First chemo started

Derbygirl
Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Saw the Oncologist on Tuesday and started first chemo on Friday. Because I'm triple neg nd possibily basal like (more aggressive) due to other markers, my options were to do nothing or chemo. He offered to Oncotype DX but he felt I was too near the 12 week rule of thumb to get treatment started and sending specimen for Oncotype DX would take at least two weeks. Even if the results came back in my favor he would probably still recommend chemo. Had Taxotere and Cytoxan prceeded with nausea and sedative meds yesterday (Friday). I chose to get started now rather than waiting and worrying. Will have 3 months chemo and six weeks of rads. Yesterday's treatment was not bad and slept when I got home because of the sedative and there are no side effects yet. When can I expect to feel bad?

Comments

• Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Please don't expect to feel
    Please don't expect to feel bad. Mostly I felt like I had the flu and wanted to lie on the couch. Don't worry if your mood seems a little dampened. I think the chemo can do that. And never confuse the chemo symptoms with C. Our poor little minds, scared by DX, sometimes think we are "suffering" from C. Each of us handles it differently. For me, it wasn't that bad. Wasn't that great either, but doable, and I went to work every day, though I cried a lot. Congratulations on treating your C aggressively. Now, treat your self tenderly! Please write any questions, no matter how silly they may seem. I did when I went through it and now I need to help others! Best wishes, love Joyce
  • Ginger7286
    Ginger7286 Member Posts: 13
    Chemo
    I am just about to start my chemo. I was diagnosed August 05 with stage 1 breast cancer, low grade. After surgery I found out it is stage 2 in at least my sentinel node, the others have not come back yet. had surgery on August 26. I am waiting to heal from that so I can start the lovely chemo. Please tell me it is not as bad as it sounds....loosing your hair, vomiting, lethargy... I know I'll experience some side effects...but I guess by listening to you gals it is survivable, just a b..ch.
  • Joycelouise

Chemo
    I am just about to start my chemo. I was diagnosed August 05 with stage 1 breast cancer, low grade. After surgery I found out it is stage 2 in at least my sentinel node, the others have not come back yet. had surgery on August 26. I am waiting to heal from that so I can start the lovely chemo. Please tell me it is not as bad as it sounds....loosing your hair, vomiting, lethargy... I know I'll experience some side effects...but I guess by listening to you gals it is survivable, just a b..ch.

Ginger, I did not have any
    Ginger, I did not have any nauseau (so I never learned how to spell it...I think that is right). You may not. They have "new" drugs that combat it but it has been harder to combat the old press that chemo has. I will tell you - IT IS SURVIVABLE! But the hairdo has got to go, unfortunately. Sometimes I think the early fear of DX serves a purpose - to make us scared enough that we are willing to loose our hair. We are here to help you on your journey. love, Joyce
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Generally speaking, the way
    Generally speaking, the way we react to our first chemo is the way we will react to the subsequent ones. Of course, there are exceptions, but it is safe to say you will not get worse. You will no doubt get cumulatively tired ( Exhausted, actually), and you will need to keep infection free as much as possible. The chemo will lower your white blood count, and you can be susceptible to infection a few days a month. Best to keep an instant read thermometer on hand and if your temp goes up to even 99~ call your Dr! Before cancer, a 99 degree temp would have been ignored of course, but what we did pre-chemo doesn't apply until post-chemo. Chances are, you will need an antibiotic if you have an increase in temperature.

Another hint: Drink water! Before during and after chemo! Keep you system hydrated and flushed!

Listen to your body, and ride this storm out...we will be with you for the duration and welcome you sooner than you think to the "other side" of cancer! HOORAY!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • chenheart

Chemo

Hair Today Gone Tomorrow
    Ginger~

Sigh...the hair is the hardest thing to come to terms with! Almost all of us struggle with this, and there is just the eventual coming to terms with the fact that a common side effect of chemotherapy for most of us is Hair Loss. If your chemo is the type which causes hair loss, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. The reaction is internal, so nothing external, no TLC will stave it off. For the record, I wish my Dr had told me that ANYWHERE you have hair, you won't during chemo! And, yes, I mean ANYWHERE!

So, if and when your hair starts shedding ( usually about your 2nd round of chemo) , bite the bullet and shave your head. :-(

Our scalps also oftentimes ache, and shaving your head will also instantly alleviate that.

Good news is~ It all grows back~ everywhere!

