Options
2»

Comments

• base61ball
    base61ball Member Posts: 125
    Options
    jamiesue1 said:

dropping treatment
    I know you don't mean it about quitting treatment cause you're not a quitter. It's just the frustration you're feeling. I'm going through that now myself. As far as financial help. There is help out there. I applied to about 7 Breast Cancer foundations and 6 came through for me. One even gave me $2000.00. One paid 2 of my car payments. Some gave Supermarket gift cards ($650 and $200) and some gave cash ranging from $250-$500. There is help out there. I wouldn't have even thought about it until I mentioned to the breast care co-ordinator at the hospital where I had my Mast. that I was being financially destroyed by the mos. off from work I needed. She printed out a bunch of applications to these foundations and I am so grateful. Besides the emotional wreck I was, I didn't need the financial problem on top of it. It didn't get me out of fin. devastation but it sure helped. Talk to the social worker/breast care counselor at your hospital to see what they can come up with.
    Good luck
    Jamiesue

Foundations
    Jamiesue-can you give me the names of the foundations? I have been hitting brick walls everywhere and could use the info. social workers where I go have not mentioned such things - thank you.
  • Yve
    Yve Member Posts: 14
    Options

Foundations
    Jamiesue-can you give me the names of the foundations? I have been hitting brick walls everywhere and could use the info. social workers where I go have not mentioned such things - thank you.

Hi...
    I have breast cancer and spine....I went to check mykidney or lower back. It was so much pain!! With the cat scan they told me i have cancer and gave me 6 month. I'm in panic!!
    I had 12 ratiation on my spine so far and I'm about to start Quemo... they already put the catheter on my chest... :( They said i cannot work or drive because the tumor on my spine can make me paralized.... so I need some financial help information too.
    This is my first day here....and I hope to hear from somebody!!!
  • base61ball
    Options
    Yve said:

Hi...
    I have breast cancer and spine....I went to check mykidney or lower back. It was so much pain!! With the cat scan they told me i have cancer and gave me 6 month. I'm in panic!!
    I had 12 ratiation on my spine so far and I'm about to start Quemo... they already put the catheter on my chest... :( They said i cannot work or drive because the tumor on my spine can make me paralized.... so I need some financial help information too.

Hi
    Yve - Im so sorry you are having to go through this - as for financial help, start with the American Cancer Society and the social worker at your Oncologist's office. They are good resources for help with transportation and many other things. You have to keep on it - hard I know, but perserverence will help.

You have come to the right place for help, understanding and support. Next time, click on new topic on the main page to post - that way you will be "out there" for others to see your questions. We'll be praying for you.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Yve said:

Hi...

((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))
    Yve~ We envelope you with love and support, and are with you every step of your journey. Please do check with you local ACS office as regards financial aid...if they cannot provide it, they will at the very least know of some resources for you.

Please keep in touch with us~ we are a wonderful supportive group of mostly women, and a few teriffic men doing battle with the breast cancer beast, as well.

We are very sorry you found your way to the cancer discussion boards, NONE of us wanted to be touched by this disease. But, being that we have been, this site is the most compassionate, insightful place you can imagine. Feel free to post here anytime~ you will certainly get answers from us!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Yve said:

Hi...

Yve, I am sorry that you are
    Yve, I am sorry that you are facing this. I can't think of how I could help, other than to tell you I want to give you whatever support I can. One thought - I don't think that the doctors can say just what will be. There are just too many stories to refute that. If you like reading this type of thing, the book, "Peace, Love, and Healing" by Bernie Siegel is very good.
    Please write often and become friends here. We all try to understand and help each other as much as possible. Also, occasionally, we just help each other with a good laugh. All my best wishes to you, love Joyce
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Yve said:

Hi...

Welcome
    Hi Yve: Sorry to have to welcome you here because it means you too are fighting the beast. You have come to the right place, here you will meet some very great people who are also fighting this beast. We are here to help in anyway we can. You should contact the american cancer society because they offer financial assistance to people that need it. I think that breastcancer.org might be able to help also. Try your local acs first and they will be able to assist you. Hugs to you, Lili
  • Yve
    Options
    chenheart said:

Yve~ We envelope you with love and support, and are with you every step of your journey. Please do check with you local ACS office as regards financial aid...if they cannot provide it, they will at the very least know of some resources for you.

