Does anyone seem to have depression

Options
hounddog
hounddog Member Posts: 115
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
As cancer survivors does any one seem to have depression or is it in my mind . And is being tired all the time in my mind also . I work at Wal_Mart as a people greeter and I'm tired all the time I take vitamins but still stay tired all the time and is it important to see a counselor for depression .
Marilyn

Comments

• Marilyn, the 'D' word is one we hear almost as often here as we do the 'C' word. Depression seems to be almost universal among cancer survivors as well as caregivers. So, NO, it is NOT all in your mind. Fatigue is also common on these discussion boards.
    So, what to do? Vitamins can't hurt, but taking good care of yourself and cutting yourself some slack in other areas of your life may be necessary also. As for getting professional help with depression, by all means give it a shot if your life is diminished to any degree by it. You don't have to keep it up forever if you decide you are ready to handle things on your own again.
    I have struggled with both of these 'aftereffects' for longer than I care to remember, but have been able to live a reasonably sane (some would question my claim :) existence without professional help, but that's just me. It is a very individual decision.
    Don't be a stranger here...we can help.
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    I was on meds for depression before my c diagnosis. I would have been nuts after diagnosis if not for zoloft and they also put me on xanax. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor for something to help you. They understand more than you think they do. If you think that you would benefit more with counseling then do that. But do something to help yourself before you get too down.

I am a 5 yr survivor and I have been tired for 5 yrs. I am beginning to think that it is something we will just have to learn to live with. As Zah said take a rest when you need it. A little afternoon nap can work wonders.

Let us know how you are doing
  • TereB
    TereB Member Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    After a cancer diagnosis, surgery, treatment, etc. it is no wonder many of us suffer from depression. It is a normal feeling and it is not in your mind. The fatigue is very real too and many times fatigue is a symptom of depression. It is okay to feel depressed, the trick is not to stay there. I was very depressed so I found a therapist that helped me deal with the whole thing. It really helped me and that is why I always recommend it.

Many oncology depts. have social workers experienced in treating cancer patients. Check with your oncologist. Sometimes a support group can help too.

Here are a few places where you can find more information:

Cancer Care, a non-profit org., offers free support and counseling for cancer patients by oncology social workers. They have face-to-face counseling and counceling on the phone. Support groups on the phone are available too and are moderated by an oncology social worker. Call 800-813-HOPE; check their website www.cancercare.org

Gilda's Club - www.gildasclub.org - they offer free social and emotional support.

Live Strong - www.livestrong.org - offers one-on-one support.

If you are not comfortable with a particular therapist, try another one and don't give up. I think that if you are feeling better emotionally, you heal faster.

All the best to you,
    TereB
  • kbc4869
    kbc4869 Member Posts: 159
    Options
    Hi Marilyn,

I could have posted your question a few weeks ago. Fatigue and -- apparently -- depression is something I'm quite familiar with. I finished TX in 2004, and have been struggling with severe fatigue ever since. Since last October, I have been to see several doctors about my lack of energy and always being tired. I wound up in an endocrinologist's office two weeks ago, and after looking at my blood work (which is normal), he asked me if I would mind trying antidepressants. I said sure. What did I have to lose? It's been two weeks now, and while I'm not the energizer bunny, I do feel better. And maybe I'll continue to improve as it takes a while for these things to fully kick in. I've even started exercising again. So, apparently, depression may play into the fatigue factor for us.

Good luck to you. Don't let it go too long like I did. It has a way of sneaking up on you, and there's really no reason for us to struggle; if taking a pill each day helps us along, so be it.

Love,
    Kim
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Fatigue with or without depression can happen with cancer and both are treatable. Sometimes your blood count is low, sometimes it's "just" all the stuff that is hitting you, and sometimes it's something else. No matter what, it really should be checked out if it is interfering with your life. Please see your doctor and ask for assistance. Life is too short to be miserable. Also check what vitamins you are taking with your doctor. Some are harmless. Some can interfere with treatment. A standard multi is all my oncologist recommends, but I'd even check that with him if I were on chemo. Good luck!
  • sylva
    sylva Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Hi Marilyn,
    All that's been said, is so good. Counselors, support groups, medication, and of course checking with your doctor. Something helpful for me too, is going to yoga, listening to meditation CDs, and taking things DAY BY DAY.
    I wish u the best.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    WOW! This board is the BEST!

I can't add much, except that when I was down, I found a distraction....usually watching a funny movie or TV show...MASH reruns were on every afternoon during my treatment.

I know you probably are tired of hearing this, but this WILL get better....I am 2 years out, and make the most of my days....

Someone recently sent me an article that was an interview of a stage IV cancer survivor (I believe). When asked what he did each day to fend off bad feelings, he said: "Every day we have a choice. We can either have a bad day or a good day. It's up to us. Even when things during the day seem a challenge, the correct frame of mind changes everything".

I agree with this, although some days it's hard...

Hugs, Kathi
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Marilyn, Sorry to hear that you are down. I wish I could help but I feel depressed quite a bit myself too. I have considered antidepressants etc... but as of yet have not pursued it. I think that it is a long term side effect of going through cancer and treatment. Hang in there and talk to tour primary care physician if you feel it is interfering with your quality of life. Eil
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I echo the words of the amazing survivors on this board~ cancer and depression as "kissin' cousins". Aside from the fear of dying which we felt at the time of our diagnosis, we then had surgery, chemo, radiation, oral meds....whatever it took to kill the Beast. And that niggling "what if" in the back of our minds, and the not feeling well, and the exhaustion, and the altered relationships, and the fear and the fear and the fear.... why wouldn't we be depressed????

It does eventually even itself out~ but by all means, see your Dr about this! This is your body, your life, your mental health...avail yourself of any and all avenues to get to a good place for yourself. If that means meds, or counseling, go for it! I found a walking partner, and slowly but surely got my physical self up and running ( literally) I will never be an Olympic contender, but I am doing a half-marathon in November. I feel better just thinking about that!

Take care, sweetie~ we love you!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Bill.S
    Bill.S Member Posts: 177
    Options
    In late April I went to the Dr BECAUSE of depression. While there I mentioned the lump in my chest and the rest is history so to speak.
    I've been taking Lexapro for several months and it has helped a great bit but I still feel the depression. Where would I be without the meds????
    Bill S
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I completely support the use of medication for depression when needed. But when my oncology social worked told me I might be depressed..it made me depressed! Then she set up an appt. to give me and antideppressant. I didn't go. I decided to at least TRY to boost myself out of it and so far, I have been doing good. I am focusing a lot of energy on my wellness, exercising, eating. The two things that have helped me the most are guided imagery and new age style total wellness books.
    As I said, antidepressants are good, but for me it just wasn't time to go on them yet. I wanted to write about some alternatives, and if you want to hear more, feel free to contact me directly. All my love, fellow traveller! love, Joyce
  • Breastcancer06
    Breastcancer06 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I just read an article that said that 25% of cancer survivors still suffer from depression the 2nd, third and 4th year. I am certainly proof of that. I just "celebrated" my 2 year surgery anniversary and not feeling like a survivor at all. I'm feeling like they saved the body but the spirit is gone. I went through all the treatment, but I no longer know why I went to all the trouble.