Ileostomy reversal

Options
wolfmn26
wolfmn26 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I've had my ileostomy for almost a year and also had a colostomy at the same time. I had the colostomy reversed in June. The procedure done was a "pull-down" or a "pull-through". They basically stuffed my colon inside my rectum (I have about 2 1/2 inches of rectum left). They're just waiting for my insides to heal and then the docs will reverse the ileostomy, hopfully sometime in October.

What can I expect after the reversal? Also, has anyone else had this procedure done and what impact did it have on you?

Jim

Comments

• kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Oh MY GOD!
    I'm trying to imagine this procedure, and it's scarying me to death! I'm supposed to have my ileostomy reversed hopefully by the end of this month, and i have yet to talk to my surgeon about it. I only have a small portion of my rectum too, but they didn't give me a colostomy on top of the ileostomy. Did your surgeon tell you if that was going to be as complicated as your colostomy reversal?

I have talked to others on this board about ileostomy reversals. Particularly the ones that had it for a long time, like you and i. Everyone says you have to re-train your bowels. For some this is easy, for others it can take years. I'm beginning to stock up on diapers now, just in case.

Also, there will be some foods you may not be able to eat. I was told to experiment with different foods, and pay attention to how they affect bowel movements, and simply stay away from the foods that cause you diarrhea, or constipation.

I'm seeing a nutritionist this month also to prepare for the takedown. I would recommend you see one too. They will know the common foods to stay away from.

Keep an eye out for my post in early October. I will tell everyone how my reversal went, and if i'm going potty normally, or not!

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • wolfmn26
    wolfmn26 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Oh MY GOD!
    I'm trying to imagine this procedure, and it's scarying me to death! I'm supposed to have my ileostomy reversed hopefully by the end of this month, and i have yet to talk to my surgeon about it. I only have a small portion of my rectum too, but they didn't give me a colostomy on top of the ileostomy. Did your surgeon tell you if that was going to be as complicated as your colostomy reversal?

I have talked to others on this board about ileostomy reversals. Particularly the ones that had it for a long time, like you and i. Everyone says you have to re-train your bowels. For some this is easy, for others it can take years. I'm beginning to stock up on diapers now, just in case.

Also, there will be some foods you may not be able to eat. I was told to experiment with different foods, and pay attention to how they affect bowel movements, and simply stay away from the foods that cause you diarrhea, or constipation.

I'm seeing a nutritionist this month also to prepare for the takedown. I would recommend you see one too. They will know the common foods to stay away from.

Keep an eye out for my post in early October. I will tell everyone how my reversal went, and if i'm going potty normally, or not!

Many hugs,
    Krista

I don't have much of my rectum left either and I also had radiation that's why they decided on doing this "pull-down" procedure. I orginally didn't have both ostomies. I started off with just the ileostomy but had a complication following the surgery that they gave me the colostomy.

My colostomy reversal took about four hours and they had to open me back up. I ask my doctor about what was going to be involved with the ileostomy take down, he said that he shouldn't have to open me back up and that it should be a relatively simple procedure. I would imagine that your's will be pretty simple too.

I don't have a date yet when my take down will happen but I'm hoping in October also. I will report back afterwards.

Good luck and God bless,

Jim
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Good luck
    Hi,

If it is any help, my MIL had an a reversal and she runs circles around me still at 75. She had chrones and had most of bowels taken out. She has just learned what to eat and not eat. If she eats something 'bad' she knows she stays home or around a bathroom. She also knows what to eat to 'bind' her up some. It is almost like when I was sick and if I was going out had to plot where the bathrooms were in case I needed one. She is great though and you would never know how sick she was at one time. She was also dx with breast cancer and just had the surgery a few months ago. Again, she is still going strong.

Lisa F
  • DanK
    DanK Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Ileostomy Reversal
    Hi Jim -

I had Chemo and Radiation treatment for my colon cancer followed by the colon resection surgery. The resection surgery failed, resulting in an abscess. My tumor was only 12 cm from the anal opening, so there was not much colon to work with on the resection.

