Goodbye A/C

Options
NorcalJ
NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Finally finished the last of the A/C!!! Of course now I'm looking at 4 rounds of Taxol---but I was told a few times that it's not as bad as the A/C. I'm not sure how much credence I can put into the fact that those opinions came from people who GIVE it rather than GET it ( a true case of "it's better to give than receive).

So sisters (and brother), what's the true stuff on the comparisons? I've heard about the nail loss, neuropathies, and from all you, the UUGG constipation---how do you all rate the side effects of A/C versus Taxol?? I've already lost my hair, had some nausea and of course felt the end result of being run over by the entire Santa Fe railroad and a couple of the trucks following them!

I will wait for your words of wisdom and experience---in the meantime I'll go celebrate the half way mark and medicate myself with some chocolate---natures cure-all!
Thanks to you all.
Jan

Comments

• tan39
    tan39 Member Posts: 49
    Options
    hi Jan
    im not going to be of any help im afraid, im from Aus and treatment a bit different here, but i just finished mine and wanted to congratulate you on your halfway mark. I'm sure this helpful group can fill you in on the Taxol, but from me, big hug and get those choccies down you, xx
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I think I did everything just about backwards from most folk. I had Taxol/Herceptin first, then A/C after mastectomy, then radiation, currently doing Herceptin alone till Feb. I did have some mild neuropathy and nausea, but not even bad enough to take the prescribed meds except for the day after infusion. I also had some trouble with low red BC counts...they told me to keep up the protein intake. I had hairloss and chemo induced menopause with hot/cold flashes, moodiness, no period (I am 44)and I had the toenails on both big toes come loose from the bed, but not off completely. None of it kept me from working full time. I hope you do as well as I did, or better!

Best wishes, seof.
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    I asked the same question a while back when anticipating taxol. I didn't have that hard of a time with it. Yeah, the big toenails eventually came off. Mostly all the chemos just seem to get me emotionally more than anything else. I did not get neuropathy and continued my two weeks with neulasta shot schedule uninterupted by low counts. However, I did get a high liver reading one time and came to this board frantic. I was told this can happen, and mine went back down and so did my panic. Sure do love this board! Everyone is different, you may have a tough time, but there is no reason to go into it fearing the worst! Best wishes for an easy time. Oh, yeah, I also had an increase in B vitamins to battle neuropathy. Might ask doc about that if it hasn't been already suggested. love and chocolate, Joyce
  • NorcalJ
    Options

I asked the same question a while back when anticipating taxol. I didn't have that hard of a time with it. Yeah, the big toenails eventually came off. Mostly all the chemos just seem to get me emotionally more than anything else. I did not get neuropathy and continued my two weeks with neulasta shot schedule uninterupted by low counts. However, I did get a high liver reading one time and came to this board frantic. I was told this can happen, and mine went back down and so did my panic. Sure do love this board! Everyone is different, you may have a tough time, but there is no reason to go into it fearing the worst! Best wishes for an easy time. Oh, yeah, I also had an increase in B vitamins to battle neuropathy. Might ask doc about that if it hasn't been already suggested. love and chocolate, Joyce

Thanks to you all for the support & info.

How much Vit B, and any special ones? I've heard B6 is important for neuropathies, but can't quite pin down the amount???? Did you take more than just what's in a multi-vit?

Well, back to the chocolate---it's better eaten slowly and frequently! ;>)
    Jan
  • NorcalJ
    Options

Thanks for the info. How much Vit B, and any special ones? I've heard B6 is important for neuropathies, but can't quite pin down the amount???? Did you take more than just what's in a multi-vit?
    Well, back to the chocolate---it's better eaten slowly and frequently! ;>)
    Jan
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    Hi Jan

I think the worst is definately over for you. I had taxoter which is very similar to taxol. It wasn't 1/4 as bad as A/C. ( That red devil sure earned its nickname.) My hair started coming back after a/c although my eyelashes and eyebrows kept thinning. I had two lashes on one eye and three on the other. Maby thats why I felt unbalanced all the time lol.

Careful with the chocolate I've heard that it can be addictive.
  • NorcalJ
    Options
    Jadie said:

Hi Jan

I think the worst is definately over for you. I had taxoter which is very similar to taxol. It wasn't 1/4 as bad as A/C. ( That red devil sure earned its nickname.) My hair started coming back after a/c although my eyelashes and eyebrows kept thinning. I had two lashes on one eye and three on the other. Maby thats why I felt unbalanced all the time lol.

Careful with the chocolate I've heard that it can be addictive.

Thanks for the info. I'm an anticipator, but I like to know what to expect, so no surprises! Also, to get the right meds to have on hand---like all the antinausea stuff that's helped alot.

As for chocolate---too late, I'm way over the addicted line---but I refuse to do an intervention---I just share!
    Jan
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    NorcalJ said:

Thanks for the info. I'm an anticipator, but I like to know what to expect, so no surprises! Also, to get the right meds to have on hand---like all the antinausea stuff that's helped alot.

As for chocolate---too late, I'm way over the addicted line---but I refuse to do an intervention---I just share!
    Jan

Jan I am really easy to become nausiated. The taxoter didn't make me nausiated at all. I couldn't have lived without the antinausea meds while on A/C.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    AC was horrible for me but taxol was much better. Some bone pain and fatigue but thats it. Good luck with it, im sure you will do fine.
  • NorcalJ
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

AC was horrible for me but taxol was much better. Some bone pain and fatigue but thats it. Good luck with it, im sure you will do fine.

Thanks to you all! I love this site, can't get better support anywhere.

I can now go to my first Taxol without the reservations I had with A/C.

Love you all,
    (((HUGS)))