side effects of Mitoxantrone for advanced OC

Options
paula2
paula2 Member Posts: 162
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Anyone had this drug? I have some serious edema in foot and of all places, the vulva or outer vagina. Doc will probably answer as to what's next, tomorrow, but I'm searching for
answers in the community. Wrote a longer post, only to lose it when the my page dealy needed updating. Anyway, I've been having one chemo after another for as long as they work and now am very weakened and underweight. I don't know what to expect next. Is anyone else in this worrisome space? Paula2

Comments

• mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Mitoxantrone side affects
    Paula:
    Sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time. Unfortunately, I can't answer your question regarding the Mitoxantrone and swelling. But I'm sure you'll get some other responses on that. I do have edema, only in my left leg. My doctor tells me it is a direct consequence of several abdominal surgeries, chemo, etc. I am no longer on chemo, and the swelling has gone down somewhat, but it would be nice to have to disappear completely!

It concerns me more that you are underweight and weak. These treatments are such a strain on our bodies. Not only are we trying to respond to chemo to fight this thing, but we are trying to rebuild our and repair our body to withstand the next treatment and try to heal. I know you're probably not interested much in eating or drinking, but I have a couple of suggestions. If nothing else, at least try to drink something every couple of hours or so that will help you recover and build yourself back up again. My personal choice was a good protein supplement that I could mix with water, milk or juice. Your body does not have to work hard to digest these products, but you have the benefit of important nutrients that you might not otherwise get because you cannot eat.

Well, I hope this helps. I know this must be difficult for you. And I hope that your doctors keep giving you options, as there are many out there. Keep us informed, let us know how you are doing.

Till later, sending hugs, and prayers.
    Monika
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Mitoxantrone
    I have not had this drug or edema. Just wanted you to know that Monica is right about the nutrition. I am having just the opposite problem and gaining like mad. Isn't it odd how we all react to chemo differently, at times. Just wanted you to know that I will be praying that you receive the answers from your doctor soon. (Hugs and Prayers) Saundra
  • paula2
    paula2 Member Posts: 162
    Options
    saundra said:

Mitoxantrone
    I have not had this drug or edema. Just wanted you to know that Monica is right about the nutrition. I am having just the opposite problem and gaining like mad. Isn't it odd how we all react to chemo differently, at times. Just wanted you to know that I will be praying that you receive the answers from your doctor soon. (Hugs and Prayers) Saundra

thank you for the feedback, Monika and Saundra
    Losing 30 or more pounds this last year has really set me back. It's weight I put on in my 40's and 50's, and never thought I'd lose. I'm 5'10" and 120 now. It means loss of strength and certainly hurts the ability to fight the damage caused by chemo. The last few pounds are so obvious, in that my face is shrinking and wrinkling like a drying prune...boo-hoo. I guess it doesn't matter now if I take Taxetere again as a last ditch effort to shrink the tumor load. I had refused it because I wanted to at least have hair for the last period of my life. That and the possibility of worsened neuropathy in the hands have me turning to anything but the Taxanes. Now it seems like my body doesn't have any chemo going on, just a rapid progression of the disease. The docs just say that we need to give the chemo time to work. It's a 3-wk schedule and I'm stil waiting, on day 13, to have a whole day without being sick or in extreme pain and bloated. Food gives me gas pains and I throw up what will not digest.

I am using a protein powder in organic rice milk. This goes down well and has fortification that I can feel..energy-wise. Smoothies are okay too, as long as the fruit is pulverized. And yogurt and jello, of all things. My partner makes me chicken soup. Without a lot of salt, this has been welcome, also. I used to be good at this, but now have no desire to eat. It is a challenge. As I'm taking a continuous releas pain med, I have to keep some food in the stomach or the nausea wins.

I feel like I've had it pretty easy these past years. It was because I was strong and able to fight back. I don't know how many more chemos are available, but as each one fails, I am challenged to find hope. I have wonderful support and so much to be thankful for. It's just that I'm not finished living yet and do not want to die before the birth of my 2nd grandchild in Jan.

Thank you for listening. I think I remember you both from earlier posts in '07. I hope your lives are easier and more comfortable..and that you are continuing to remain strong. Thank you also for your prayers. Mine are for you also.

Keepin' the faith,
    Paula2
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Sending a hug and prayers
    Hey Paula, I havent' had this drug either, hope the doc had good news for you. I, like yourself, have had one chemo after another for 5 years 9 months now. :-) It is amazing what our bodies can tolerate. Sorry to hear of all the wieght loss, I know it has to add the strength you have. Why so much weight loss? Have they mentioned tpn to keep your nourshiment up? I know other women who have had a feeding tube put in to ensure they get the nutrition needed.

May you rest in the prayers of all the earth angels that are there for you. Hugs N Prayers Bonnie