EXOLDA Question

Options
kapper48
kapper48 Member Posts: 85
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Last week my DR. took me off of the IV infuions after 7 treatments. I am now taking Exolda for the remainder of my treatments, At the DR office she told me I would be taking 5 pills a day, 3 in the AM and 2 in the PM, but when I got my perscription filled it says to take 5 in the AM and 5 in the PM. I called my DRs nurse and told her about this and she said do what the bottle says. My wife and I are sure that the DR said 3 and 2, not sure what to do at this point does this sound right to anbody out there. I want to make sure I am taking the righ amount.
Pat

Comments

• usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    DON'T TAKE IT!!!
    Hi Pat,

I would strongly suggest that you do NOT take that first dose until you absolutely confirm it with your oncologist - one day or a missed dose will not hurt, but an overdose might complicate things. I have never heard of anyone being on 10 pills per day, but dosing is based on the size of the patient - see the attached website link - page 5. Please, please double check with your oncologist right away.

http://www.xeloda.com/pdf/xeloda-dosing-card.pdf

Let us know what you hear from your oncologist.

Katie
  • kapper48
    kapper48 Member Posts: 85
    Options
    usakat said:

DON'T TAKE IT!!!
    Hi Pat,

I would strongly suggest that you do NOT take that first dose until you absolutely confirm it with your oncologist - one day or a missed dose will not hurt, but an overdose might complicate things. I have never heard of anyone being on 10 pills per day, but dosing is based on the size of the patient - see the attached website link - page 5. Please, please double check with your oncologist right away.

http://www.xeloda.com/pdf/xeloda-dosing-card.pdf

Let us know what you hear from your oncologist.

Katie

Exolda
    Thanks, Katie
    I will check out the website you gave me. I will let you know what I find out
    Pat
  • Melanie781
    Melanie781 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Xeloda
    My husband is 180 pounds and takes 7 pills a day (4 am and 3 pm.) 10 pills a day seems like a lot to me. I agree; don't take the 10 pills until you confirm with the doctor. ~Melanie
  • claud1951
    claud1951 Member Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Xeloda
    Pat,

I agree that you need to check with your Doctor.

I did start out with 5 pills in the morning and 5 in the evening. they wanted to see how I did with that, first, then would lower the dose depending on the side effects. It's a possibility the Doc doesn't want to start you with a high dose.
    Some info on the side effects of Xeloda. Usually this chemo will cause foot/hand syndrome where they peel and get sore. A suggestion is to get some Eucerin Cream (from drugstore I used this) or Udder Cream or Mary Kay's Emollient night cream (and I used this). Keep using this ALL the time. If the peeling gets to bad, wear cotton gloves to bed and cotton footies with the cream.

Keep in touch. Let us know what doc says and how you are doing with the Xeloda. Maybe someone else can give you some other suggestions.

Take care of yourself.. Drink LOTS of water..and save your energy for moving forward!
    Claudia
  • peasandcarrots
    peasandcarrots Member Posts: 12
    Options
    claud1951 said:

Xeloda
    Pat,

I agree that you need to check with your Doctor.

I did start out with 5 pills in the morning and 5 in the evening. they wanted to see how I did with that, first, then would lower the dose depending on the side effects. It's a possibility the Doc doesn't want to start you with a high dose.
    Some info on the side effects of Xeloda. Usually this chemo will cause foot/hand syndrome where they peel and get sore. A suggestion is to get some Eucerin Cream (from drugstore I used this) or Udder Cream or Mary Kay's Emollient night cream (and I used this). Keep using this ALL the time. If the peeling gets to bad, wear cotton gloves to bed and cotton footies with the cream.

Keep in touch. Let us know what doc says and how you are doing with the Xeloda. Maybe someone else can give you some other suggestions.

Take care of yourself.. Drink LOTS of water..and save your energy for moving forward!
    Claudia

Xeoda
    Hi there, I was on 10 pills a day of this- for my first 3 rounds, and then went down to 8 pills a day for the last 4 treatments. SO it sounds normal to me- get it checked first though!
    Good luck and keep in touch. The hand/foot thing is very unpleasant- some handy hints in the entry above!!!!