mastectomy bras reviews?

Options
d_reed
d_reed Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm 10 weeks post mastectomy and am now in the process of searching for mastectomy bras. I'm hoping to find a "sexy" mastectomy bra, but I am finding that to be easier said than done. Everything seems so plain and unattractive. I've searched online for quite a bit but have not found much. Most websites don't give a detailed picture of the fabric, patterns, etc. My top site right now has to be this lady's called kimberly ashmand mastectomy bras (www.kimberlyashmand.com). They are really beautiful (or at least the pictures on the website are). I ordered one last week. Anyone have any experience with her bras? Or have any other suggestions?
I should have my bra either today or tomorrow, so if it's ok with everyone else, I will post to tell everyone what the bra is like. I ordered the strapless one (which, by the way, I thought I would never be able to wear a strapless bra - so that in it of itself is exciting!!)
thanks!

Comments

• NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Bras
    I'm not sure if this would help, but I went to Nordstrom's (my insurance paid for the 2 bras's and the prosthesis). They will put a pocket for the prosthesis in any bra,free of charge, and I got 2 lacy, non-mastectomy bras.

Since I lived about 60 miles away, they sent them to me when they were complete, and didn't charge for the shipping. They also put me on a list that will entitle me to buy other bra'a before the 2 years are up (when my insurance will again pay), without paying tax, shipping, or for the pocket.
    And, no, I usually don't shop at Nordstrom's, but someone told me about this service, and I couldn't be happier. They have women who are trained to fit mastectomy patients. And, according to a program I once saw on Oprah,(O.K., I admit it,I watch her, LOL) most women don't wear the correct size---I was definitely one of those. They even convinced me to buy an underwire, which I never liked before (obviously because I wasn't ever fitted---correctly---or in my case---at all!)

I'm sure you can get some nice ones on line too. This is just another sugeestion for the future.
    Definitely come back here and let us know what you think of your new purchase.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Bras
    Hi D; I also purchased my mastectomy bras at Nordstrom. I actually picked out some pretty Wacoal Bras, which were also donating money to the Susan G. Komen foundation for every bra they sold. They sewed pockets on for the prosthesis. I also purchased 2 prosthesis, one regular and one waterproof for swimming. I actually liked the waterproof one better since it was much lighter. Check with your insurance company to see what's covered and where that way if you have an HMO or PPO you won't have to pay a deductable or co-pay for any of this. Good luck with your new bra and let us know how you make out. Hugs, Lili
  • momoflove4
    momoflove4 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Kimberly Ashmands website
    I went to Kimberly Ashmands website and I'm very small and she doesn't have my size at all. It's a shame. I've ordered from BrightPink.com and have had luck and there seems to be a bigger selection of bras to choose from. Thank you for the tip in regard to Norstorm's. I don't have a store near me but I'll give them a call and explain my situation and hopefully they'll work with me. I really appreciate your tips ladies. Thank you.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I am with you on this one.
    I am with you on this one. Sexy bras are not something I want to give up. I got an underwire sorta sexy one from a shop in Sacramento that just does mas. bras. But here is what I want to share. I went to Nordstroms and got a sales girl who didn't really know what she was doing. I tried on a real cute purple lacy number off the rack. She said she could fit it with a pocket. I told her that it wasn't high enough. She said no prob. She was wrong. The thing we need with mas. bras is a full, not demi cup. There is about an inch between me and the top of the bra that is empty. I can wear it under high necked stuff, but under a lower neck, anyone could look down my shirt and see the missing piece. My joke is I used to bend over infront of the mirror in the morning because I was afraid people could look down my shirt and see my breasts. Now I am afraid they will look down my shirt and NOT see my breasts. Sigh. Good luck and best wishes from your fellow SEXY mas girl. Joyce
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Try Mail Order
    When I first looked for a bra, I went to a special shop that had a professional fitter. They did a great job of sizing me, but they only had a few bras in my size because I'm on the small side. I heard about Jodee Post-Mastectomy fashions and called to have them send me a catalog. Their number is 1-800-821-2767. They have a variety of styles and plenty of sizes to choose from. They are definately not demi bras, but some have lacy details and all that I have tried felt comfortable and worked to hold the prothesis in place. The operator has been very helpful when I have called, but they do not have a website.

