Need to start taking Tamoxifen

Options
sylva
sylva Member Posts: 80
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It's been a week that I have the Tamoxifen, and I'm so scared to take it. I have a lot of varicose veins, and one of the possible side effects of the medicine are the blood clots. When I asked the oncologist he told me to take an aspirin, 81mg, daily.
Also I read that Vitamin E can interfere with Tamoxifen. Does anyone know it this is true? I take the multivitamin and it has vitamin E.
Anyone knows about Vitamin K, if it can be worst for the possibility of clots?
I think I'm over reacting over all this.
Thank you for any info.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I've taken Tamoxifen for 2+ years. My mom, also a BC survivor, took it for 5 years. Neither of us have had any side effects to speak of. Depending on your age, if you are still having periods, you may experience some hot flashes early on, but, for me, even those disappeared.

I take a multivitamin daily. I have osteoporosis, so mine contains higher calcium and D, but it also contains E. Ask your oncologist, but I doubt a regular (not a mega) dose of E is going to cause trouble.

With the aspirin, watch the tummy. Don't take it on an empty stomach, at least, I don't. My tummy started hurting from it. BUT, taken with food, it was ok...

Hope this helps, but your best resource in this is your oncologist or his/her nurse.

Hugs, Kathi
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    KathiM said:

I've taken Tamoxifen for 2+ years. My mom, also a BC survivor, took it for 5 years. Neither of us have had any side effects to speak of. Depending on your age, if you are still having periods, you may experience some hot flashes early on, but, for me, even those disappeared.

I take a multivitamin daily. I have osteoporosis, so mine contains higher calcium and D, but it also contains E. Ask your oncologist, but I doubt a regular (not a mega) dose of E is going to cause trouble.

With the aspirin, watch the tummy. Don't take it on an empty stomach, at least, I don't. My tummy started hurting from it. BUT, taken with food, it was ok...

Hope this helps, but your best resource in this is your oncologist or his/her nurse.

Hugs, Kathi

I took Tamoxifen for 5 years and had no major difficulties other than hot flashes. I've had vaginal Ultrasounds twice a year to monitor my uterous as urerine cancer is a side effect ,but 8 years later, I'm fine! My oncological surgeon actually suggested I take Vit. E to try to help with hot flashes but it didn't work for me. Everybody is different. I've heard many ladies swear by it. Speak to your MD and then make your decision. Whatever you decide is the right decision for you.Good luck! HUGS!! Cathy
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    I've been on Tamoxifen since December without any effects other than gaining a few pounds. I think that results outweigh some of the risks. But your doctor will be able to guide you better. Concerning vitamin K, my girlfriend was on coumadin because she developed blood clots and they told her to avoid taking or eating green veggies which contain a lot of vitamin K because it effects the blood. I don't think that the minimal amount of vitamin e that is in your multi would effect that much. Hugs, Lili
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Sylva,

Always make sure the Dr. knows exactly what is in your multi-vit. since they're not all the same. Take your bottle to your next appt. Also ask him about any other supplements. But, usually, the amount of vit. K is minimal and not a problem. Vit. K is what we all need to clot properly. Vit E has a tendency to thin the blood and thus be the opposite of vit.K. Most hospitals have dieticians who can tell you specifically what you're getting in your vitamins and your regular diet. The baby aspirin your Dr. ordered is a good blood thinner. It's kind of a preventative dose.

People on blood thinners, like Coumadin need to avoid increased amounts of foods with vit.K without changing their usual diets. This might not apply to you, but it's a good question to ask.
    Good Luck,
    Jan
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I had a slight headache for two days after I started Tamoxifen and noticed a change in my periods (shorter length and heavier flow plus I started skipping every other month) within a very short time. That might have been the start of menapause as I was in my mid-forties, but who knows? My doctors surely didn't know. But a Tylenol fixed the headache and it didn't come back. If you have hot flashes, it is supposed to be a great sign that it is working even better for you. I didn't notice much in the way of problems other than the headache. I did however get some stubborn ovarian cysts that did not resolve. That was why I didn't have periods as often (the cysts were egg follicles that didn't do their monthly thing...). That was a rare side effect of Tamoxifen. It was not a problem though it eventually resulted in unnecessary surgery for me to check out the ovaries. Overall, this is a very well researched drug that gives you great protection against reoccurance and a longer survival time. They have to list all the possible side effects when you go on it, but you are more likely to have the blood clots if you are older (like in your senior years). Even then, it is only a possible side effect. A baby asprin is not a bad idea, but be aware that you don't want to overdo the blood thinning medications. Vitamin E (the pure capsule dose not the multivitamin)and baby asprin at one a day do about the same thing and you don't want to start bruising at the slightest touch!
  • Minina
    Minina Member Posts: 5
    Options
    KathiM said:

Hugs, Kathi

Tamoxifen
    Hi there, I was diagnosed twice with breast cancer in 2001 and took tamoxifen for 5 years. I did have horrible hot flashes that not even Vitamin E helped. It could be snowing outside and I still had a fan on my desk at work! While on Tamoxifen, I developed degenerative bone disease on my back (spinal stenosis) and difficulty walking. But I did it. Then my oncologit started me on Femara but only took it for more than a year, because the bone/joint pain was bad. And believe, my symptoms improved a lot. Well, take care and have a great weekend. God Bless you always.
  • patbc08
    patbc08 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    tamoxifen
    I have been on tamoxifen since May. I am 42 and have not/did not experience any side effects. The info on the drug can be frightening but the benefits outweigh all of that - just know your body and talk to the doc if you see any changes.

Hang in there --

Patty
  • FHL45
    FHL45 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Tamoxifen
    I have been taking Tamoxifen for 2 months now and the only side effects that I have experienced are hot flashes, they were intense for the first month but are getting better now. My Oncologist has me list all the vitamins that I am taking, and does not feel that vitamin E in normal doses would harm me. I take a multi-vitamin daily.
  • Jeanjean18
    Jeanjean18 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    tamoxifen
    I, too am being instructed to begin tamoxifen, and am very leery and frightened to do so!
    I had bilateral mastectomy 3 1/2 wks. ago. I had stage 1 cancer, found via mammogram.
    The cells were found to be grade 3 and tested positive for HER 2 protein & estrogen positive. Went through 6 rounds of chemo(taxotere & carboplatin)and started herceptin.
    Tamoxifen is found on the list of carcinogens ~ really find it hard to accept putting this into my body and am not really getting good info from my oncologist as to how much better this drug will increase my chances of reoccurrance. The side effects listed are nasty & pretty scary!! How do I weigh out the odds here? It seems like it's two evils ~ risky not to take something that may help you but may hurt you also! Am I better just waiting a few months to decide, read up on drug and educate myself.....read more experiences found on this site before making a decision? My gut is telling me "not to take it" ~ that I just want to be left alone for awhile after surgery, chemo and just continue with the herceptin (1 yr. total time) and the reconstruction process.
    The oncologist says all this is needed "in case there are microscopic cancer cells remaining" but I feel like it's a scare tactic in a way ~ how much do you sit and worry about it?? I know cancer is really slippery and unpredictable as I lost my mom to a reoccurring bc bout after 26 yrs. being cancer free! How much is enough and when can you relax about it a little and regain some normal life and living again?? How much do we need to assault our bodies?