Please keep in touch with us~ we are a wonderful supportive group of mostly women, and a few teriffic men doing battle with the breast cancer beast, as well.

We are very sorry you found your way to the cancer discussion boards, NONE of us wanted to be touched by this disease. But, being that we have been, this site is the most compassionate, insightful place you can imagine. Feel free to post here anytime~ you will certainly get answers from us!

Hugs,
    Claudia

:)
    Thank you Claudia for your support!!! I can see you are all wonderful... just being here make me feel better... even if I don't have to say anything!!! Just being close!!!
    Big hugs!!!!
  • Yve
    Options
    chenheart said:

Hugs,
    Claudia

:)
    Thank you Claudia for your support!!! I can see you are all wonderful... just being here make me feel better... even if I don't have to say anything!!! Just being close!!!
    Big hugs!!!!
  • Yve
    Options

Yve, I am sorry that you are
    Yve, I am sorry that you are facing this. I can't think of how I could help, other than to tell you I want to give you whatever support I can. One thought - I don't think that the doctors can say just what will be. There are just too many stories to refute that. If you like reading this type of thing, the book, "Peace, Love, and Healing" by Bernie Siegel is very good.
    Please write often and become friends here. We all try to understand and help each other as much as possible. Also, occasionally, we just help each other with a good laugh. All my best wishes to you, love Joyce

Hi Joyce!
    Just answering you are helping me a lot!!!That's a good idea to read something that feed my soul once I cannot do anything!!! I'll be here as much as I can... and we are already friends....
    Love..
    Yve
  • Yve
    Options

Welcome
    Hi Yve: Sorry to have to welcome you here because it means you too are fighting the beast. You have come to the right place, here you will meet some very great people who are also fighting this beast. We are here to help in anyway we can. You should contact the american cancer society because they offer financial assistance to people that need it. I think that breastcancer.org might be able to help also. Try your local acs first and they will be able to assist you. Hugs to you, Lili

Lilill
    Thank you for the support... I will contact them as soon as possible. You are very sweet...
    Being here is the best think i did so far.... Love Yve
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Sweet base61ball,
    Everyone

Sweet base61ball,

Everyone here has shared some wonderful encouragement! They're a very caring group...always here for support. The very best this site has to offer, in my humble opinion.

My encouragement is for you to find your own, unique answers. I understand your pain and despair. And it's true...we all have our limits. Those times when it feels that if we can just eliminate ONE of the painful thorns in our sides, we would feel better. For you, that "elimination" item, clearly is turning to chemo right now. And I do not blame you at all for how you feel.

Go cry your eyes out friend. Roll round in the misery of it all for a spell. Let it all out. There is no shame in doing this. I think we've all been there, done that and more than once. It's important to do. When you're over it, make yourself a list. A list of things you need to do, in order of priority. Get in touch with some of the agencies that can help you and/or offer you advice re some of the pressing financial matters. Get the ball rolling. Line up a few counseling appointments, if you feel it would be helpful at all. But first, go cry.

Next ask yourself if you indeed really want to continue with chemotherapy? If your answer is no, there is nothing to be embarrassed about in that. If it is your true and honest answer to yourself, then consult with your medical team and go from there. Perhaps you have had enough already and your body is not going to tolerate anymore pharmaceutical insult. Anyone of us can reach that point in reality and beyond that point, it is not always wise to continue. These are things you need to discuss with your doctors, in detail. If you do not feel confident, after a consult with them on these issues, then by all means, consult another oncologist to see what he/she thinks. It is YOUR body and YOUR life and the choice is entirely your own. It absolutely MUST be.

There are alternatives which can help us all to feel better and to heal, during and after the ravages of surgery, chemo and radiation. Some choose these alternatives instead of the entirely medical approach. For others the "integrative" approach works best...that being medical, combined with other methods of treatment. You need to know what your choices are so that you can make the best decisions for yourself. Do not let anyone tell you that you MUST have this or that treatment. That is not how all this is supposed to work. And you are right...sometimes the cancer returns no matter what we do or don't do. That's a fact. Then there are those who refuse all treatment and live a normal lifespan anyway. Go figure. This is what I call the "****" of dealing with cancer. Everything is percentages, numbers games and guesstimates. No guarantees with any of it. We have to accept all the jibberish and find our place within all the numbers and get on with whatever we choose to do about treatment. For me, that entailed a better understanding of what I was getting into, at the outset. Lots of research. Pouring over my path report, numerous discussions with doctors and 3 different 2nd opinions. I think the single most important thing we can do is to feel good about our choices. To have the belief that what we choose is right for our particular circumstances. Beyond that, maintain a flexible attitude, just in case we find that our bodies won't tolerate anymore tx and/or just in case we become sick with something else and have to postpone tx for a bit. Many scenario's can come into play.

