Femara side effects

Options
Minina
Minina Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a two time breast cancer survivor and after 5 years on Tamoxifen my oncologist switched me to Femara. I could only take it for more than a year since I started getting horrible bone/joint pain. Has anyone experienced these symptoms? I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks. God Bless.

Comments

• geetee
    geetee Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Femara side effecta
    I too have been on femara for a year. And am experiencing joint and bone pain. I am also taking Boniva, because my dexa scans have been showing slight osteoperosis. I am hoping that this joint pain will ease up soon.
  • Texylin
    Texylin Member Posts: 43
    Options
    geetee said:

Femara side effecta
    I too have been on femara for a year. And am experiencing joint and bone pain. I am also taking Boniva, because my dexa scans have been showing slight osteoperosis. I am hoping that this joint pain will ease up soon.

Femara
    My BC came back after 4 yrs on Tomoxifen in the form of a pluaral effusion. After chemo I was also put on femara. I have been on it for a year now, and am in pain all the time. Every bone in my feet, ankles, hands, shoulders hurt. My muscles hurt also. I feel okay when sitting down but getting up, I feel at least 80. After being on my feet a while, I don't seem to hurt as bad, but it comes back after sitting. Lately, the soles of my feet have really started bothering me. The only good thing I can say about it, is the fact that my cancer hasn't come back yet. I take 6 to 8 vicodan every day which doesn't help too much and I hate having to take it. I wish you luck on your new meds. I go in tomorrow for my 4 month check up and am praying everything is still ok.

Linda
  • Minina
    Minina Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Texylin said:

Femara
    My BC came back after 4 yrs on Tomoxifen in the form of a pluaral effusion. After chemo I was also put on femara. I have been on it for a year now, and am in pain all the time. Every bone in my feet, ankles, hands, shoulders hurt. My muscles hurt also. I feel okay when sitting down but getting up, I feel at least 80. After being on my feet a while, I don't seem to hurt as bad, but it comes back after sitting. Lately, the soles of my feet have really started bothering me. The only good thing I can say about it, is the fact that my cancer hasn't come back yet. I take 6 to 8 vicodan every day which doesn't help too much and I hate having to take it. I wish you luck on your new meds. I go in tomorrow for my 4 month check up and am praying everything is still ok.

Linda

Femara
    Hi! Hope you are doing better and good look with your 4 mo check up tomorrow. I did not take that much Vicodin, but I was on Tylenol extra strenght very often and did not help much. I know what it is like to not being able to walk or feeling your feet "burn" and hurting every time I took a step. Even getting up from a chair at the office was very difficult. I just had to stop the Femara after a while. My doctor told me it was not worth it feeling miserable all the time and not enjoying life. I go to the hospital tomorrow for hand surgery. I wonder if my problems are not related to Femara??? Who knows. Take care and God Bless.
  • Texylin
    Texylin Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Minina said:

Femara
    Hi! Hope you are doing better and good look with your 4 mo check up tomorrow. I did not take that much Vicodin, but I was on Tylenol extra strenght very often and did not help much. I know what it is like to not being able to walk or feeling your feet "burn" and hurting every time I took a step. Even getting up from a chair at the office was very difficult. I just had to stop the Femara after a while. My doctor told me it was not worth it feeling miserable all the time and not enjoying life. I go to the hospital tomorrow for hand surgery. I wonder if my problems are not related to Femara??? Who knows. Take care and God Bless.

Femara
    If you look up femara online and go to patient input, you will find page after page of patients and all the side effects. One of them is "claw hand". It is definitly from the femara. I had some problems with fingers at first, but that went away mostly. But I do still have a lot of pain in fingers.
  • artifact hunter
    artifact hunter Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Texylin said:

Femara
    If you look up femara online and go to patient input, you will find page after page of patients and all the side effects. One of them is "claw hand". It is definitly from the femara. I had some problems with fingers at first, but that went away mostly. But I do still have a lot of pain in fingers.

femara
    I've been on Femara for not quite two months. I have more and more intense hot flashes. But in live in a state that is cool in summer and cold in winter - I think I'll welcome the flashes this winter. My body discomfort is more muscular than joints, except for my knees. However, I find that when I stick to a routine of slow stretching and movement, I'm fine. It's all worth it to me, if it's going to prevent reoccurence of ca.
  • mihaela
    mihaela Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Coping with Femara side effects
    I have had problems with the side effects Femara has, but I discovered a strong connection with my mood. If I am depressed (only because of my work, and not my condition), the side effects are not at all a problem. I go to the gym twice a week, I don't eat meat, I have a well balanced diet and I try to think optimisticly. All I know is that Femara is good for preventing breast cancer reccurence.