Job lost today

Options
base61ball
base61ball Member Posts: 125
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I knew it was coming, but oh Lord, didn't want it to be now - I will lose my insurance for sure - I am the only one besides the family who is on the policy and they are cutting overhead. I'm telling you - this cancer thing is just one challenge after another. Will have to start exploring my options to see how I will support myself now. Geez!!! Thanks for listening

Comments

• NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    Omigosh,
    I'm so sorry to hear your news!
    Can you get COBRA insurance? It's expensive, but at least it's insurance. I'd check with your HR for details. Maybe ACS has someone who could help you with resources? Sometimes, if you're connected to a University for treatment, or large cancer center, they have counselors or social workers???
    Good luck, this is a challenge, not a road block, and we're all here to support you.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Hello, so sorry to hear of this. I agree when I was layed off several years ago COBRA kept us going because I really needed to be insured. Also as time passed my doctors declared me disabled which resulted in my obtaining Medicare early and has been a lifesaver in keeping my medical bills manageable. Prayers to you!

RE
  • base61ball
    Options
    Unfortunately the COBRA is so high it wouldn't be feasible. I will barely be able to cover rent with unemployment. Am checking into several possibilities and agencies - I certainly have enough time now - they are always open while I am working so I can get things taken care of (I hope). I am certain they will drop me from the insurance as of August 1 so my next chemo 8/7 will not be covered. Have to be quick and get things in place as soon as I can. It will work out - it has to.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Sorry to hear your news. I would speak to my oncologist. There are many pharmaceuticals today that provide reduced rate medication for people with limited resources. Also, if you are receiving treatment in a hospital you may qualify for charity care. Acs might also be able to provide you with some resources. Good luck to you and keep us posted. Hugs, Lili
  • survivor51
    survivor51 Member Posts: 276
    Options
    My question is are they cutting overhead to save insurance hicking due to your cancer? I know many companies are downsizing but maybe the company can work something out. Surely they know you have cancer and might can work out something. Do check with your oncologist and the ACS to see how they can help. I have found the ACS to be extremely helpful in all areas including finance. My prayers are with you. Also check YME cancer site for assistance.
  • base61ball
    Options

My question is are they cutting overhead to save insurance hicking due to your cancer? I know many companies are downsizing but maybe the company can work something out. Surely they know you have cancer and might can work out something. Do check with your oncologist and the ACS to see how they can help. I have found the ACS to be extremely helpful in all areas including finance. My prayers are with you. Also check YME cancer site for assistance.

thanks for the tips - I will pursue all - am trying to maintain positive attitude about the whole thing. Company is going under so no help there.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are having so much going on in addition to cancer. I don't have much to add to what others have already suggested...ACS and your Hospital/cancer center might have some resources in your area. The center I go to has financial counselling services that do offer some help for those who don't have insurance, etc.

I hope you get help soon and easily. seof