I did not have Taxotere and cannot share any encouraging experiences with you about that particular chemo. I can share that my cancer was 7 years ago. Surgery, chemo and radiation. Her/2neu positive, 3+. I did ok with the chemo. The radiation was quite a breeze for me and I was so gratefulf for that. Still am. I'm doing well today and my oncology check ups and mammo's are are all continuing to be good. I did develop some heart issues from the Adriamycin, but that is being treated and I'm carrying on and have actually improved a bit over the past 4 months. During my treatment, I stayed away from negative people, took excellent care of my diet, took my supplements, did my Yoga and meditated regularly. Still, there were days when it was easy to cry and pull up the covers. Other days I gardened in pots (a new experience), I walked, rode my bike when I felt like it...even if it was just a mile or so and back home. I rested when my body told me to. When I had doubts, I dealt with them, head on. Getting through our cancer experiences is a full time job. No denying that! If we had only our cancer to deal with, that would be more than enough!

You have quite a few other issues pressing upon you at the worst possible time, in addition to chemo and it seems to me that you may benefit if you just take a break, step back and have yourself a huge ballyhoo...and yes, even go ahead and throw a little pity party while you're about it. When the air clears, get back into the game and start working on the issues which need addressing, one by one. Unfortunately, life doesn't always afford us the courtesy of one crisis/misery at a time. Sometimes, we get blasted from several fronts at once. Unfair? Yes. Cruel? Yes. But the good news is that you CAN do this. You can find your way through all of this with an organized approach. So, let someone else's needs wait, if necessary. This is a time in your life when you must give all your energies and resources to yourself. You can begin to help others and care for them in your special way, once you are feeling better. If they cannot wait, then they must go on their merry way in life. It's all ok. You must realizse that you are worth your efforts in regaining your balance and your health.

So, whatever you feel that you need to do, I support you. If you stop treatment, I support that. If you continue, I support that. If you change treatment methods, I support that. If you change doctors, I support that. DO keep coming here for support and understanding, whatever you decide to do. There are many ears here to listen and many voices to speak to your heart, from their hearts. Continuing treatment is not a requisite for participating here in the least. And, as with everything in life, take what you need and leave the rest. Your time to give back will come and one day, I'm confident, you will be at your keyboard, helping another of our sisters/brothers over a hump that seems to them, insurmountable. Doubts may come and go, but those who care and truly understand, are hard to find.

Big Warm Hugs to you, as you find your way through this day, through tomorrow and through the next day. Please let us know how things are going. You are now in our fold and we care...

Love, light & laughter,
    Ink
  • base61ball
    Options
    inkblot said:

Sweet base61ball,
    Everyone

Sweet base61ball,

Everyone here has shared some wonderful encouragement! They're a very caring group...always here for support. The very best this site has to offer, in my humble opinion.

My encouragement is for you to find your own, unique answers. I understand your pain and despair. And it's true...we all have our limits. Those times when it feels that if we can just eliminate ONE of the painful thorns in our sides, we would feel better. For you, that "elimination" item, clearly is turning to chemo right now. And I do not blame you at all for how you feel.

Go cry your eyes out friend. Roll round in the misery of it all for a spell. Let it all out. There is no shame in doing this. I think we've all been there, done that and more than once. It's important to do. When you're over it, make yourself a list. A list of things you need to do, in order of priority. Get in touch with some of the agencies that can help you and/or offer you advice re some of the pressing financial matters. Get the ball rolling. Line up a few counseling appointments, if you feel it would be helpful at all. But first, go cry.

