HER2 Positive

Options
Derbygirl
Derbygirl Member Posts: 198
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Surgeon told my husband following surgery last week that I'm HER2 positive (6% or something like that). Have a post-op visit with the surgeon on Friday to discuss further. Anyone have this problem? Any experience with Herceptin treatment?

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You can go to chemocare.com for info on Herceptin (and other drugs). Herceptin by itself generally has mild side effects (compared to other chemo treatments). I can contribute to chemo-induced menopause, depending on your age. Definitely talk to your Dr.

best wishes, seof
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I am her2+. At first it was scary, because it can be aggressive. But herceptin is considered a "miracle" drug. Since your cancer has this marker, you can use herceptin to attack it. I am actually glad that I have it and feel safer with the herceptin. It does not have any side effects that I can feel. There is the possibility of heart damage and your doc will probably ask you to get your heart checked three or four times during the year that you receive herceptin. It is kind of yechy having to go back to chemo (after you are done with the tough stuff) to get the infusions, but it is also kind of reassuring to continue treating your cancer. Please ask your doc, look it up on chemo care, and do any research that helps. Whoa, now that I look again at your post I see that you are only 6% positive. I am 97%. I do not even know how they treat a cancer that is not very high in her2. Good questions for your doc. This mail is kind of rambling, but I will leave what I have written and hope that it will begin to lead you to a source of better answers. Take care, love JOyce
  • jmears
    jmears Member Posts: 266
    Options
    I am HER2 Positive. I don't know the %. In 2000 when I got DX with stage 2 BC Herceptin was not available to early stage patients. In 2005 the cancer came back to my bones. Now I take Herceptin ... but I think if I had of had it back then I would not have gotten it back. I would say to take it if you can get it. Good luck. Jamie
  • vmccasland
    vmccasland Member Posts: 4
    Options
    HER2 Pos
    Two and a half years ago, I was told I was HER2 positive, but have no idea of a %. I had 2 rounds of chemo and then radiation. Herceptin was started during the second round of chemo and lasted a little more than 8 months, rather than the 12 I expected. At that point, the doctor noted some heart damage (oxygen was being used less efficiently) so he discontinued the Herceptin treatment. He explained there was no miracle time associated with receiving Herceptin, only that trials had been done on a 1 year basis, and that we were going to assume 8 months was plenty in my case. It's a couple years later and I appear to be fine. Personally, I believe Herceptin is a wonderful drug in our circumstances and we're lucky to have been diagnosed at the right time to receive it. Best of luck to you --
    Valerie
  • Dalan
    Dalan Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Her2 Positive +4
    I had a year of Herceptin and felt that this drug saved my life. Going every 3 weeks for a year was at first very daunting but with the port I didnt have the stress of getting stuck many times.
    I had my last treatment 2 years ago this month. I was very scared to go off the treatment. I felt as long as I was on it the cancer was kept at bay. We are very lucky to have this drug available because a few years ago no other treatment but surgery and "hard chemo" was our only option.
    It is horrible that there are women out there that are unable to take the drug because of insurance issues. Working as a medical biller/coder I see it all to often insurance companies mandating the care of the patient not the physician.
    So please further your care with the Herceptin. You will have MUGA scans every 3 months to check your heart to make sure it is behaving the way it should. Good luck to you and you are in my prayers. :-)
  • Jules564
    Jules564 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Her2+
    Hi Derbygirl...

I am Her2 positive too. I was diagnosed back in October 2007 and have been taking Herceptin since December last year. I go every 3 weeks and have not had any issues at all. I feel we are all blessed that we have this drug now. I joined Her2 Connection on line a few weeks ago and they send me updates via email. They also sent me a nice backpack...didn't know this was coming...with a lot of info on the drug. Stay strong and talk to you soon.
  • ggcs111
    ggcs111 Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Herceptin
    I am presently on Herceptin following a single right breast mastectomy and the herceptin was started in January of this year, is due to finish in November of 2008. I am feeling good right now. I do work a full-time job. I have a new husband who loves me even with only a single breast. I have said no to reconstruction because they said I was a stage 3 cancer, stage 4 you have very little time left. So, more cutting was not an option for me. I did recently have my thyroid taken out and that went fine. I am presently recuperating from that. Herceptin, if I don't take the benadryl, (they usually give you both the benadryl and tylenol before you get the Herceptin infusion) to help your body accept the Herceptin, I am fine. I don't take the benadryl so that I can function at work. It puts me to sleep.
    Good luck to you on your cancer treatment. Mine went well, up to now, Thank God.
  • eliz_bc15
    eliz_bc15 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I am currently undergoing
    I am currently undergoing chemotheraphy for HER2 positive breast cancer. I am now getting Taxol and Herceptin weekly. The Herceptin does not have many side effects but the Taxol does. Pre-medication is given before each treatment. Please ask the oncologist what to expect while on the treatment.
    I also need radiation to completely destroy all the cancer cells.

Good luck.