It is an insult to our femininity and an outward realization that we are indeed battling the beast...but we can and do win this battle every day! We will be here with you all of the way.

I am actually writing this just before I leave to get a haircut~ it is to my shoulders, and grows so fast that I get it re-shaped every 6 weeks. So, Yes, yes, yes....it all reverses itself!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Your First Chemo
    Derby: Everyone reacts differently to chemo. Some get very tired, others feel nauseas, others have no symptoms in the beginning. Just go with the flow. When you're tired, rest. You shouldn't feel too sick, as they have great meds for the nausea and vomiting today. Drink plenty of water, and by plenty I do mean 8 glasses of water a day. If you do not like the taste of plain water, than get vitamin water, or flavor enhanced water. I found I couldn't drink plain water, so I bought the propel packets or crystal light on the go packets and flavored my water that way. I did lose all of my hair 2 weeks after my first infusion. I purchased a wig I wore only 3 times, all the other times I wore a baseball cap or nothing. I can say that I was pretty much ok up until my very last infusion, which made me very nauseas. Otherwise, it was a lot better than I thought it would be. Before you know it you will be done and on your way to your new life after cancer. Good luck to you and keep posting. Love and hugs, Lili
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Also starting chemo..
    Thank you Derbygirl for asking these questions. I am having surgery in a few days to have a port placed. Then I will be starting chemo next week.

My oncologist was wonderful and spent over an hour with me on my first visit, explaining many things to me. However, I think it was a bit of overload. Maybe too much information all at once. That's why it's wonderful to be able to come here and ask questions.
    He did assure me that there are an array of drugs to counteract or lessen many side effects.

I did however, forget to ask if it is ok to get my usual flu and pneumonia vaccinations this year.
    And also if it is ok to continue taking my usual multi-vitamin.
    I did ask him if I should continue taking the 81mg aspirin that I take and he commented that it may have an effect on platelets...but in the end, left it pretty much up to me whether to continue it. Does anyone have any experience with taking aspirin during chemo?

I have had my hair cut very short and have made arrangements to have my head shaved, two weeks in. I have also purchased scarves and caps. I am doing my best to prepare.

At any rate, I am very glad to be able to come here and talk to all of the wonderful people on this site! Very reassuring and supportive! And always happy to share much needed information!

CR
  • mmontero38
    CR1954 said:

Also starting chemo..
    Thank you Derbygirl for asking these questions. I am having surgery in a few days to have a port placed. Then I will be starting chemo next week.

My oncologist was wonderful and spent over an hour with me on my first visit, explaining many things to me. However, I think it was a bit of overload. Maybe too much information all at once. That's why it's wonderful to be able to come here and ask questions.
    He did assure me that there are an array of drugs to counteract or lessen many side effects.

I did however, forget to ask if it is ok to get my usual flu and pneumonia vaccinations this year.
    I did ask him if I should continue taking the 81mg aspirin that I take and he commented that it may have an effect on platelets...but in the end, left it pretty much up to me whether to continue it. Does anyone have any experience with taking aspirin during chemo?

I have had my hair cut very short and have made arrangements to have my head shaved, two weeks in. I have also purchased scarves and caps. I am doing my best to prepare.

At any rate, I am very glad to be able to come here and talk to all of the wonderful people on this site! Very reassuring and supportive! And always happy to share much needed information!

CR

Vitamins
    CR: After reading your post, I thought I would answer a few of your comments. I continued to take a multi vitamin during chemo. It maintained my platelets higher and because you really are not eating much I felt that at least I was getting much needed vitamins. I did get a flu shot at the request of the oncologist. The pneumonia shot you only get every 5 yrs so if you had it already you may not need to have it this year. I haven't had to take aspirin, so I can't tell you what effects that may have. The problems is if your platelets drop you run the risk of hemorraging. Then you need to get a transfusion of platelets.

Also, don't know if your oncologist told you but if you run any signs of a fever over 99 you are to call them right away. Because your white cell counts drop during chemo, your body may not be able to fight any infection or virus and even a simple cold can create a complication. Good luck to you also, and if you have any questions, post them on the board and we will all try to help, Hugs, Lili
  • chenheart
    CR1954 said:

Also starting chemo..

CR

CR~
    I DID have a flu shot

CR~

I DID have a flu shot during chemo~ as our infection fighting capabilities are limited, any boost to the system is a good one! As mmontero mentioned, the pneumonia shot is only given every 5 years anyway, so that may be a moot point.

