Ears are Ringing Since Chemo

Options
ldot123
ldot123 Member Posts: 272
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello all,
I can't remember if I posted this here already but here ya go anyway. Midway through chemo (about 15 months ago) I developed a ringing in my ears or tinnitus as it is called. I get occassional ear aches and seem to be prone to the odd sore throat as well. The ringing seems to be mostly constant with very little respite. Anybody else having this problem? Not sure if this is treatment related or just the luck of the draw.
Cheers, Lance

Comments

• pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine has had trouble with tintinitus since she finished battling breast cancer (successfully) 10 years ago - she is currently on neurontin for the ringing and it has helped. She was on something else, I can't remember what, that helped even more but made her gain weight, etc. She was told it was probably a side effect of the chemo - she actually got shingles in her ears and it damaged some nerves. There are some medications that will probably help. If you want more info, e-mail me privately and I will put you in touch with my friend.

Pam
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi Lance, i believe what happens is chemo breaks down our defenses and you probbably have a deep rooted inner desire to be a bell ringer and it is just manifesting now.

Sorry i have no clue but i thought i would try brighten your day a bit. i hope it gets better as i am sure it can be quite annoying.
    best of luck to you on your treatments.
    Mark.
  • ldot123
    ldot123 Member Posts: 272
    Options
    Limey said:

Hi Lance, i believe what happens is chemo breaks down our defenses and you probbably have a deep rooted inner desire to be a bell ringer and it is just manifesting now.

Sorry i have no clue but i thought i would try brighten your day a bit. i hope it gets better as i am sure it can be quite annoying.
    Mark.

You can call me Quasimoto. Thanks for the laugh. Ringing aside, I just want share with everyone, I feel great today!! It is nice to be able to say that given the up and down way I feel. Cheers, Lance
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Limey said:

Mark.

Haha! That was good, Mark. I needed that laugh!

Lance, i don't have tinitus, but i have been getting ear aches. Particularly during the night from sleeping too hard on my ear. It KILLS! I think it's tender and prone to aches now because of the mucositis i'm developing. The chemo is building up and manifesting its side effects in my head region. Hopefully all of this will go away for us in time.

Many hugs,
    Krista