Lymph nodes

Options
catman
catman Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have been NED for just over 2 years. I was diagnosed in April 06 (age 46) with stage III colon cancer. 13 out of 26 lymph nodes were positive. All my test since have been clear, the last test was in May and next test is in Nov. I feel great and back to normal except for the worry that this might come back. My goal is to out last my American Express card. It expires in April 2011. My doc says 5 years is the magic number. I would love to hear some success stories from other stage III, 50% positive lymph survivors. Any out there? Thanks!

Comments

• Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I was also 46 when diagnosed
    I was also 46 when diagnosed with stage 3 rectal--2 out of 12 nodes were positive. The first couple of years were tough. I had 3 surgeries and 11 hospitalizations. The fear of the cancer coming back has lessened alot. I am now 5 years out and I when I look back I can't believe how far I have come. Hang in there. It sounds like you are doing well also. Before you know it you will be at 5 years too. Congrats on your 2 years NED.

Maureen
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    2 yrs is important
    Five years is a magic number. But, I understand that 2 years is also a very special number -- the odds (statistically) of a recurrence drop DRAMATICALLY after 2 years. I know many of us on this board don't like to look at statistics -- but I can't help throwing them around when they are good! Congratulations on being NED for over 2 years. Best of luck for that next test in November. Roll on 5 years! You are doing great.

Tara
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    American Express
    You're so funny!
    You should probably try to keep your card paid off and not count on leaving this earth with lots of debt. What if the cancer doesn't come back and then you go bankrupt? That would be a real pain. I'm really hoping that I will die from something else. The way I drive I could be run over by a truck tomorrow.
    My cancer was stage iv and I had 10 out of 36 lymph nodes involeved, plus liver mets. I have been NED for 3 years and expect to stay that way. My husband has had 2 different cancers and he too plans to outlast your credit card. Hope we can stop looking back and get on with our new normal. It is really easier said than done, but I'm excited about tomorrow. If I have to deal with major health issues again, I will, but not until I have to.
    Scarlet
  • mk1117
    mk1117 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    taraHK said:

2 yrs is important
    Five years is a magic number. But, I understand that 2 years is also a very special number -- the odds (statistically) of a recurrence drop DRAMATICALLY after 2 years. I know many of us on this board don't like to look at statistics -- but I can't help throwing them around when they are good! Congratulations on being NED for over 2 years. Best of luck for that next test in November. Roll on 5 years! You are doing great.

Tara

I agree with the 2 year comment
    I was diagnosed at age 44 with stage 3 colon cancer - 13 of 17 positive lymph nodes. Once I reached the 2 year mark, my oncologist also said that the chance of reoccurence goes down dramatically. I don't have to have CT scans at my 6 month check-ups anymore, just blood work. I'm going on 4 years with no issues. Wishing the same for everyone here!