ileostomy reversal

Denise1966
Denise1966 Member Posts: 90
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all,
I haven't posted in a little while, it's been about 6 weeks since my surgery and tomorrow I'm going in for my ileostomy reversal. I'm really nervous considering with my first surgery I had a blockage which is how I got my ileo. I would appreciate anyone's input on this. How was the surgery? Is it painful? Is recovery long? I will be starting FOLFOX after recovery and that's another thing I'm nervous about. I keep telling myself to try and take one thing at a time. That's all I can do at this time.
Denise

Comments

• fedester
    fedester Member Posts: 753 Member
    hi denise,
    my reversal surgery wasn't bad at all, not like the 1st surgery. get up and walk, just be careful when you feel gas. i had an accident, i thought i had gas and it wasn;t so get to the bathroom as soon as you get an urge. i did mine between chemo no regrets.
    good luck with the surgery and recoop.
    be well
    never,ever give up!!
    bruce
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Hi Denise,
    My husband had a reversal after having an ileostomy for about 6 months. The surgery went well, but getting back to normal has taken awhile. Since you didn't have your ileo very long, hopefully it won't take you as long to retrain your colon. I wish you lots of luck and send prayers for a quick recovery.

You are right---take one day at a time. Worry about the chemo after you recover. My husband did folfox between his two surgeries and tolerated it very well. He was able to work most of the time.

My prayers are with you tomorrow.

Faith
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Good luck with the reversal. I didn't have an ileostomy so I can't comment. Many people handle folfox very well. I hope you are one of them.

Pam
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Hi Denise! Yeah, i guess it has been a while since you've been on here? I didn't even know you were done with your preadjuvant, and you're already getting your ostomy reversed?? Are they planning on giving you more chemo?

I also can't comment on the actual takedown because i still have mine intact :(:( green with envy!). Seems like you're really flying through all this! Congratulations on that. Let us know how that takedown goes. I'll be getting mine in about two months.

Many hugs!
    Krista
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    I was just wondering about you earlier today,Denise. I'm glad to know you're doing okay. Good luck with the reversal!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Limey
    Limey Member Posts: 446 Member
    Hi Denise, I have no suggestions on the reversal but did want to wish you well. what a fantastic position to be in where you get to make decision based on you doing so well. you go.
    Good Luck
    Mark.
  • 4law
    4law Member Posts: 110
    I never had Folfox, but when I had my reversal, it was difficult at first getting back into normal bowel movements. The surgery was not painful. I had an accident in the hospital that totally demoralized me -- but, my surgeon explained that without a rectum my new plumbing had to train itself to act as a rectum with less storage capacity. Everyone recovers at their own pace. I've been fine for a few years now, but at times my life seems to revolve around going to the bathroom. It does get better with every passing day and it sure beats the alternative. I can't explain why, but I have a feeling that you will do fine. Keep us posted.
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Good luck with the reversal, I am praying all goes well.

Maureen
  • Coloradian
    Coloradian Member Posts: 8
    By now you must be on your way to recovery. I had my Ileostomy reversal in march. Imodium is never far from me. I take two every morning keep my meals small during the day. This helps me get through the work day. I plan my day around my colon. In my family we refer to it as the sleeping giant. Once it wakes up I stay close to to a bathroom. I had my reversal after my folfox treatment. Hopefully that will go well for you. All I can say that the treatment is ruthless on your body but then that is what we want it to be.
  • azsunshine
    azsunshine Member Posts: 1

By now you must be on your way to recovery. I had my Ileostomy reversal in march. Imodium is never far from me. I take two every morning keep my meals small during the day. This helps me get through the work day. I plan my day around my colon. In my family we refer to it as the sleeping giant. Once it wakes up I stay close to to a bathroom. I had my reversal after my folfox treatment. Hopefully that will go well for you. All I can say that the treatment is ruthless on your body but then that is what we want it to be.

I'm so glad that I found
    I'm so glad that I found this site! I've been wondering about my ileostomy reversal that will happen next May or June (I'm thinking way too far in advance). My doctor will then make a loop of small intestine for me while my reversal heals and then 3 months later, the loop will be "pushed back in." Has anyone been through this?