. Now it is about two inches. The funny thing is I got lots of compliments on my hair when it was really short and don't get any more now. Also, I want to say how beautiful that verse you quoted is especially when you say you clung to it. People can preach at me for hours, but a few short lines from you, someone who has been there and found comfort goes a lot further to help my faith. Enjoy your beauty, inside and out. love, Joyce
  • macygirl
    macygirl Member Posts: 2
    Options
    joining you in chemo
    I just completed my first chemo treatment on Tuesday - 9/16. I had my port - which only bothers me know when my one year old decides to hit it on accident (another cool thing to play with). My first chemo was not so bad - alot of information on drugs. It is day 3 and I still have not had many side effects other than being a little fatigue. I am keeping up on my nausa medicine - I was told it was better to stay on top of that rather than try to play catch up. I am not normally a pill popper - but I am learning. I figure having cancer is bad enough so why not take drugs & make it a little easier. Good luck with your chemo!! We will make it through!!