need advice with ssi

Options
angelsbaby
angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
husband went to chemo yesterday bad day, there was about 18 people getting chemo 2 nurses only so it was a long day should of left by one but had to stay until 3 he was there at 8;30am so it was not good .did get his medical records and a letter stating , he has stage IV terminal colon cancer he is undergoing chemo therapy he unable to work now or for the remanier of his life.so i hope ssi will except that the office manager said we will probably be denied may have to get an attorney. i don't understand why he has worked since he was 16 and paid into ss all this time, we live in arizona is that why we may be denied my god my husband may be dying isn't that enough to get help when you need it.i have got all the other paper work that we may need for ssi i hope to god that there won't be any problems applying. they said it could take from 3 to 6 months until we recieve something. my husband can't work anymore to much pain in the pelvic area due to the new tumor growing and his stomach hurts due to the cancer there also so we will go on tuesday to do the paper work we went to the ssi last month could not start paper work until he no longer works thats a bunch of crap. so he nolonger is going to work so wish us luck with ssi and helpful hints please respond

thanks michelle

Comments

• sandyjg
    sandyjg Member Posts: 71
    Options
    social security
    Here are my words of wisdom. My husband applied on line for SSA, which is disability. A determination was made within 3 months and he was approved. There was a waiting period as you cannot have worked for a certain amount of time. I can't remember. It was easy and totally painless. NO appeals, no attorneys. I think having the diagnosis of stage IV colon cancer made the process quick and left no guess work. I vote, do not work if you can at all do without it. Enjoy each day and focus on living. Best of luck
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    sandyjg said:

social security
    Here are my words of wisdom. My husband applied on line for SSA, which is disability. A determination was made within 3 months and he was approved. There was a waiting period as you cannot have worked for a certain amount of time. I can't remember. It was easy and totally painless. NO appeals, no attorneys. I think having the diagnosis of stage IV colon cancer made the process quick and left no guess work. I vote, do not work if you can at all do without it. Enjoy each day and focus on living. Best of luck

SSA
    I have been on disability since 2004 with a bad back and neck. I also applied online and had to have my doctor sign some paperwork that I was unable to do my "customary" work. It was approved with no hassle and I even got retro payments from both the state of Ca and the federal government. Keep positive...ensure all the forms are filled out correctly. They should also help you at the local office. Good luck.
  • pluto
    pluto Member Posts: 2
    Options
    ssi
    Hi Michelle: I believe this is just horrible, but i'm a canadian and live in eastern province New Brunswick, i pay nothing for my treatment or operations as its all paid by Medicare even my Perscriptions are only $10 through blue cross that costs $89 monthly.
    So i don't agree at all with what you are going through but it really is not my place to comment, anyway i think a lawyer should be your next move.
    Please keep me aware of whats happening.

BrownB
  • sladich
    sladich Member Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    SSI
    Michelle,

I had no problem receiving SSI. I'm off it now and back to work full-time. If I become ill within 5 years with the same disease I automatically start benefits again. Best of luck.

Debbie
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    P.S.
    One more thing...don't listen to the "office Manager". She might be just a pessimistic person with no experience of her own. Just keep on top of it and don't spend the money for a lawyer unless they deny your claim. Stay positive...they do want to help people.
    Also, having dealt with two cancer centers now, they usually run late. It seems like I was always there almost a full 6-8 hours each time. Plan on it and it will be easier.
  • angelsbaby
    Options
    apache4 said:

P.S.
    One more thing...don't listen to the "office Manager". She might be just a pessimistic person with no experience of her own. Just keep on top of it and don't spend the money for a lawyer unless they deny your claim. Stay positive...they do want to help people.
    Also, having dealt with two cancer centers now, they usually run late. It seems like I was always there almost a full 6-8 hours each time. Plan on it and it will be easier.