C. Abbott
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    Good news
    My friend that opted to not to have reconstruction, took some of her old "sexy" bras to a seamstress and they added a pocket for the prothesis. That way she didn't have to throw out her old bras. In addition, she bought some new ones and had the pockets added. I know that the mastectomy bras are expensive and this will save in cost and more choices. Hope this helps.
  • d_reed
    Options

Good news
    My friend that opted to not to have reconstruction, took some of her old "sexy" bras to a seamstress and they added a pocket for the prothesis. That way she didn't have to throw out her old bras. In addition, she bought some new ones and had the pockets added. I know that the mastectomy bras are expensive and this will save in cost and more choices. Hope this helps.

got my bra from kimberly ashmand =)
    Hi everyone,
    me again! Sorry it took me a couple of days to post. I got my bras early last week from the kimberly ashmand online boutique, but I wanted to give them a couple of days to give my "review" =)
    I wore my strapless bra under a thin strapped dress out to dinner on friday. It’s comfortable and actually stays in place!! Really feminine.
    I was also pleased with some of the extras I received. Clear, adjustable straps and matching undies!

Thank you for everyone suggestions. I have tried Nordstrom but I don't really care of them (sorry if that offends anyone). I think I prefer the mail order process. I still feel really uncomfortable going into places like boutiques and Nordstrom. Plus, one time I was at Nordstrom and tried to ask someone about mastectomy bras, the girl was completely clueless as to what I was talking about!

Overall, I love my bra. I am quite happy with it. I Love that I have more options for clothing now!!! I have already gone ahead and ordered a second one (the cami). I actually ordered it from her other online store (I guess she has 2). The other one (http://www.kamastectomybras.com) has much better close up pictures. If anyone cares, let me know and I could post a review about that one, too.

Thanks again to everyone =)

ps
    thanks survivor51. Taking some of my old bras to a seamstress and have her add pockets is a great idea!!
  • ggcs111
    ggcs111 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    d_reed said:

Hi everyone,
    me again! Sorry it took me a couple of days to post. I got my bras early last week from the kimberly ashmand online boutique, but I wanted to give them a couple of days to give my "review" =)
    I wore my strapless bra under a thin strapped dress out to dinner on friday. It’s comfortable and actually stays in place!! Really feminine.
    I was also pleased with some of the extras I received. Clear, adjustable straps and matching undies!

Thank you for everyone suggestions. I have tried Nordstrom but I don't really care of them (sorry if that offends anyone). I think I prefer the mail order process. I still feel really uncomfortable going into places like boutiques and Nordstrom. Plus, one time I was at Nordstrom and tried to ask someone about mastectomy bras, the girl was completely clueless as to what I was talking about!

Overall, I love my bra. I am quite happy with it. I Love that I have more options for clothing now!!! I have already gone ahead and ordered a second one (the cami). I actually ordered it from her other online store (I guess she has 2). The other one (http://www.kamastectomybras.com) has much better close up pictures. If anyone cares, let me know and I could post a review about that one, too.

ps
    thanks survivor51. Taking some of my old bras to a seamstress and have her add pockets is a great idea!!

pockets
    Hi d_reed, Where did you buy the pockets to add to the bra or did you have the seamstress purchase from a supplier to put on your old bras? I bought my mastectomy bras from a great place here in my city called Petticoat Fair and they fitted me with a not-so-attractive nonwire bra. I'm big breasted but recently lost 50 lbs so they fitted me with a 38F bra size which was happy news for me. Usually I buy a 40 or 42 bra, double D. Thanks.
  • d_reed
    Options
    ggcs111 said:

pockets
    Hi d_reed, Where did you buy the pockets to add to the bra or did you have the seamstress purchase from a supplier to put on your old bras? I bought my mastectomy bras from a great place here in my city called Petticoat Fair and they fitted me with a not-so-attractive nonwire bra. I'm big breasted but recently lost 50 lbs so they fitted me with a 38F bra size which was happy news for me. Usually I buy a 40 or 42 bra, double D. Thanks.

HI ggcs111,
    I actually have

HI ggcs111,
    I actually have not taken it to them to a seamstress yet. Nor have I bought the pockets. I was just responding to survivor51's post. Maybe she will post where she bought hers. Now that I am looking at some of my old bras, I actually don't think they will fit high enough in the cups to cover a prosthesis =(
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    d_reed said:

Hi everyone,

ps

Thrilled
    I'm thrilled you love the new bra because it just makes the whole package when you going out. The seamstress will be able to add the pockets. You can even take the one you purchased and show exactly what you want. I'm glad you are going to use the old bras. The thought of throwing mine out was more expense than I wanted and I like my old bras. I did take the underwires out because with my reconstruction, they say I can't wear underwires. I think it is so helpful to have others give prior suggestions that they have found. Thanks for the websit because I was able to pass it on to a friend. Take care, Angela
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Old Bras and New Bras
    Hi D: So glad that you found the KA bras to your liking, and sorry you had such a bad experience with Nordstrom. Now, you have 2 sites you can purchase your new bras from. It's great to be able to find sexy mastectomy bras to make us feel even better. Hugs, Lili