Next ask yourself if you indeed really want to continue with chemotherapy? If your answer is no, there is nothing to be embarrassed about in that. If it is your true and honest answer to yourself, then consult with your medical team and go from there. Perhaps you have had enough already and your body is not going to tolerate anymore pharmaceutical insult. Anyone of us can reach that point in reality and beyond that point, it is not always wise to continue. These are things you need to discuss with your doctors, in detail. If you do not feel confident, after a consult with them on these issues, then by all means, consult another oncologist to see what he/she thinks. It is YOUR body and YOUR life and the choice is entirely your own. It absolutely MUST be.

There are alternatives which can help us all to feel better and to heal, during and after the ravages of surgery, chemo and radiation. Some choose these alternatives instead of the entirely medical approach. For others the "integrative" approach works best...that being medical, combined with other methods of treatment. You need to know what your choices are so that you can make the best decisions for yourself. Do not let anyone tell you that you MUST have this or that treatment. That is not how all this is supposed to work. And you are right...sometimes the cancer returns no matter what we do or don't do. That's a fact. Then there are those who refuse all treatment and live a normal lifespan anyway. Go figure. This is what I call the "****" of dealing with cancer. Everything is percentages, numbers games and guesstimates. No guarantees with any of it. We have to accept all the jibberish and find our place within all the numbers and get on with whatever we choose to do about treatment. For me, that entailed a better understanding of what I was getting into, at the outset. Lots of research. Pouring over my path report, numerous discussions with doctors and 3 different 2nd opinions. I think the single most important thing we can do is to feel good about our choices. To have the belief that what we choose is right for our particular circumstances. Beyond that, maintain a flexible attitude, just in case we find that our bodies won't tolerate anymore tx and/or just in case we become sick with something else and have to postpone tx for a bit. Many scenario's can come into play.

I did not have Taxotere and cannot share any encouraging experiences with you about that particular chemo. I can share that my cancer was 7 years ago. Surgery, chemo and radiation. Her/2neu positive, 3+. I did ok with the chemo. The radiation was quite a breeze for me and I was so gratefulf for that. Still am. I'm doing well today and my oncology check ups and mammo's are are all continuing to be good. I did develop some heart issues from the Adriamycin, but that is being treated and I'm carrying on and have actually improved a bit over the past 4 months. During my treatment, I stayed away from negative people, took excellent care of my diet, took my supplements, did my Yoga and meditated regularly. Still, there were days when it was easy to cry and pull up the covers. Other days I gardened in pots (a new experience), I walked, rode my bike when I felt like it...even if it was just a mile or so and back home. I rested when my body told me to. When I had doubts, I dealt with them, head on. Getting through our cancer experiences is a full time job. No denying that! If we had only our cancer to deal with, that would be more than enough!

You have quite a few other issues pressing upon you at the worst possible time, in addition to chemo and it seems to me that you may benefit if you just take a break, step back and have yourself a huge ballyhoo...and yes, even go ahead and throw a little pity party while you're about it. When the air clears, get back into the game and start working on the issues which need addressing, one by one. Unfortunately, life doesn't always afford us the courtesy of one crisis/misery at a time. Sometimes, we get blasted from several fronts at once. Unfair? Yes. Cruel? Yes. But the good news is that you CAN do this. You can find your way through all of this with an organized approach. So, let someone else's needs wait, if necessary. This is a time in your life when you must give all your energies and resources to yourself. You can begin to help others and care for them in your special way, once you are feeling better. If they cannot wait, then they must go on their merry way in life. It's all ok. You must realizse that you are worth your efforts in regaining your balance and your health.

So, whatever you feel that you need to do, I support you. If you stop treatment, I support that. If you continue, I support that. If you change treatment methods, I support that. If you change doctors, I support that. DO keep coming here for support and understanding, whatever you decide to do. There are many ears here to listen and many voices to speak to your heart, from their hearts. Continuing treatment is not a requisite for participating here in the least. And, as with everything in life, take what you need and leave the rest. Your time to give back will come and one day, I'm confident, you will be at your keyboard, helping another of our sisters/brothers over a hump that seems to them, insurmountable. Doubts may come and go, but those who care and truly understand, are hard to find.

Big Warm Hugs to you, as you find your way through this day, through tomorrow and through the next day. Please let us know how things are going. You are now in our fold and we care...

Love, light & laughter,
    Ink

Support
    Your post meant a lot - thank you. Felt much better after reading it. don't know what I would do without this site. Bless you