darn drain

Options
Ginger7286
Ginger7286 Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
surgery almost a week ago and this darn drain gets clogged with clots (hate to be gross). I am tempted to cut the drain line so that the drain bulb sits next to my bra and not my waistband so it is easier to push the clots through. Would cutting the line cause any great side effect?

Comments

• zahalene
    zahalene Member Posts: 670
    Options
    STEP A-WAY FROM THE SCISSORS
    Don't do ANYTHING until you talk to your surgeon.
    These medical 'miracles' they hook us up to are very specifically designed for reasons we would never think of and may not understand even after having it explained, but it is never a good idea to alter any medical device without advice from the experts first.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    No Cutting!
    I agree with Zahalene 110%!!! Unless you performed your own surgery, and are mixing up your own chemotherapy, somehow I doubt you are qualified to re-design the drainage tube! :-) Perhaps after you put a call in to the Dr, he will say Go Ahead! But we don't know that, and we soo wouldn't step out on that limb and advise you to throw caution to the wind and cut your drainage tube!

Let us know what your Dr says!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Ginger7286
    Ginger7286 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    darn drain
    I can't be alone...didn't you gals have the same problem? I won't cut the drain line but I am so frustrated. I guess being a newbie has is't drawbacks. Thanks for the encouragement and comments.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

darn drain
    I can't be alone...didn't you gals have the same problem? I won't cut the drain line but I am so frustrated. I guess being a newbie has is't drawbacks. Thanks for the encouragement and comments.

Drainage Tubes
    I do remember being somewhat clotty now and again with the tubes in~ I think I had them in for about 2 weeks. My b/f "milked" the tubes religiously, and kept them pretty clear. Zah is a 22 year survivor, and I am almost a 6 year survivor, and the good news is...it doesn't loom so large in my memory anymore! My stock answer almost always is Call Your Dr! :-) I just about had the Cancer Center on my speed dial I called so often~ and honestly, thats what they are there for and they will give you what you need, medically speaking! Better safe than sorry....

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Drain lines...
    Hi Ginger,

I am 3 1/2 weeks post-op and I too had problems with the drain lines becoming clogged. Very annoying, as the fluid was leaking out near where they were sutured in and I had a virtual stream running down the front of me. I simply "milked" the tubes, to get the clots to move down and into the bulb at the bottom. I held onto the tube very tghtly near the top (so that it doesn't pull on the sutures) and squeezed the tube between my fingers, using a downward motion. It was a little time consuming, but eventually, things moved down and the tubes became unblocked. Sometimes, it was easier to get my fingers to slide along the tubes if I held the tube with a Wet Ones or baby wipe...the moisture from it helped my fingers slide easier. It took a little patience, but I got them pretty well cleared.

Also, the tubes are as long as they are so that gravity will help the fluid to drain. If they are very short, it is not as effective.

Good luck and best wishes... CR
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    On cutting the line
    I would ask your surgeon first. It seems to me that you might be possibly raising the odds of an infection if you shorten the line. You don't need that right now to say the least. Good luck!

C. Abbott
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    cabbott said:

On cutting the line
    I would ask your surgeon first. It seems to me that you might be possibly raising the odds of an infection if you shorten the line. You don't need that right now to say the least. Good luck!

C. Abbott

Don't cut anything!
    Cabbot is absolutely correct! The tube is going into your chest. If you cut the tube you are providing an excellent entry port for bacteria. That is another reason it's important to keep the bulb "charged" (squished down), and with the cap closed solidly. If you have a lot of drainage at you skin, put some gauze around it,and change the gauze when it gets wet because gauze that is wet from drainage, and sits around a wound for a long period,can be another place for bacteria to grow. If milking it doesn't help, call the doc because maybe it's too plugged to work, and he needs to fix it or remove it (they rarely replace it if it's been in for awhile). Sounds like you're being careful with handling it, but just remember---you, or someone helping you, can NEVER wash your hands enough---before and after handling it.
    My drains came out in about 5 days, but everyone is different. Like everything else we moan about, when in doubt, call your Dr.!!! And yes, even if it IS a holiday, it's not for you.
    Let us know what happens,
    Jan
  • suzanne56
    suzanne56 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    darn drain
    I had two drains with my lumpectomy, and the same when I had a mastectomy. they are a pain. They get clots and fat stuck in them. I had to take the bulb off and push the junk through to keep them working. I ask the doctor about it and he said thats about all you can do. It's gross but necessary. I was so glad when the doc took them out. Just hang in there, there not forever. I had mine longer than most women, I was slow to heal because of the stitches, so I had mine for a while.
  • base61ball
    base61ball Member Posts: 125
    Options
    Drain
    I had the same problem with my drain - one thing I did to absorb the excess that leaked is take a sanitary pad, leave the plastic on the back and tuck it into your bra. Mine was under the arm and I am allergic to tape (any kind) so the pad absorbed the excess. Its soft so doesn't cause any irritation and the liner that keeps the surface dry prevents that gushy feeling. The plastic backing kept it off my clothes. My surgeon said it was "genius" to use that when gauze, etc failed. By not having the wetness it helped. I feel for you - that was the most irritating thing about the surgery for me - I wasn't told about milking the drain until two weeks after - so my time with it was prolonged - six weeks. My prayers are out there for you.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options

Drain
    I had the same problem with my drain - one thing I did to absorb the excess that leaked is take a sanitary pad, leave the plastic on the back and tuck it into your bra. Mine was under the arm and I am allergic to tape (any kind) so the pad absorbed the excess. Its soft so doesn't cause any irritation and the liner that keeps the surface dry prevents that gushy feeling. The plastic backing kept it off my clothes. My surgeon said it was "genius" to use that when gauze, etc failed. By not having the wetness it helped. I feel for you - that was the most irritating thing about the surgery for me - I wasn't told about milking the drain until two weeks after - so my time with it was prolonged - six weeks. My prayers are out there for you.

Baseball - I hope you are
    Baseball - I hope you are feeling better these days! Good thinking on your solution. Keep solving all these little problems that come with treatment and soon, promise, it will be behind you. love, Joyce