Anti-oxidants and their effects on chemo....???

Options
fight49
fight49 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have been reading so many opposite views when it comes to the level of antioxidants someone takes in while going thru chemo treatments.

Has anyone been told one way or another by their Dr. or Nutrionist about an effect anti-oxidants can have during chemo and if they help or hurt?

Thanks & Be Well....

Comments

• kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I gave this question to my onc as soon as i was diagnosed. He told me absolutely NO antioxidants. Of course i was receiving radiation treatments along with chemo at the time, and he said antioxidants counter-effect the radiation. My oncology nurse also told me that antioxidants can interfere with chemo treatments. So i stopped eating my beloved blueberries which are in season right now!! :(

I hope this helps!
    Many hugs,
    Krista
  • apache4
    apache4 Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that eating antioxidants is not the issue so much as how much. A healthy diet, which is what my onc advocates, would include some antioxidants. I think that anything in excess would not be a good thing even for healthy people.
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    I never asked the question, but took vitamins and a multi-vitamin daily while receiving treatment.
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    The only thing I was adviced against is grapefruit. I was not given a list of what NOT to take. Monica
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I asked my onc and he said it wasn't a good idea to take anti-oxidants during chemo since their job is to rid the body of toxins, while chemo was introducing toxins to the body for the specific purpose of killing off cancer cells. I don't take anti-oxidants on regular chemo, but now that i am on just Avastin, which is a biologic agent, i don't deprive myself. Blueberries are also one of my favorites, and i have a friend with very prolific bushes, so i get a HUGE amount of them to eat fresh daily!
    Mary
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I was told I could eat pretty much whatever I could - fruit wasn't high on my list because of persistent diarrhea etc. However, I was told to take no supplements except a multi vitamin without consulting with my oncologist.

Pam
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I was told by my onc not to take vitamins during chemo.
    Jo Ann
  • vbkeller
    vbkeller Member Posts: 6
    Options
    antioxidents and Chemo?
    My onc checked my vitamins and said ok---I take a multi vitamin and Vit E. Her concerns were to keep folic acid low----I am on xeloda.
  • jenhopesprays
    jenhopesprays Member Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Not recommended

My Onc told me to skip loading up on antioxidants as it counteracts the chemo. I don't think that means don't eat blueberries. It just means save green tea and supplements that are loaded with anti oxidants until after chemo.

What supplements are recommended when undergoing chemotherapy? This response is by Dr.Lenz my CC onc who is also a researcher at USC. Be sure to read the links at the end of the article. He specifically discusses anti-oxidants

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/blogs/heinzjosef/what-supplements-are--2462

Hope this helps.
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Great Question!
    Great question with interesting answers.

My oncologist approved of all of the vitamins, extra supplements, green tea, etc. that I took while going through chemo. I even drank massive amounts of green tea as well as some kind of tree bark tea from Korea daily. I have remained NED since completing my chemo in July of 04.

I guess this is another one of those questions with no correct answer.

Hugs,

Kay