I also took my multivitamin, but being that I was also taking coumadin to keep my port running smoothly, I avoided aspirin.

You sound as prepared as anyone can be~ you do the physical stuff, and we will walk with you through the emotional, ok?? :-)

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Joycelouise
    Can't remember why but I was
    Can't remember why but I was definetely told no aspirin. Tylenol instead. I took the flu shot but check with doc. on that. Writing this and thinking about you I am struck with something...all the fear emotion felt going into chemo turns into this incredible desire to ease the journey for someone else once it is over. As the been there, done thats on this site wish you well, I am sure our combined force of empathy and encouragement must be hitting you like a wave! Best wishes, soon you will join the bt, dt's, and you will be cheering someone else on. love, Joyce
  • Derbygirl
    CR1954 said:

Also starting chemo..

CR

Also starting chemo
    My oncologist said a good flu vaccine is not available yet this year so not to worry about that. He did say to continue the multi-vitamins but I should add 800 units of Vitamin D even though I already had some with calcium and in the multi-vitamins. I need to clarify the Vit D dose with him. I'm not taking aspirin and he encouraged me to stay away from that. I'm on day 3 after first chemo and just a little sick feeling in the stomach. Taking anti-nausea pill as needed. It definitely upset the GI tract. No other side effects yet.

Derbygirl
  • Joycelouise
    Derbygirl said:

Also starting chemo
    My oncologist said a good flu vaccine is not available yet this year so not to worry about that. He did say to continue the multi-vitamins but I should add 800 units of Vitamin D even though I already had some with calcium and in the multi-vitamins. I need to clarify the Vit D dose with him. I'm not taking aspirin and he encouraged me to stay away from that. I'm on day 3 after first chemo and just a little sick feeling in the stomach. Taking anti-nausea pill as needed. It definitely upset the GI tract. No other side effects yet.

Derbygirl

Derby, It is a simple
    Derby, It is a simple matter, I think, to get a blood test (they just tack this one on when you do your regular series for chemo) to find out your vitamin D levels. There has been some pretty startling new studies about low vitamin D and succeptibility to C. You might as onc. to order it if you are concerned about Vit D. Joyce
  • mmontero38

Derby, It is a simple
    Derby, It is a simple matter, I think, to get a blood test (they just tack this one on when you do your regular series for chemo) to find out your vitamin D levels. There has been some pretty startling new studies about low vitamin D and succeptibility to C. You might as onc. to order it if you are concerned about Vit D. Joyce

Vitamin D
    Hi Joyce and Derby: I had my Vitamin D levels checked and they were so LOW that the oncologist put me on 50,000 IU of Vitamin D once a week for the next 3 months. Now, I do get some sun and I take calcium with D and it still wasn't enough. Therefore, do have the doctor check you levels. Once, I complete the 3 month regimen I will begin taking 1,000 IU daily. Hugs, Lili
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    1 down hooray
    Kudos to getting the first one underway. Remember to drink lots and lots of water because you want to flush this out. In addition, honor the days and week after chemo and totally rest. Your body needs to have this time to regroup. My first treatment was not good but when I followed the advice to drink lots of water prior, during, after treatment, it made a large difference. If you get to where you do not want water, use juices and ice to make smoothies. Make sure the juices are not too sweet or have acid because this could upset your stomach. I found that I mixed ice, strawberries, handful of blueberries, gingerale and it was a great drink. Take it slow and keep us informed on your progress.
  • Derbygirl

1 down hooray
    Kudos to getting the first one underway. Remember to drink lots and lots of water because you want to flush this out. In addition, honor the days and week after chemo and totally rest. Your body needs to have this time to regroup. My first treatment was not good but when I followed the advice to drink lots of water prior, during, after treatment, it made a large difference. If you get to where you do not want water, use juices and ice to make smoothies. Make sure the juices are not too sweet or have acid because this could upset your stomach. I found that I mixed ice, strawberries, handful of blueberries, gingerale and it was a great drink. Take it slow and keep us informed on your progress.

First chemo
    This is day five following the first treatment and it hasn't been too bad. Someone told me to not expect side effects and that's the way I'm going into this journey. It's helpful to have a wonderful husband who will do almost anything, two Jack Russell Terriers who provide unconditional love, a good employer who lets me work from home when needed and a circle of friends and family. I'm very lucky! Thanks for your words of support and encouragtement.

Derbygirl