Support outside the Circle of Family & Friends

Options
Irishwhispers
Irishwhispers Member Posts: 96
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey "Club Members" this is one CLUB I certainly do NOT want to be PRESIDENT of! *Smiles*

I am just wondering if anyone has tried the support groups from the ACS, I am seriously thinking of exploring this option.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Hugs and High Fives!
Trish

Comments

• chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Circle Of Friends....
    Hi Trish!

I have not tried the physical support groups, for myriad reasons. One, I live about 40 miles from the local ACS office, and the Cancer Center where I went for treatment. Two, I am actually a shy person, and feel much more comfortable babbling away online, either being irreverant in chat, or reading and posting here on the boards. And, oddly enough, I am trying to stop being so regimented in my life, which is something my personal circumstances thrust on me for a long, long time. If I knew I had to be someplace every Tuesday at 3-4 PM OR could chose to be in my PJ's or in a ball-gown ( sooo not likely!) and go online whenever I felt like it~ that's a no brainer for me. I am online in a heartbeat.

The downside of that decision of course is that I really know few people. By staying online, I don't get together for lunch or movies with other survivors.

Let me know what you decide, and if you do decide to go to a local group, please let me know how that is!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Support
    Trish, First of all, welcome. Sorry you have to be here but am glad you found this site. I have found it to be a wonderful source for information, and more importantly, support from all the kind and caring people that I have met here. But, I was feeling like I needed to actually meet and talk with survivors in the flesh. So last winter I called our local chapter of The Breast Cancer Coalition of(Rochester). Our group meets every three weeks on tuesday evenings. We have members that are in every stage of treatment/survivorship. We chat, offer advice, listen, share, and support eachother---it is wonderful. We have a great facilitator that keeps things moving along and ensures that everyone has a chance to speak. We also get together for special occasions--we had a picnic this summer as well as other things. No pressure to attend though. I always feel better after each meeting. I guess it is just comforting to spend time with others who have beeen exactly in my shoes, and really know how I may be feeling. I really recommend a support group. Check and see if you have a BCC chapter in your area or perhaps ACN could help. Good luck, Eileen.
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Support groups
    Hi Trish,

I joined my local group because I'm new to the area and didn't know a lot of people. Someone told me that you need to go a couple of times to see if it's right for you. My group is BC only, but there are general "c" (I refuse to make it a capital) groups too.

I've found them very supportive and a really "good group". Call ACS and they can direct you to one near you. You don't have to participate, you can just listen when you go.

Good luck. Don't forget, there's also a 24/7 person you can talk to thru ACS, but since they need to connect you with the proper volunteer, there's sometimes a delay before they call you back.

Hope this helps,
    Jan
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I definitely do not want to
    I definitely do not want to discourage you from joining a support group, but I do want to tell my experience. I went to one offered by Kaiser that was for all types of Cancer. It made me feel like part of a pretty unhappy family. And saying things to oneself like "Thank goodness I don't have what he or she has" is not all that uplifting. For myself, I think that a breast cancer specific group is best. Why Me (Now named something like Breast Cancer Network of Hope) also has support groups that are BC. We should all continue to look for the help we need, even if we only attend a few things once till we find the right fit. Let us know how it goes! love, Joyce
  • Skybuf
    Skybuf Member Posts: 143
    Options
    CA support group
    Hi Irish, I am currently thinking on opening up a support group here in my small community, seeing there isn't any for miles and so many with the ..dx
    I will be watching all the replies myself.....hope your keeping well!
    Love and hugs