Another Still NED - but with fatty liver??

Options
ldot123
ldot123 Member Posts: 272
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi gang,

Well I was at the oncologist and xray, ultrasound and bloodwork indicate that I am still NED. Definitely naked happey dance time. I am looking forward to a holiday with my family. The one thing my onc said that the ultrasound indicated what he described as a possible "fatty liver" Apparently this had shown up on the previous ultraound from a year ago and that there was no change in the size of the area in question so was pretty confident that this was not cancer. In 4 months I go for a cat scan to further check this out then if all is OK I start going to see him every 6 months. Has anyone else out there had a similar comment about their liver? There always seems to be something, but I will not let that get me down. I am celebrating!! Next step for me is to get back in the excercise program in a serious way. I lost weight during the chemo and wished that I could have stayed there. I was so tired all the time, I ate to get more energy - what can I say - I overcompensated. Wayyyyy to much additional poundage..

Peace and love to all, Lance

Comments

• msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Way too much poundage
    Lance, don't be too hard on yourself about the weight gain! You probably took steroids while you were on treatment as well, and the up and down of eating, not eating doesn't help the body's metabolism very much. I laugh often about how much of a determined eater i am... i had actually gotten down so thin after my last bout with a recurrence that my children cringed to see me when they had to bathe me... you could see my spine and count my ribs and i was wearing clothing my very skinny daughter had worn (and since grown out of) in high school. However, i understood that no matter how bad food tasted while i was on treatment, my body needed nutrition, so I ate (or drank nutrition drinks if i couldn't stand to eat). It definitely made for relatively more pleasant days. Now that I am off chemo, my body's metabolism is in such an uproar that eating 1500 calories a day manages to still put weight on me. I am the largest i could ever imagine being, but I am still here. Some days I wish I could get the extra weight off, and slowly but surely I am able to add more exercise to my day. However, I try to remind myself of the many things that are so much more important than my size; i know my children and siblings are glad to have me here no matter what size; and i also know that they don't see my size; they see what's inside and that's enough for me! And look around you at the oncs office next time ... you will notice that we tend to either lose too much weight because we can't eat, or we gain it from steroids and other effects ... there aren't many of us that sit in between. That's ok! We are all fighting the same beast, and we are winning! Take care and continue the fight! Mary