Question about cea

Options
betina61
betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Today I was given results of my cea test plus the full "chemistry",the message was that everything was normal,and that my cea reading was 0.9 I inmediately called the Dr. assistant to ask her if it was fine even though that my last 2 ceas that I can remember during the last 12 months both were 0.5 I told her to talk with the dr. again to give reasons for that little increase,if he could,she has not call me yet,but she insisted that it was normal, I don't know why this bad thoughts come to my mind, does anyone have been like this with fluctuations within the normal range? today I had a pet-scan but results will not be until Friday or even Monday.

Comments

• ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Hi, That is a very good CEA reading I believe. Anything below 4 is pretty normal. So far mine has fluctuated a bit too and is actually over 1 and the onc has no concerns. Hope this helps. Lance
  • doris2657
    doris2657 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    MY CEA WAS 1.1 AFTER MY SURGERY NOW IT IS 2.0,MY ONC TOLD ME ANYTHING UNDER 3 IS NORMAL
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Mine was 7.7 before surgery and fluctuates between 2.5 and 3.2 and has for 2 years and after 3 clean scans. My doctor said for me this is normal - no concerns. At mass general here in Boston anything below 3.7 is considered normal - unless you smoke then it can be higher. It is not an exact indicator and works better for some people than others. .91 is pretty much a no brainer - I am told. Hope you scans are perfect.

Pam
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Be happy!! I would be dancing in the street if my CEA was that low. It has been hanging in around 21 after going up to 34 and I am happy that it went down. It has never been below 6. It was huge before chemo and surgery...like in the 800's. I forgot what stage you are...I have been told that even people with no cancer carry cancer cells in their body. I hope that your scans are good and that everything continues to be great for you.
    Linda
  • shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Awww, Betina I know how nerve wracking that must be! Maybe you can get your results from the CT/PET scan sooner. So long as nothing shows up on the CT I would not worry about the CEA.
    I would be freaking out too though, that is just the way I operate. Why don't you call back and find out about your scan. There is no reason you should have to wait until Friday or Monday to get the results. The radiologist will probably read them the day you had the scan, or the next day at the latest. At least that is how it works here.
    Best wishes to you!
    Susan H.
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think that sounds like a great reading! I don't think I would worry about that. What you really need is to get the pet scan results so you can relax. I am with Susan, call and see if you can get them on Friday if at all possible. That waiting is sooooo hard! I think you will see that everything is going to be fine. Keep believing!

Faith
  • cjf2006
    cjf2006 Member Posts: 83
    Options
    apache4 said:

Be happy!! I would be dancing in the street if my CEA was that low. It has been hanging in around 21 after going up to 34 and I am happy that it went down. It has never been below 6. It was huge before chemo and surgery...like in the 800's. I forgot what stage you are...I have been told that even people with no cancer carry cancer cells in their body. I hope that your scans are good and that everything continues to be great for you.
    Linda

I'd be rejoicing too! :-) Mine is 421 and climbing. Argh!