USAKAT

Options
Monicaemilia
Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Katie: I must have missed the update while I was in the hospital. Did I read correctly that you can keep your stomach? Is everything okay? Thinking and worrying about you. Monica

Comments

• spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    THE GUT STAYS
    Ahoy, Monica -

You read correctly; Katie's diagnosis was, indeed, incorrect. She was originally diagnosed with signet ring cell gastric cancer. Not a good Dx. Her surgeon was hurtling into a gastrectomy head-first when her onc said, hmmm... let's get a better idea of what we're dealing with. Further tests and a consult with Mayo Clinic determined that the biopsy that started all of this adventure was not positive for cancer - it was, however, positive for PSEUDO-signet ring cells... not a carcinoma. Big sigh of relief - especially in that the determination was made before they took Katie's tummy out and not after (I hear it's hard to stick it back in once it's been taken out and sliced & diced looking for the cancer).

I'm obviously elated - as is she - but I am also really happy because I love to cook and it's tough cooking for just one.

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers - thanks for the note.

- Chef Boy-ar-Bob

PS: Katie asked me to mention that the reason she hasn't posted is because I have comandeered her computer... (actually it's just that I am home from being at sea for the last 3.5 months - wink-wink)
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    spongebob said:

THE GUT STAYS
    Ahoy, Monica -

You read correctly; Katie's diagnosis was, indeed, incorrect. She was originally diagnosed with signet ring cell gastric cancer. Not a good Dx. Her surgeon was hurtling into a gastrectomy head-first when her onc said, hmmm... let's get a better idea of what we're dealing with. Further tests and a consult with Mayo Clinic determined that the biopsy that started all of this adventure was not positive for cancer - it was, however, positive for PSEUDO-signet ring cells... not a carcinoma. Big sigh of relief - especially in that the determination was made before they took Katie's tummy out and not after (I hear it's hard to stick it back in once it's been taken out and sliced & diced looking for the cancer).

I'm obviously elated - as is she - but I am also really happy because I love to cook and it's tough cooking for just one.

- Chef Boy-ar-Bob

PS: Katie asked me to mention that the reason she hasn't posted is because I have comandeered her computer... (actually it's just that I am home from being at sea for the last 3.5 months - wink-wink)

YYiippee...
    I am so happy to hear the great news. What a wonderful gift and it is particularly special that you are there with her. She's one special lady, please take care of each other. Monica
  • fedester
    fedester Member Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    spongebob said:

THE GUT STAYS
    Ahoy, Monica -

- Chef Boy-ar-Bob

bob and kat
    great

bob and kat
    great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    be well
    never,ever give up!!
    bruce
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    spongebob said:

THE GUT STAYS
    Ahoy, Monica -

- Chef Boy-ar-Bob

GREAT NEWS
    Hi guys,
    Hope you are taking some time to continue reading these boards...return wink, wink....what wonderful news. Katie's post took my breath away, but her attitude was also really awesome. I'm sorry you rushed home fearing the worst; I'm sure you don't need any reminders to enjoy this unexpected time together. Thank God for second opinions that give such great news. So....any chance of a trip to New England...leaf peeping and chowdah? Big hug to you both, Judy
  • jsabol said:

GREAT NEWS
    Hi guys,
    Hope you are taking some time to continue reading these boards...return wink, wink....what wonderful news. Katie's post took my breath away, but her attitude was also really awesome. I'm sorry you rushed home fearing the worst; I'm sure you don't need any reminders to enjoy this unexpected time together. Thank God for second opinions that give such great news. So....any chance of a trip to New England...leaf peeping and chowdah? Big hug to you both, Judy

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy
    Congratulations Katie and Bob, I missed too that post about the good news.
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Happy, Happy, Happy!
    Sorry I've been AWOL - Bob has dominated the computer since being home....

I'm so relieved and grateful that my stomach problem was not cancer. It was an emotional exercise indeed. I'm also comforted that I will be very closely monitored with follow up EGDs and CT/PET scans every three months for the next year since they did find abnormal cells that seemed to have baffled the local pathologists here.

Aside from that crazy ordeal, it's been great having Bob home. I have the most wonderful husband! I'm so glad I met and married him! Thanks CSN!

And thank you everyone who sent well wishes, good thoughts and prayers. I truly appreciate the support and friendship.

Hugs!
    Katie