thank you all for the info
    I will make sure my paper work is correct
  • doris2657
    doris2657 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    I was diagonsed in Feb 2008 with stage 4 colon cancer I applird for SSI but did not qualify had to go on disability it took one moth from the day I applied to get my disability and they payed me back to DEC of 2007 since that was my first Hospital admitance,I applied online then went down 2 weeks later,it worked very fast.Make shure you put all information down all medical every blood test he had done and where,everything now everything is done by computer even transfer of records from your DOC to SSi.Good luck and God bless you
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    in shock!
    I have been fighting with SSI since my diagnosis back in August of 07. They have been giving me such hell, i can't even believe no one else is having this problem. First off, let me add that SSA and SSI are two totally different things. There are certain guidelines you HAVE to meet to get either one of them. SSA requires that you've worked a certain amount of hours or something like that for the past ten years. I didn't qualify for that because i was a student for so long. For SSI, you practically have to be dead to get it, or to fight missing a deadline. So stage IV's might qualify easily because SSI is expecting them not to survive. I think that's horrible! They have all kinds of excuses to deny, but i don't think you will be denied because of that. It's true that you shouldn't listen to much of what they tell you. They lie. It never takes three months to get approved or denied, that i've ever heard of.

I just recently had to go to one of their eval doctors who told me there was nothing wrong with me. So I called an attorney because they were contradicting EVERYTHING my docs were saying. The attorney told me the doctors say that to everyone no matter what, and the judges don't take their opinions seriously. What the heck? Anyway, I hope it goes well for you, and i think it will, so hang in there. If they do give you as much hell as me, and if they do deny you, you can get an attorney, and it won't cost you anything except what SSI was supposed to back pay you. I'm not sure what kind of a percentage. I've decided to go up before the judge myself because my medical records are proof enough that i'm unable to work.

Keep us posted on what happens. I would be very curious.

Good luck, and many hugs,
    Krista
  • tlsart
    tlsart Member Posts: 33
    Options
    need advice on ssi
    Michelle, I think you want to apply for SSA. My sister-in-law got the ball rolling for me over the phone,while I was in the hospital. The person at my local social security office actually called me while I was in the hospital that vary day. She took the entire application over the phone. I had no worries because she told me in my condition as long as the doctors who were caring for me gave me a stage4 diagnoises it would be approved and she put the application on somekind of fast track for me. I didn'thave to contact the DR. at all they did the whole thing for me. I would do it over the phone if I were you that way you know there are no loose ends. I had a written response within a month, it was based on how much you worked in your last several years. Your husband should be receiving a statement (from social security) every year that statement is pretty accurate as the the amount of SSA disability he will receive. The bad news is it takes 7 months to get a ck you have to be disabled for 6 months before you get any money, then your ck comes the month after your 6th month. I pray it goes smoothly for you that's all you need is to mess with any hassles from anyone right now!!!
    Good Luck and God Bless you both! Theresa
  • angelsbaby
    Options
    tlsart said:

need advice on ssi
    Michelle, I think you want to apply for SSA. My sister-in-law got the ball rolling for me over the phone,while I was in the hospital. The person at my local social security office actually called me while I was in the hospital that vary day. She took the entire application over the phone. I had no worries because she told me in my condition as long as the doctors who were caring for me gave me a stage4 diagnoises it would be approved and she put the application on somekind of fast track for me. I didn'thave to contact the DR. at all they did the whole thing for me. I would do it over the phone if I were you that way you know there are no loose ends. I had a written response within a month, it was based on how much you worked in your last several years. Your husband should be receiving a statement (from social security) every year that statement is pretty accurate as the the amount of SSA disability he will receive. The bad news is it takes 7 months to get a ck you have to be disabled for 6 months before you get any money, then your ck comes the month after your 6th month. I pray it goes smoothly for you that's all you need is to mess with any hassles from anyone right now!!!
    Good Luck and God Bless you both! Theresa

thank you all
    the medical records had the wrong date on them so we are waiting for the corrected ones then we will go to the ss office, husband was very sick this whole weekend has been vomiting since thursday pump off friday given fluids in the iv. he wanted to ride his harley yesterday but was still feeling sick that made him so sad and mad. he is becoming more tearful lately . this chemo just kicked his butt he dosn't want to feel sick anymore going to doc today will see what he says

angelsbaby