Hi everyone

Options
ninjamom
ninjamom Member Posts: 142
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just want to let you know that I have been thinking of all of you even though I have not been posting I still read this site.

I went back to work on the first and to those of you who worked during chemo...How did you do it??!! I really admire you. I started working 2 weeks after chemo and I come home and go straight to bed. By the time I get home I'm so tired I can't even move, I come to this site and read the posts and for the life of me I can't get my arms and fingers to move so I'm feeling a little gilty for not replying to any of the posts.

Well...I just want you all to know that your encouragement has helped me so much I love you all.

Patty

P.S. Radiation starts next Wed.

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Each of us is different, as you know. I assume that you are done with chemo, since you are starting radiation. That means you may be less tired before long. For many people radiation is not as bad as chemo. Just remember, "this too shall pass" the day will come when you can look back on this as a bad memory.

Chin up! seof
  • kit45
    kit45 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    I don't post often myself but boy do I read and read this site. You are correct- The words of wisdom from these amazing women (and Bill) is so supportive and encouraging. I wish you well with radiation. I have two rounds of A/C to go myself. Thinking of you. Kit
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi Ninja

It's great to hear from you. I couldn't work for a week after chemo. I dont't know how others did it either.

Take care and keep us posted. The worst is certainly behind you.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Hi Patty, Well, it sounds like you are finishing chemo--congrats! I think you will find rads much more agreeable. I was lucky; I am a teacher and was diagnosed in April. I only had to have one A/C treatment during the school year, 3 during the summer break, and my taxol treatments coincided with the new school year and I worked through them(I took 2 sick days for each) but Taxol I found to be way easier to take than the A/C. Anyway, like someone said, soon this will be a memory. Take care, Eil
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Hi Patty,
    I have to say that those who are able to work are amazing but not everyone is capable of it and depending on what you do for a living depends on how much energy you will spend during the day.
    I unfortunately wasn't able to work since doing a very physical job and walking around a huge plant up and down stairs was more than my body could take as well as doing shift work and overtime which I needed to get benefits at my new job.
    The side effects can be way too much for those of us that suffer all the percentiles and as I tell people I started with one disease cancer and now live with 7 differnt disorders and live very well once they were all recognised for diseases they were. It took many years to get over all the problems but 11 years later I am probably in better shape and mentally I have certainly grown. Allot of good came out of this thing I had, bc.
    Learn to be your own best friend is all I can say and sleeping is the thing we should of all been doing long before getting ill so do it now.
    Tara
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Bless your heart! Chemo is sooo over the top tiring; it was for me anyway that my hat is off to anyone who goes into work during infusions!

I was an in-home caregiver for a Pre-Alzheimers 80 year old woman; my job was really easy. When she napped, I napped! I seemed to have an energy burst early in the morning, by noon it was almost gone. My "charge" always took an afternoon nap after lunch for at least 3 hours, and believe you me, in that time I just collapsed! She was cared for by family members after 6 PM, so I went home. I cannot imagine what a 9-5 office schedule might possiblky have been like.
    We're glad you still come in to read the posts~ they are without a doubt the most upbuilding and encouraging literary masterpieces around!

Just leave us a wrd now and again so we can keep tabs on you, ok? LOL

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    Hi ninja! I have been wondering how your work week was going. Here are some positive thoughts. It will get better each day! You are healing. Try to ask yourself honestly whether or not radiation is making you tired, when you get there. Sometimes the power of suggestion is so strong that we become tired just listening about it. Here is my experience. There was this amazing woman at my same time slot when I did my rads. She was one week ahead of me and so kind of a model for what to expect. She bounced in smiling every morning, no complaints. I found myself following her example. I will never know if she was lying or covering up...but she sure changed my experience and without a lie I can tell you radiation wasn't too bad, even easy! (Though the sunburn ain't great...) I tell you that as you face now starting rads with your return to work. love you, ninja! Joyce
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options

Hi ninja! I have been wondering how your work week was going. Here are some positive thoughts. It will get better each day! You are healing. Try to ask yourself honestly whether or not radiation is making you tired, when you get there. Sometimes the power of suggestion is so strong that we become tired just listening about it. Here is my experience. There was this amazing woman at my same time slot when I did my rads. She was one week ahead of me and so kind of a model for what to expect. She bounced in smiling every morning, no complaints. I found myself following her example. I will never know if she was lying or covering up...but she sure changed my experience and without a lie I can tell you radiation wasn't too bad, even easy! (Though the sunburn ain't great...) I tell you that as you face now starting rads with your return to work. love you, ninja! Joyce

BTW.....I agree with Joyce about rads...they did not make me tired. The chemo, OMG yes! But I think I had a 6 week break between chemo and the start of rads, and rads was a cake walk for me. I had one of the first appointments in the AM and my day was free after that. I got the always coveted underarm and nipple tan, and who wouldn't want that????

Sheesh......that TV show Survivors doesn't have a clue, does it????? LOL

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • ninjamom
    ninjamom Member Posts: 142
    Options

I survived the first workweek, very tired and unable to do anything when I got home but glad to be at work. My customers and co-workers have been great and the fear of not wearing a wig went away the first day. I find it hard to believe how many survivors I have met since I came back to work. When people see me wearing my head cover they come to me and they either hug me or just tell me they have been thru it. I had mentioned that my office has a team for Relay for Life, they named it "Patty's Pals", that was very emotional for me.
    Tomorrow I go for the heart test in the a.m. and to radiation in the p.m. to finish scheduling time and markings. I will officially start Wed. and by the way I have been scheduled for herceptin to start Oct. 10.

Ok my friends, thank you for all your support and I can honestly tell you I'm so happy to be here to be able to tell the story and as much as I don't like going to work (when I'm working :)) I'm sure are glad to start my almost new normal.

Joyce, I will try to come and visit you next week :)

Patty