More News

Options
Sandi1
Sandi1 Member Posts: 277
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Ok, so here it is - my husband was diagnosed on Aug 13 with Colon Cancer - found during a colonscopy. He then had an endoscope on Aug 18 - which was clear. Then Aug 19 went for blood tests and a ct scan. The ct scan results came back and it showed abnormalities on his liver. Today Aug. 26th he went to pick up the ct scan films to take to the surgeon tomorrow. He sat down with the gastroenterologist's partner and he pretty well told my husband the same thing the gastroenterologist told him. From there he decided to visit our primary physician who is in the same building as the gastroenterologist; He was the one who told my husband that there are also spots on his lung. Oh my god - I don't think I can take anymore. Now i'm nervous and worried that things may not turn out good. The Primary physician did say - you are young and you can fight. I prayed to god that his lungs would be clear but they are not. Now what do we do - I can't lose him now, I need him.

Comments

• rmap59
    rmap59 Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Hi Sandi,
    I know this seems

Hi Sandi,
    I know this seems like more than you can handle. It is devastating when it happens to you or a loved one. I've had it and so has my Mom. Please know that there are a lot of advances in cancer treatment and I believe we will find a cure before too long. Try and stay positive(I know easy for me to say). Waiting is so hard but once the diagnosis is firm the treatment will begin. I dont know why God gives us diseases like cancer but keep your faith. Mark 11:22. Keep us informed.
    Robin
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    same boat
    my husband too has it pretty bad and like you i can;t lose him but trust the docs and god we will get threw this, it will be hard but we have to for our husbands

michelle
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Your husband's diagnosis
    Sandi, I am so sorry you and your husband are having to deal with this; you are in my prayers. As Robin said, once all the information is in, the doctors will be able to firm up a method of attack, then you will have something to focus your energies on. I was initially diagnosed in 2004, and over the years there have been good and there have been bad days. What i can say for sure is that for the most part, the good days make the bad days worth it. Keep a strong faith that your journey isn't over and that you are not alone in this fight. Keep us informed, ok? Mary
  • tlsart
    tlsart Member Posts: 33
    Options
    rmap59 said:

Hi Sandi,
    I know this seems

Hi Sandi,
    I know this seems like more than you can handle. It is devastating when it happens to you or a loved one. I've had it and so has my Mom. Please know that there are a lot of advances in cancer treatment and I believe we will find a cure before too long. Try and stay positive(I know easy for me to say). Waiting is so hard but once the diagnosis is firm the treatment will begin. I dont know why God gives us diseases like cancer but keep your faith. Mark 11:22. Keep us informed.
    Robin

Mark 11:22
    I so needed to read that again, today has been a low day with chemo tomarrow. Thanks
  • tlsart
    tlsart Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Stage 4 diagnoises
    Sandi, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband and I understand how scarry this is as I was in the same boat 8plus months ago. I had a tumor in colon thus a colonoscopy was performed and I also had nodes,liver (more than 10 nodules) and lungs (70nodules) affected. Today I am going thru chemo and feel sure I am going to get a cure. I have low days and scarry days to and I have educated myself with info on all the websites I could find. Information from other patients has been wonderful for making me not feel so alone. Stay strong and know we are here for you anytime you need us!! Everyone here is wonderful. Peace be with you!!
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    NEVER GIVE UP
    Hi, Sandi -

I am sorry to hear about the challenges you and your husband find yourselves facing. The first thing I would tell you is to breathe. As my wife, usakat, and I found out recently, not all cancer diagnoses are conclusive. She was just diagnosed with a very rare and extremely aggressive form of stomach cancer and her doc actually called me back from a military deployment to Africa and Eastern Europe to be with her when she had surgery to remover her stomach. Within three weeks, however, her diagnosis had changed to "woops... not cancer. Glad we didn't take out your stomach. We sure would have felt silly."

I'm not saying that the test results you have received are not correct, I am saying that test results are the beginning of the process. Work with the doctors to REALLY evaluate the results and map out a plan of action. One thing I would note is that scar tissue - which is common in the lungs - is sometimes seen as possible cancer. I have had a spot on my liver and my kidney for years. It hasn't grown - ergo it isn't cancer. A PeT scan can confirm a lot of that.

Even if it is cancer, there are plenty of treatment options from thoractomy to liver resection to RFA. There are a LOT of stage 4 survivors here on this site who are living proof that you can't count folks out of the game just because they develop mets.

I am sure that all of this challenging information is overwhelming right now. I don't envy your situation, but I can tell you it doesn't mean you're going to lose your husband. Your attitude will have a significant impact on his attitude. If you are positive, you will help him be positive. And, attitude is 80% of your recovery from cancer.

Stay positive, focused, and take these pieces of info for what they are - facts you and your doctors need to use in developing a plan to kill the cancer. Not a death sentence - unless you're a cancer cell.

Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

- SpongeBob