Scare with every new pain or symptom

Options
sylva
sylva Member Posts: 80
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finished with the chemo treatments at the end of June, and went back to work at the end of July. Instead of working 5 days, I made arragements to work only 4, and take Wednesdays off to do things for me. But, as I read that happened to many others, my body is feeling good, but my mind is playing games with me. I need to be and feel happy. I need to enjoy every day to the fullest. I need to be gratefull that I'm alive... But it seems that when something hurt, or if I get a cold and have cough with phlegm, or if I lost weight... everything scares me and put me in the negative thinking that it might be the disease again.
I'm sure that with time things will get better, but my mind is going bananas lately.
It can be also the hormones, the chemo put me on menopause.
Sorry the "complaining", but this is the safe place to do it, no?
Hugs!!

Comments

• suzanne56
    suzanne56 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Scare
    I finished chemo in March of 2007. Every sneeze made me think I had cancer again. It will get better. And yes it plays with your mind more than your body. I was going through menopause when I had cancer, so I was really a mess. Don't be afraid to talk to someone or just post a comment on here. There are a lot of people who are going through the same thing. If they put you on an anti-cancer drug it makes menopause worse. I take Tamoxifen and the hot flashes are worse than any I had during menopause.
    Don't worry about complaining, that's what this site is here for, the good and bad. You are not alone!!! Write about good days, bad days or any kind of days. I found that it helps to talk to someone that's been there. I love this site. You can say anything and someone will help you understand what's going on.
    Love, Suzanne
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You're Not Alone!
    You are definitely not alone. I finished chemo in late April and radiation at the end of June. I am coughing and I have dropped some pounds and, yes, my mind is playing tricks with me. In the old days (before breast cancer), I would have thought - "Good, watching my intake of food is paying off, and my late summer allergies are really kicking up." But now, it's the beast returning to take more out of me. My emotional side and my logical side of my personality fight with each other about this. Right now, my logical side is winning - but it doesn't always. Hang in there. Remember, you are not alone! Hugs, Marilynn
  • Wellhell
    Wellhell Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Well I'm new to this site.
    Well I'm new to this site. Just joined. Had breast cancer twice now. Now I really don't trust my body. Just seeing evryone comments is helpful. I'm saying hey I'm not crazy! I can do good for a awhile and then I think I'm going to lose it. I guess we all have to hang in there and trust our journey.
  • zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Wellhell said:

Well I'm new to this site.
    Well I'm new to this site. Just joined. Had breast cancer twice now. Now I really don't trust my body. Just seeing evryone comments is helpful. I'm saying hey I'm not crazy! I can do good for a awhile and then I think I'm going to lose it. I guess we all have to hang in there and trust our journey.

WELL........HE**
    I am a 2X breast survivor too. 22 years since first diagnosis.
    Your name says it all. I come from a place where 4-letter words are a no-no, but I cracked up when I saw your post. Soooo what I have been wanting to say all these years. Thank you for saying it for me. :)
    Come join us in chat....I have a feeling you'd be very good at it.
  • sylva
    sylva Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Thank you ALL!!
    Thank you so much for all your comments. It really helps a lot: I'm not crazy, and I'm not alone having these feelings and fears!!!
    I've been reading this book from the library: AFTER BREAST CANCER - A common-sense guide to life after treatment by Hester Schnipper. And I really like it. She is a survivor herself,
    she works as an oncologist social worker, and she hits the nail on the head talking about dealing with life after BC.
    At the same time, this reading it's been too much reality for me, but we cannot hide, we have to face it and we can feel down sometimes but we know it's temporary and we are going to be up again.
    I have to try the chat room, one time I entered by mistake and it was "too fast pace" for me (at least in that moment)
    Hugs!!! (I learned in my yoga class that we need a minimum of three hugs per day)