ONE YEAR

Options
valeriec
valeriec Member Posts: 348 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi to all-
As some of you may remember, my mom (62 years old) passed away one year ago today from stage 4 CC. She battle last only 15 months. It seemed as if nothing we tried could slow that terrible train down. I know that many people are able to embrace their cancer experience and I admire them for that, because I am not there yet, and don't know if I ever will get there. I used to pray to God when I was young to please not take my mom until I was like 30. Back when you are ten, 30 seems really old. Well, He took her when I was 41 and I still was not ready. I really miss her. But, on a lighter note, we have made it a year. It has not always been pretty, but we did it. Maybe this next year, we can focus on healing a little more.

This board was truly a blessing to me. I have met so many great people here. I don't know what I would have done with out so many of you. So, thank you very much. I don't post a lot any more, but I do read the posts and keep all of you in my prayers.

My family put a memoriam in the paper for my mom. If you would like you can go to:
gjsentinal.com
click on obituaries,
scroll down to Masias, Sheila Ann
click on her name and then click on display.
You will then be able to read what we wrote. Also, you can sign the guest book if you would like.

God bless-
ValerieC

Comments

• kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Loved one lost
    I'm so sorry about your Mom. A year is not a very long time, so i'm sure you're still very tender. I don't know if you'll ever not be tender. I can't imagine such a terrible loss. Being on the other end of the stick, it's my loved ones who seem to panic over my illness more than i do. As hard as cancer treatments are, i truly think it's harder for them.
    The loved ones end up being the cancer survivors even if they never had it themselves.

I will look at the website honoring your Mom. I'm sure it's a beautiful tribute.

Many hugs,
    Krista

Wow, i just read the memorium. How beautiful. I can't stop crying now :(
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    AHOY, VAL
    Thanks for the note about your mom. I know this has been a tough year for you, your dad and your family, but I also know you guys have been doing well - sounds like you have someone watching over you?

Thanks for reminding us ALL that life goes on and we need to get out there and enjoy it every day.

Be well.

- SB
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Prayers
    My husband's mom passed away just about a year ago (not from cancer), so I know that amount of time is not nearly enough to have it not be a raw kind of hurt. I pray for peace for your family. Thanks for sharing the website about your mom. I will certainly take some time to look at that.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hi Valerie! is incredible
    Hi Valerie! is incredible that have been a year already,I remember how much dedicated you were to your Mom,she was a lucky lady to have a daughter like you, but I'm sure she deserved it,I know too that you are a family of a lot of faith,so you have the confort of knowing that she is in a better place now, I always think how harder have to be for people that don't believe when they loose a loved one. Lots of hugs to you and your family.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    Thank you for keeping us up to date on your mom. Anniversary dates are always hard and I still remember my dad on birthdays etc. Makes me happy to think about him and remember the good times.
    Jo Ann
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Anniversaries are hard
    Hi Valerie,

I haven't been around much but I understand all you are going through. My dad's passing will be 2 yrs ago Sept 9th. The first year was the roughest. Since then I started being my mom's care giver which is taking over what he was doing for her. He passed away from prostrate cancer. He had only been fighting for a few months but chemo and another cancer (CLL) drug his immune system down. I still miss him but don't cry quite so much thinking about him. I know he and your mother are up in heaven looking down on both of us. I love the analogy of an angle on our shoulders watching over us. HUGS!!!

Lisa F