Radiation treatments!!!!

Options
babebussie
babebussie Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well this time is nearing for me to begin radiation for 6 weeks, m-f. Oh my god!!!! Overwhelming sensation approaches me yet again. I went today for my care plan and markers were placed where they would target. They said they will be calling me in about a week to get me started on the treatments. What will this be like? Does it hurt? How long will each session last? Will it burn my skin, make me sick, what the hell is gonna happen to me in this room. I'm starting to freak out again sisters!!!! I need some words of comfort, AGAIN!!!

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    radiation treatment
    new

Hello there, I have had 16 weeks of radiation treatments six weeks one time and ten weeks another time. It was scary at first, then it just became time consuming. It may burn, i know I did. There are several creams they can give you and there is a gel shield you keep in the frig that they can give you as well. As the treatments go by you will probably become more tired than is usual so be kind to yourself and rest when you need to. For me it seemed like the prep and getting me set on the table took far longer than the actual rads took. Keep your chin up and these six weeks will pass quickly and you can get back to your old self. Hugs to you!

RE
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Radiation
    Hey, Babe. Not to worry. 7 weeks ago I completed 33 radiation treatments (25 whole breast, 8 boosts). The entire treatment time each day including changing into a gown, positioning, treatment, and changing back into my street clothes took no longer than 10 - 15 minutes. The actual treatment itself gave me enough time to say the Lord's Prayer and pray for all my sisters and brothers who were receiving treatment. The first three weeks were a piece of cake. During the last three weeks, I started to develop two burns - one under my breast and one at the crook of my armpit. My nurses gave me Biafine, aquaphor (over the counter), domborough soaks (which were great) and special dressings for the burns when I needed them. Healing is quick. They do everything to make you comfortable. Don't dread it. That bright ray of light is helping to rid you of ugly cancer cells. Hang in there. Life is good!!!! Hugs, Marilynn
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    What Marilyn said was true
    What Marilyn said was true for me too. This is a treatment that doesn't hurt, involves no needles (after the tats, which are kinda cool). Only downside is the burn. Upsides are 1)C killing rays going deep where the little creeps may be hiding 2)If you are lucky you will meet a nice person doing the same time slot that you can say hi and cheerful things to each other everyday 3)If you are REALLY lucky your radiation nurses will be cuties (mine were)and they will treat you with respect and tenderness. All in all, radiation gets an A from me. I wish you all the best! love, Joyce
  • babebussie
    Options
    Thanks Friends!!!
    I dont know what i'd do if i didnt have you ladies to turn too. I feel better now about starting my rads when they call me and say it's time. Now i dont feel like i dont know nothing and i hope i meet some nice cuties too, hell it'll make time spent there worth it in more ways than one.

Thanks again for being my rock, all of you!!!!!
    Luv,
    Babe
  • Nenda2
    Nenda2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Radiation a Piece of Cake
    Hey Babe compared to chemo this is a walk in the park. If you have made it thru that and then this is all down hill. One thing my radiation doctor prescribes and I love her for it, is pure Aloe. Girlfriend, let me tell you it works to help make the burn less and you feel so much more comfortable. You find it in the health food stores or just about anywhere just make sure that it is the pure Aloe and not a synthetic.

Smooth it on before you go to bed and after your shower in the morning and your skin will feel wonderful! I finished radiation in December and had no real discomfort, a little peeling and a little discoloration and I am sure it is all due to the Aloe.

Good luck and keep your head up girlfriend, remember you ain't in this by yourself!

Positive thinking required at all times!!!!
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Nenda2 said:

Radiation a Piece of Cake
    Hey Babe compared to chemo this is a walk in the park. If you have made it thru that and then this is all down hill. One thing my radiation doctor prescribes and I love her for it, is pure Aloe. Girlfriend, let me tell you it works to help make the burn less and you feel so much more comfortable. You find it in the health food stores or just about anywhere just make sure that it is the pure Aloe and not a synthetic.

Smooth it on before you go to bed and after your shower in the morning and your skin will feel wonderful! I finished radiation in December and had no real discomfort, a little peeling and a little discoloration and I am sure it is all due to the Aloe.

