blood platelets

vchildbeloved
vchildbeloved Member Posts: 133
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi, this is Valerie, stage 3 colon cancer; currently on Folfox with Oxaliplatin. I was told today that my blood platelets are too low to receive my chemo treatment on tomorrow. Has this happened to anyone else and how did you feel about it. Does it cause a setback as far as the effectiveness of the treatment, and is there something I can do to help bring up the count? Feeling really bad as this point. This would have been treatment 6 for me.

Thanks,
Valerie

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Both white and red cell counts were always threatening with me....I took neupogin for the white, something else for the red..can't remember...darn chemo brain/old age!

Only time chemo was stopped was for the white cell...for my own protection. I remain clean from the colorectal cancer, 3 years post-treatment.

I think your oncologist can tell you better on how long before it affects anything...but understand, this is done for your health. As much as you want to strike hard, none of the treatments are designed to kill YOU in the process....

Hugs, Kathi
  • Faith4Cure
    Faith4Cure Member Posts: 405 Member
    Hi Valerie
    My husband had stage 3 cancer and was also treated with Folfox & Oxaliplatin. He too had low blood counts and had to delay his last two treatments. We also questioned if this would be a setback and decrease the effectiveness of the treatment. From what I have heard, this is very common. As others have told us, your body can only handle so much. My husband was able to get all of his treatments, but I know others who have not. If it is affecting your body this way, think of what it is dong to those cancer cells! They are history! Stay positive and keep the faith!

Faith
  • pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    My treatment was stopped for low blood platelets. They gave me a shot of something and restarted the next week. I had no adverse effects. I wish I could have made 6 oxoliplatin treatments - I only made 5 before they took me off. I did 8 with 5FU and then the 28 days of rads with 5 days of 5FU. I am currentlyy 1 year plus ned. I wouldn't worry too much, stopping for a bit doesn't seem to effect the effectiveness of the treatment. Don't forget just a few years ago 5FU and luekovorin and radiation with 5FU was the standard and it worked pretty well. A week off, will probably make you feel better and let you get to the finish line with flying colors.

Pam
  • Melanie781
    Melanie781 Member Posts: 33
    Valerie,
    My husband just started round 2 of Oxaliplatin and Xeloda. His doctor hopes to get him through 6 to 8 treatments. That you got through 5 is fantasitic! I don't think you should worry about waiting a little bit to build up your platelets. The oncologist told us that it is normal to stop/start adjuvant chemotherapy because of blood counts, that's why we meet with him before every round. Please, just get better soon and stay positive!
    Hugs, ~Melanie
  • amyalbien
    amyalbien Member Posts: 2
    Valerie,
    I am Stage 3B Colon Cancer and just finished up 6months of Folfox (5FU, Oxaliplatin, and Leukovorin). I received both Procrit (for red cells) and Neupogen (for white cells) due to continual low counts. I had two treatments that were delayed by one week, and my Oncologist said that it should not affect the outcome at all. Rest assured that your body needs the break to rejuvenate. I managed to finish all 12 treatments about 3 weeks ago. Good luck to you...it will all be well.