oxaliplatin a second time?

Options
cjf2006
cjf2006 Member Posts: 83
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My onc feeels my best shot at getting my cancer back under control is to go back on oxaliplatin, even though I still have neuropathy from it. She said I would get a lower dosage than before and she would stop if the neuropathy got worse. Has anyone else with neuropathy gone back on it? What happened?

Tomorrow I have a second opinion consultation with a GI onc at Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville. It's the nearest major cancer center to me.

Comments

• usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hello ~ My onc is formulating a new chemo for me for my new cancer. He mentioned that Oxaliplatin was indicated, but he would not use it a second time for two reasons...one is the impact of the neuropathy and two that it may not be as effective the second time around. He is switching it up to cisplatin, but my second cancer is not CRC, so that could make a difference.

I think you're smart to get that second opinion.

Good luck!
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    I had oxaliplatin a second time. I had neuropathy first time round but the neuropathy had totally gone before I started again (about 1 yr later). Somewhat to my surprise, second time round (Folfox plus Avastin) was actually better than first time -- at least in terms of my white blood count (which is always the main problem for me). I had neuropathy again. My impression is that it was better (! strange) and has now totally gone again. I appreciate that we are all different. Best of luck with your decision making and your journey. Tara