After the resection surgery failed, I had a second surgery to drain the abscess, and my ileostomy was put in. I had the ileostomy in for exactly a year. It has been 6 months since the reversal, and has been a challenge. My docs tell me to expect that it will take my colon as long as the ileostomy was in to get to normal, but caution me this normal will never be what it was like before the illness. My gastroenterologist recently advised it may take 2 years. Some keys to managing post reversal:

1) Watch what you eat as others have advised. No fatty foods, no junk foods, avoid sugar, alcohol, excessive coffee, etc. Do some research on diahrea and the foods that contribute.
    2) Eat banana's, rice, and marshmallows to help firm things up.
    3) Fiber - Fiber will both control and cause diahrea depending on the situation the person finds themselves in. I have 1/2 cup of Fiber One cereal each morning. It made a big difference within a week.

I kept a food journal for at least 3 months. If I had a bad morning or day, I would go back to the prior day and evening's meals to see what might be the cause.

Medications - My docs prefer Lomotil (or the generic equivalent) - this is a prescription medication, so those covered by insurance will find it cheaper than Immodium (over the counter). I tried both and currently feel like the Lomotil works better for me. I was taking as many as 5 tablets a day (2.5mg), cutting back to one or two per day over a month or so. I think most people agree that medication is critical to success in the early going.

I believe seeing a nutritionist is an outstanding suggestion. I am going to do the same, as unfortunaltely I had a hernia develop from all the abdominal surgeries and just had surgery for that 2 weeks ago. In addition, both my surgeon and my gasteroenerologist talked me into my follow-up colonoscopy (because it had been 18 months since my original diagnosis. The doc took a biopsy from the abscess site, which never fully healed. Right now I am back at square one as a result. I see the doc for follow-up to the surgery on Tuesday and plan to discuss this setback. I was against the colonoscopy due to the scheduled hernia surgery, and wish I had stuck with that.

Other folks on a couple of sites have recommened the following web site as helpful. I have not done more than browse it, so I can't say for sure whether there is useful info there, but I will be spending time reading through it to see if I can gather any helpful information for myself.

http://www3.mdanderson.org/depts/hcc/summer99/surgarticle.htm

I will give it some more thought to see if I have other helpful information for you. Prior to my recent setback, I was really starting to feel pleased about my progress, especially onec I stopped trying to think about how I was doing day to day, and started comparing my month to month progress. The first few months were very tough, both physically and emotionally, but it does get better! Let me know if you have more questions!

Dan
  • momofsix
    momofsix Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I had my ileostomy reversed
    I had my ileostomy reversed in March of 2008. The first two weeks were the hardest for me because they involved at least 15 trips to the bathroom per day. I never took any medication. I haven't had any problems with any types of food. I can eat anything, but I have noticed that my problem lies in the amount of food I eat. If I eat a very large meal I have diarrhea within 30 minutes. So as long as I stay with small servings I am fine.

The best advice I can give for your surgery is BRING YOUR OWN TOILET PAPER to the hospital. Something nice and soft and make it two rolls just in case. I'm so glad someone gave me this advice before my surgery. It was a lifesaver!
  • Lilbit1
    Lilbit1 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    lleostomy
    I had colorectal cancer in 01, had radiation and chemo. I had resection and tear down, I ended up with them taking all of my colon from infection, and I can not stay hydrated, I make several trips to the hospital, I have had surgery due to scar tissue and blockage. I felt better after my surgery than i feel today. I started having leg and buttock pain, my vascular Dr. said it was from bad circulation from smoking, wrong, I was later told that it was radiation damage to my nerves. I have many problems from the radiation,and have spent years on trying to get better and take my life back, that's all we can do and live life everyday.
    My prayers are with you all. Would like to hear from you.

Sincerely

Lilbit