Good luck and keep your head up girlfriend, remember you ain't in this by yourself!

Positive thinking required at all times!!!!

Aloe
    Haven't started rads yet, still doing chemo. But I know with aloe used for small burns, you can put it in the fridge and it should feel better, especially this time of year!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Oh yeah~ Rads was a walk in
    Oh yeah~ Rads was a walk in the park compared to chemo! No worries, sweet sister!!! Getting undressed for the procedure takes longer than getting the rads! I f you can arrange to have one of the first appointments of the day~ the rest of your day will be open to you!!!

Yes, know that your skin will get tender, and you need by all means to treat the radiated side with kid gloves, as it were! I got a natural sea sponge, and Aveeno body wash; it is important to stay away from anything with dyes or perfumes as they can be mega-irritating.
    Saturate the sponge with water, add the Aveeno and squeeze it over you in the shower...never ever rub your skin! As often as you can, wear big t-shirts, no bra, and goop Aquaphor ointment on your skin. You may get itchy~ if so ask your Dr for a prescription for cortisone creme, the OTC stuff will not be strong enough.

Aside from that, you will breeze through this! I say I got the ever coveted nipple and underarm tan~ whoo hoo! Who wouldn't want that???

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    Options
    Radiation Treatments!!!
    Hey Babe, I had 36 treatments, M-F. In and out fast. I never waited longer than 10 minutes to get in. The initial appointment took longer because they needed to get all the marks aligned.The whole process of radiation took maybe ten minutes. My biggest thing was the fatigue halway through. I was already tired from too many other things in my life and this just made it tougher for me. But I ended up with a slight surface burn that they gave me Aquaphor for...I ended up using aloe. And I have that half a chest tan thing going on still. I'm a couple months down the road and I'm still tender there but all and all it was not a terrible experience. Ask questions, get lots of rest, drink lots of water to flush things out and you'll be fine. Hugs, Cindy
  • fightingmommy
    fightingmommy Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Cindy54 said:

Radiation Treatments!!!
    Hey Babe, I had 36 treatments, M-F. In and out fast. I never waited longer than 10 minutes to get in. The initial appointment took longer because they needed to get all the marks aligned.The whole process of radiation took maybe ten minutes. My biggest thing was the fatigue halway through. I was already tired from too many other things in my life and this just made it tougher for me. But I ended up with a slight surface burn that they gave me Aquaphor for...I ended up using aloe. And I have that half a chest tan thing going on still. I'm a couple months down the road and I'm still tender there but all and all it was not a terrible experience. Ask questions, get lots of rest, drink lots of water to flush things out and you'll be fine. Hugs, Cindy

JUst started rads today
    I just started rads today and will have them for 7 weeks. I was really nervous today but after it was all over which took about 20 mins I was relieved. It was not as bad as I thought and the staff are great. They told me to let them know about any dicomfort at anytime day or night. You and I have been through the hard part this is going to be a breeze. I hope ti kilss allthose little cancer dudes because this is my second time with breast cancer in 2 years. Hugs to you my sister.
  • babebussie
    Options

JUst started rads today
    I just started rads today and will have them for 7 weeks. I was really nervous today but after it was all over which took about 20 mins I was relieved. It was not as bad as I thought and the staff are great. They told me to let them know about any dicomfort at anytime day or night. You and I have been through the hard part this is going to be a breeze. I hope ti kilss allthose little cancer dudes because this is my second time with breast cancer in 2 years. Hugs to you my sister.

Oh hun!
    I'm sorry you have to fight this beast again. It's bad enough to have to go thru it once, but twice. All that chemo again and rads much be very hard on you on top of being emotional for your family to have yet another fear about mommie. Well girl all i can say is stay positive and stay strong, know that god is always gonna be the leader of this fight and all you have to do is let him control it. I start my rads tomorrow. I don't know if i feel scared or not. I'm just gonna go with the flow and let my leader lead me thru.

God bless you and everyone else that is in this circle.

