implant

Options
kit45
kit45 Member Posts: 89
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had immediate reconstruction and have an expander. Now its nearing time to make a decision on which implant - saline or silicone. Thought I'd ask for any experience or input?
Thanks, Kit

Comments

• Survivor91807
    Survivor91807 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    implant
    Hello Kit,
    I had my reconstruction done in February so I understand how you feel. I struggled for a while,but my Dr let me know how safe the silicone is now. I know someone with the saline she said they feel a lot similar to the expander. I didn't like the hardness so I went with the silicone. I absolutely love them! A much more natural feel.
    Hope it helps,Survivor
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options

implant
    Hello Kit,
    I had my reconstruction done in February so I understand how you feel. I struggled for a while,but my Dr let me know how safe the silicone is now. I know someone with the saline she said they feel a lot similar to the expander. I didn't like the hardness so I went with the silicone. I absolutely love them! A much more natural feel.
    Hope it helps,Survivor

How much of an ordeal was
    How much of an ordeal was the whole thing, Survivor? I am looking at reconstruction after rads with implant. Doc told me that the healing was longer than for mas. because something new was being put IN to the body. Was it painful when expanded? Did you have to wear loose clothing to hide all the "construction"? I used to look forward to getting a new figure, now I find myself dreading it and glad to hear that you are happy. Thanks for writing. love, Joyce
  • Survivor91807
    Survivor91807 Member Posts: 5
    Options

How much of an ordeal was
    How much of an ordeal was the whole thing, Survivor? I am looking at reconstruction after rads with implant. Doc told me that the healing was longer than for mas. because something new was being put IN to the body. Was it painful when expanded? Did you have to wear loose clothing to hide all the "construction"? I used to look forward to getting a new figure, now I find myself dreading it and glad to hear that you are happy. Thanks for writing. love, Joyce

The ordeal
    I'ts not really THAT big an ordeal.You are sore for a few weeks, but not as painful as the mas. At the time it may seem so but when I look back it wasn't that bad. The one mistake I made was I was trying to rush the expantion process by getting expanded to much at one time. When you do that yes it hurts but if you take in a little saline at a time not bad. As far as loose clothes no I didn't try to hide anything because I wasn't bothered by the looks. I went down almost 3 cup sizes so how could I hide that. Just take things slow I feel you will be happy after it's all over.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options

The ordeal
    I'ts not really THAT big an ordeal.You are sore for a few weeks, but not as painful as the mas. At the time it may seem so but when I look back it wasn't that bad. The one mistake I made was I was trying to rush the expantion process by getting expanded to much at one time. When you do that yes it hurts but if you take in a little saline at a time not bad. As far as loose clothes no I didn't try to hide anything because I wasn't bothered by the looks. I went down almost 3 cup sizes so how could I hide that. Just take things slow I feel you will be happy after it's all over.

Thanks for the reply,
    Thanks for the reply, Survivor. I can read about the procedure in pamphlets, but till I hear from someone on the board - I just don't trust anything! You have encouraged me, and I will not dread it as much. love, Joyce
  • kit45
    kit45 Member Posts: 89
    Options

Thanks for the reply,
    Thanks for the reply, Survivor. I can read about the procedure in pamphlets, but till I hear from someone on the board - I just don't trust anything! You have encouraged me, and I will not dread it as much. love, Joyce

implant
    I had expander placed after mastectomy in June. Have been going to weekly saline "fills" at plastic surgeon. Two more fills to go but now I have to decide on saline or silicone implant.
    Thanks for the info survivor. I read silicone is safe and feels more natural. I am researching alot to help in my decision.
  • FHL45
    FHL45 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Implants
    I decided on silicone. When I had the expanders in, my breasts got rock hard. My Surgeon told me that the hardness would probably happen again with saline implants and we decided on silicone. He said that the silicone has been proven to be safe, and give a more natural look. I have to say I am quite satisfied with these implants and it feels like a weight has been lifted off my chest.