Babe
  • drsbee33
    drsbee33 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Cindy54 said:

Radiation Treatments!!!

Radiation treatments
    Your description of the Radiation treatments are 'right on'. Though my treatments were over last week (twice a day for 5 days)- it has left me with lower energy- but feeling better with each day.

I agree on every point you made, especially drinking lots of liquid.
    Hugs,
    drsbee33
  • artifact hunter
    Options
    radiation
    Hey Babe:

Slow down your mind girl, it's going to get you anxiety-ridden. The first rad appointment was most upsetting for me, feeling like a splayed turkey on Thanksgiving with my breasts falling up under my armpits - Jiminy! I cried a few times due to humiliation, but really receiving radiation is painless. Oh, very tiny little sensations that were interesting not painful. I used Aloe Gel from the first after each treatment, spread it on my breasts and underneath and armpit. I did still burn but the rad doc keeps an eye on your skin and as soon as mine saw it was getting too fried, he switched the focus of the ray to be more concentrated, which eased my entire breast. They gave me a white cream which was an antibacterial and burn cream. If you get open burns, DO NOT use the Aloe gel - it burns like hell and didn't help my situation. But the cream the doc gave me did. And keep the area very clean at all times.

Best to you, Dear, you'll be just fine. I had only a little fatigue toward the end. The six.5 weeks went fast and had lots of good times in the waiting room socializing with the other patients. In fact, we missed each other when one was finished.
  • jannyfran
    jannyfran Member Posts: 33
    Options
    radiation
    hi there babe......

just wanted to see how you were doing and how the radiation is going. it's been awhile since i've been on here and i was reading you comment and today was my very first appointment for the markers to be set so i know how you were feeling.

how's everything going for you now?

my prayers and blessings to you,

jannyfran

we're all in this together....unfortunetly, but at least we have somewhere to vent!!!!!!
  • babebussie
    Options
    jannyfran said:

radiation
    hi there babe......

just wanted to see how you were doing and how the radiation is going. it's been awhile since i've been on here and i was reading you comment and today was my very first appointment for the markers to be set so i know how you were feeling.

how's everything going for you now?

my prayers and blessings to you,

jannyfran

we're all in this together....unfortunetly, but at least we have somewhere to vent!!!!!!

Radiation treatments!!!
    Hey Jannyfran, it's been a long time since i've been on and just today read up on your post you had left me. The rads are going good thus far. I was all worked up for nothing. I lay on the darn table still for less than 10 mins and it's over. I'm up and on my way to work. I've done like 11 treatments already with about 4 1/2 weeks to go still. I have the cream for burning should that start. My dr.gave me my script for tamoxifen the other day. Havent started it yet but i will be soon.
    I hope your doing good. Let me know and thanks for checking in on me.

Hugs,
    Babe
  • jannyfran
    jannyfran Member Posts: 33
    Options

Radiation treatments!!!
    Hey Jannyfran, it's been a long time since i've been on and just today read up on your post you had left me. The rads are going good thus far. I was all worked up for nothing. I lay on the darn table still for less than 10 mins and it's over. I'm up and on my way to work. I've done like 11 treatments already with about 4 1/2 weeks to go still. I have the cream for burning should that start. My dr.gave me my script for tamoxifen the other day. Havent started it yet but i will be soon.
    I hope your doing good. Let me know and thanks for checking in on me.

Hugs,
    Babe

radiation treatment
    Hiya Babe, thank you for getting back to me. I have to agree that the radiation itself is no big deal. My dr said to use 100% aloe vera gel on my breast after treatment to see if that will help the burning should it happen. Babe, I have a question for you if you don't mind. Did you get any pain in the area they did the radiation? Like today was only my second treatment with 6 1/2 more weeks to go, and like tonight I'm feeling pain in my breast area, down my arm and even around my collar bone. It's not like it's a horrible pain, but it hurts. I wonder if you or anyone else has gone through it. Now, Babe, you don't start that pill until you're finished with radiation, right?

Well when you get a moment, I would love to hear from you again.

Hugs, prayers and blessings to you,

Janny